A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Scanner PID's question

More
1 year 11 months ago #55634 by MrMike
Hello All-

Im in a learning process most all of the time. I understand that for instance- the STFT and LTFT should be within like 10%, but what about all the other PID values? Basically, Im looking for a list that I can print out that will give me a ballpark average reading for all the PID's or at least the most important ones that would be on live data. I hope this isnt a dumb question.

Thanks,
MrMike

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #55636 by juergen.scholl
While there are some PIDs that are "static" with a normally expected value others are dynamic and will change with the engine operation conditions. Things like spark advance, mass air readings. pressure readings, rpm and so on come to mind.

Some scanners will show a typical reference range, together with the actual value. On my launch the pid data colour changes from black to red if the measured pid goes off the reference range. The reference range may also be static only, for example rpm referring to idle condition or engine temperature to a hot engine.

Most valuable information about "normal" yuo´ll find int FSM and from experience, using common sense though.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, MrMike

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 year 11 months ago #55637 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Scanner PID's question
Baro (barometric pressure) is a good one to get used to looking at.
I'm just about at sea level, so for me it's usually 28.9-30.
A skewed baro will throw off the mixture across the whole map.

Loop Status, or FuelSys is important to know if the ECM is using fuel trim or not. OL (open loop), OL_DRIVE, or OL_FAULT let's you know that the computer doesn't care about fuel trim at that particular point.

MAP (manifold absolute pressure), if available, minus the Baro equals engine vacuum

A generally accepted rule of thumb for MAF (mass airflow) is that at warm, low idle MAF grams per second should be very close to engine displacement in litres.
Recently I watched a training video from ATG where they state: (Max MAF)X(Max RPM)X80%= Theoretical Volumetric Efficiency for naturally aspirated engines.

Its good to compare temperature sensors before starting the engine to make sure they're all reporting similar temperatures.

That's a few any way, I'm sure the big brains around here will give some more :)

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl, MrMike

More
1 year 11 months ago #55640 by MrMike
Replied by MrMike on topic Scanner PID's question
Thanks you guys-
I understand that certain conditions must be met for some readings. I was just wondering if there is a list of all the PID's and what an average or normal reading would be- (i.e... volts, mV, mA, %, in Hg, temp, ect....). Ive been searching on the web and cant find a PID list with average readings? Maybe Im thinking way too much about this- I dont know.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his"

More
1 year 11 months ago #55656 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Scanner PID's question
That's kinda a tough question. :unsure: There's so many different year/make/model/engine combinations we see, it's tough to standardize data PIDs like that.

Everything Noah posted is good stuff. On turbocharged engines, I'll often do a quick rationality check on all the engine pressure sensors with the key off, just to make sure someone isn't skewed. Same for fuel tank pressure sensors.

TBH, you're probably better off creating your own list. ;) Work from the known good and known bad vehicles you've seen and come up with your own acceptable ranges. Update it as needed.

More
1 year 11 months ago #55660 by MrMike
Hey Tyler-

That's a good idea you mentioned about making a list because I've got 3 vehicles here and all are different makes. I can hook my cheap MaxiSys scanner up to them and compare any differences. I'm thinking this would need to be done in closed loop?

Thanks-

More
1 year 10 months ago #56392 by oic5555
Replied by oic5555 on topic Scanner PID's question
MrMike,

Found these at the local library online as they offer access to Chilton Library. Chilton had Scan Tool Reference Data for the PCM and TIPM values. Looks like KOEO and at idle, includes ranges as as well. Found these while looking for info on my 2012 Ram 1500, saw you had a 2010 Ram 1500 and they had the data for that year as well, see attachments.

Hope this helps
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl, MrMike

More
1 year 10 months ago #56396 by MrMike
Hello OIC5555

Man, this is exactly the information I was looking for. Our local library is for a town of around 500 people and they mostly have books on welfare stuff and childcare. This is awesome- Thanks very much for this and the moderators should bump your level up for this.

Thanks Again- You have a good weekend

More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #56398 by juergen.scholl

Our local library is for a town of around 500 people and they mostly have books on welfare stuff and childcare. This is awesome-

I agree a 100%!!

- Thanks very much for this and the moderators should bump your level up for this

A good start may be you pushing the "thank you" button.. 8-;

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by juergen.scholl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMike

More
1 year 10 months ago #56408 by MrMike
Thank You for your support

More
1 year 10 months ago #56412 by oic5555
Replied by oic5555 on topic Scanner PID's question
Your welcome,

Glad they were what you were looking for!

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds