A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Car won't start after scan

More
3 years 6 months ago #43386 by Maddawg
I bought a new scanner. The AP200 blue tooth reader by Autel. I bought this device to remove airbag light on dash as my Innova would not. I downloaded everything you need to diagnose the 01 Jetta TDI. 1 free download. I scanned and erased any codes it had. It wasn't really codes. It was readouts. I couldn't erase the air bags but told me it's was side bags. High resistance and seatbelts high resistance. After erase I unplugged reader and tried to start car and just cranked. Wouldn't start. Lots of juice in battery. I plugged my other obd reader in and it gives me a error. Basically no communication with ECM. What did I do? Fry ECM? The only thing I did wrong was buy this fancy (to me) obd reader. Car was in the on position and not running when diagnosing. Did have it on and door open for some time but turns over fine just won't start. My other obd reader isn't communicating either. Shouldn't have even worried about the light and concentrated on no interior lights,gas door not opening or trunk using switches. Frustrated. Was going to certified car this week after I just installed brakes and new exhaust. Now what.?????. Please help if you can. Thanks
Quote Reply

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #43387 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Car won't start after scan
Measure the resistance between Pins 6 and 14, of the DLC connector (where you plugged your scanner in). How much resistance do you read?

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
3 years 6 months ago #43388 by ScannerDanner
" I scanned and erased any codes it had. It wasn't really codes. It was readouts"

This statement is concerning to me. Not sure but it sounds like you got access to something you shouldn't have with that tool. You sure it wasn't also a programmer?

What did the readouts say? Just code descriptions or?

Don't be a parts changer!

More
3 years 6 months ago #43397 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:Car won't start after scan
I've seen no start after code clear before on diesel trucks if it had cod for fuel pressure sensor rational it would run in limp mode without the correct pressure feedback but after clearing code would not restart without using scanner to increase fuel pressure regulator when looking at scan data check fuel rail pressure and see what it says after sitting for a couple hours there shouldn't be any fuel rail pressure (no start would be sensor reading higher than actual) does the new scanner still have communication?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Andy.MacFadyen

More
3 years 6 months ago #43403 by Andy.MacFadyen
The AP200 is a good unit I haven't the tried the VW module but using it on BMW, Land-Rover and SAIC-MG it isn't bi-directional so I would assume this is also not bi-directional on VAG cars. I would guess that somehow you have a short circuit that has blown a fuse. With that in mond I would check the voltage between pin 16 of the OBD2 sockect and a good ground. with a multimeter this should be full battery voltage.

For OBD2 socket pin layout see www.obdtester.com/obd2_connector

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #43404 by Andy.MacFadyen
The AP200 is a good unit I haven't the tried the VW module but using it on BMW, Land-Rover and SAIC-MG it isn't bi-directional so I would assume this is also not bi-directional on VAG cars. I would guess that somehow you have a short circuit that has blown a fuse. With that in mind I would check the voltage between pin 16 of the OBD2 socket and a good ground. with a multimeter this should be full battery voltage.

For OBD2 socket pin layout see www.obdtester.com/obd2_connector

One question has your VW been fitted with an aftermarket radio cd player as this can cause major issues.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
3 years 6 months ago #43412 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic Car won't start after scan

Maddawg wrote: After erase I unplugged reader and tried to start car and just cranked.

Did you unplug the dongle with the key in run? Also was the App still connected to the dongle? Disconnecting hot shouldn't brick the PCM but does increase the possibility that it did.

Checking power on Pin # 16 would be a good first step. Then plug the AP200 back in and see if it can talk to anything. Then you'll know whether it's a no comm to anything or just the PCM that's offline.

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #63419 by Lwaldemar4
Hello my car will turn over but won’t start after using a hyper tough code reader for my first time. I saw that you asked him if he unplugged it while the key was still turned on in the ignition. That’s exactly what I did and I was wondering if doing that had something to do with why it won’t start. Could you please explain a bit more about it? I don’t know anything about this stuff. Thank you!

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds