× A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Scantool Reviews

• Tyler
  • Letting the magic smoke out since 2011
More
18 Sep 2019 16:38 #33672 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Scantool Reviews
I've been meaning to play with that functionality more. :blush: I've also got a new ELM327 adapter to try out, so I'll let you know what I find!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tyler
More
19 Sep 2019 17:15 - 19 Sep 2019 17:20 #33688 by Tyler
Finally got the bidirectional control to work. :lol: Donut, you were right on with the 'Control' button. I never would have gotten there without your suggestion.

For everyone else, the button we're talking about is this one:

But before you click it, you have to first load up the data PID's you want to watch, AND which controls you want to use. I went with the VCT system as an example because the commands will reflect in the data nicely.

Choosing the data to watch:

Then picking out the output control:

Then hit Play at the lower left, then Control, and you get the menu to run the outputs. :cheer: The first picture shows the VCT control working perfectly.

There's other fun stuff, too, like the Commanded Equivalnce Ratio function. This gives you direct control of the air/fuel ratio, much like the Toyota and Nissan functional tests. I have a Modis Ultra at 19.4 - this test is nowhere on it.

Only had a couple minutes but while I was able to find the menu, couldn't get any outputs to actually work. The Forscan forums say the module needs to be put into a diagnostic mode in order to use output commands, which is news to me and am unsure if the Forscan software does that automatically when an output command is sent.

From my experience, I think this has more to do with the test you're choosing and when you try to run it? For giggles I tried the All Injectors Disabled test for relative compression purposes. It works, but only if you start the test KOEO. :silly: If you try it with the engine running, nothing happens.

There's other limitations that I found while playing around. With the VCT command, if I had the slider at -13 degrees (which is possible for this engine) and moved it to +25 degrees (which is impossible on this engine), the test quit and just went back to open loop.
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Sep 2019 17:20 by Tyler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen, Andy_

• TheTechWhisperer
More
20 Sep 2019 08:49 #33710 by TheTechWhisperer
Replied by TheTechWhisperer on topic Scantool Reviews
I recently heard about FORScan on Diag.net and downloaded it last week. I am shocked how much it can do, in the limited time I have used it so far. It honestly seems like one of those things that seems too good to be true. It's amazing!

"You will always find the greatest fulfillment in life when you are operating in the gifts God gave you"- Dad

National Director of Technical Training & Mechanical Operations - Express Oil Change & Tire Engineers
ASE Master L1 Tech
BMW Master Tech
Ford FACT Advanced Electronics Instructor

More
20 Sep 2019 19:46 #33731 by Donut
Replied by Donut on topic Scantool Reviews

Tyler wrote: Finally got the bidirectional control to work. :lol: Donut, you were right on with the 'Control' button. I never would have gotten there without your suggestion.

Glad to be of service! Although it was a little tricky to parse through the instructions since the developer's first language does not appear to be English.

From my experience, I think this has more to do with the test you're choosing and when you try to run it? For giggles I tried the All Injectors Disabled test for relative compression purposes. It works, but only if you start the test KOEO. :silly: If you try it with the engine running, nothing happens.

I'm like 90% sure I was just doing something wrong. Just to see if it worked I commanded the purge solenoid on at around a 50% duty cycle but couldn't hear/feel anything. But by that point my time to play with it was over, had to give the car back empty handed. One day I'll get another Ford product to test it out on!

That's pretty cool with the commanded equivalence ratio. Can definitely see some uses for that in the future. And I'm not too surprised that the Modis, or any other 3rd party scanner for that matter, wouldn't have that output control. Their software designers probably don't even know what that is and fewer techs will know how to use it unfortunately.

The thing I love most about FORScan is you don't have to have memorized or written down measuring block channel numbers like with VCDS, which is a functionality on the Modis that is very frustrating when working with VW/Audi. The (comparatively) cheap Launch X-431 gives you the option for a full PID list or channel selection and a full list of every channel and a description; Something else Snap-On should take note of if they plan to still charge a kings ransom for their scanners.

"Don't ever say 'easy' until the check clears."

• Tyler
More
29 Sep 2019 08:23 #33911 by Tyler

Donut wrote: Glad to be of service! Although it was a little tricky to parse through the instructions since the developer's first language does not appear to be English.

Agreed, there's definitely a learning curve involved. But for this price, worth it!

Since my BAFX ELM 327 adapter will only do HS-CAN, I went looking for a better adapter that'll do MS-CAN as well. There's tutorials out there on how to add your own switch? But I'm lazy. :silly:

Picked up the OBDLink MX+ , and it works perfectly with FORScan. :cheer: Can't say it's any faster? But the functionality is there.

More
11 Mar 2020 15:26 #38257 by tspinat
Replied by tspinat on topic Scantool Reviews
HI ANDY : YES YOUR RIGHT WHAT YOU SAID .HOW EVER SNAPON YOU HAVE TO PAY $50 A YR FOR GATEWAY ACCESS. THIS SHOULDBE INCLUDED INTHE UPDATES. AS FAR AS AUTEL GOES THERE BEST AND FASTEST SCANNER IS THE ELITE.YOU WILL STILL NEED THE 12-8 CABLE UNTIL BOTH COMPANYS INCLUDE IT IN THE UPDATE PRICE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtech494

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds