A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Launch USA vs Amazon Prime Clones?

More
6 years 3 months ago #16808 by mph855
Hello, first time posting on Danners forum.

I wanted to upgrade my Autel Scanner, did my research and was set on the Launch 431. Found one on Amazon Prime under the seller Launch Direct, purchased about 3 weeks ago. I received the tool and did all the downloads, once I started using the tool I started questioning its authenticity. I went to program a proximity key for a 2011 Dodge Charger, the function of the programming said its doing it but the results were an unprogrammed key. Also went to look at airbag data stream for a 2003 Chevy Suburban and it pretty much has no data values.

I mentioned this to Keith from New Level Auto and he suggested I got a clone. I started the return process through Amazon Prime and am now looking for a Launch 431 from a reputable seller. I think Launch USA is the company I want to get a tool from? AESwave.com has been suggested by many reputable people, I think I'll go through them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16810 by Tutti57

mph855 wrote: Hello, first time posting on Danners forum.

I wanted to upgrade my Autel Scanner, did my research and was set on the Launch 431. Found one on Amazon Prime under the seller Launch Direct, purchased about 3 weeks ago. I received the tool and did all the downloads, once I started using the tool I started questioning its authenticity. I went to program a proximity key for a 2011 Dodge Charger, the function of the programming said its doing it but the results were an unprogrammed key. Also went to look at airbag data stream for a 2003 Chevy Suburban and it pretty much has no data values.

I mentioned this to Keith from New Level Auto and he suggested I got a clone. I started the return process through Amazon Prime and am now looking for a Launch 431 from a reputable seller. I think Launch USA is the company I want to get a tool from? AESwave.com has been suggested by many reputable people, I think I'll go through them.

It's possible but I don't think the updates would have worked if it wasn't authentic. You can call launch and give them the serial number to be sure.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: mph855

More
6 years 3 months ago #16812 by Ben
I agree with tutti I had unknowingly purchased a crp123 clone on eBay the updates weren't done on launches official website bit rather some backdoor website... it was a piece of junk very unreliable I gave it away a very short time later ....

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
6 years 3 months ago #16822 by arbez

Tutti57 wrote: It's possible but I don't think the updates would have worked if it wasn't authentic. You can call launch and give them the serial number to be sure

I believe this is correct. The Launch was heavily counterfeited, they made so that the clones could not be updated. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't update at all, or would brick while updating. If yours registered & updated, it is likely authentic. You may find that the same tool, from a different vendor, will function the same as the one that you have now. You should contact Launch directly.

launchtechusa.com/contact-2/

More
6 years 3 months ago #16860 by mph855
Thanks for all the comments. I contacted Launch USA, provided them with the serial number. Launch USA stated the tool I have was "not intended for the USA market". I would have to go through the seller for support which could be from??? country. They provided a list of Authorized resellers of Launch USA which included AESWave.com. Since it was from AmazonPrime I sent it back today and am awaiting a full refund since its been under 30 days.

Now I am debating between an Autel or a Launch.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16861 by arbez
Good deal. Authentic tool, but not for this country. Sending it back was a smart move & now you know. Hope you leave feedback on Amazon to let others know. It would be a shame to get stuck with a non regional tool.

I have found that AESWave is expensive compared to others. Make sure you do some shopping around.

I've never used the Launch, but have been using an Autel for years. It isn't perfect, but what is. With my MaxiSys & Solus I can cover almost anything. Ask around, I'm sure you will find someone with some Launch experience.

Look at some of the other scanner discussions. A lot of good points have been made in those forums.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16881 by Tutti57
I have a launch scanpad 071 and I like it for the price. You can pick them up for around $500 with the latest software. The only thing I dont like is the graphing. It works, but it's auto scaled and you can't change it.

I've had a two glitches with it that ended up resolving themselves after the battery was depleted.

I can make a video showing features if anyone is interested in a little demo.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16895 by Andy.MacFadyen
I must say I like both Launch and Autel . 99% of the time I can get what I need from my Launch Easy Diag2 Dongle all it really lacks is bi-directional tests.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #16896 by Andy.MacFadyen
Launch and Autel suffer from both grey imports and clones. The grey import problem is to an extent their own fault because they sell at different prices and have vehicle different coverage to different markets you won't for example find coverage of Peugeot or older Fiat vehicles on North American market products. In the 21st Century we live in a global market hardware will leak between markets, I think Launch might be on to good idea with the modular software on the EasyDiag 2 where you buy the hardware and the vehicle manufacturer software modules you need separately

Cloned pirated products are different issue the entry level Autel products particularly suffer from this, it is reported some work perfectly while others are trash. A lot of people are conned or more likely knowingly buying counterfeit Dephi/Bosch scantools that become locked if they try to update the software.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16903 by Tutti57

Andy.MacFadyen wrote: Launch and Autel suffer from both grey imports and clones. The grey import problem is to an extent their own fault because they sell at different prices and have vehicle different coverage to different markets you won't for example find coverage of Peugeot or older Fiat vehicles on North American market products. In the 21st Century we live in a global market hardware will leak between markets, I think Launch might be on to good idea with the modular software on the EasyDiag 2 where you buy the hardware and the vehicle manufacturer software modules you need separately

Cloned pirated products are different issue the entry level Autel products particularly suffer from this, it is reported some work perfectly while others are trash. A lot of people are conned or more likely knowingly buying counterfeit Dephi/Bosch scantools that become locked if they try to update the software.

I did pick up an Autel as a back up that communicates with OBD2, abs, and srs for $100 on Amazon. It has worked fine so far but I haven't tried updating it yet. Can't beat it for $100. Of course it doesn't have bidirectional controls at that price point though. The scan pad was about as cheap as I could find that does that was modern. I was looking at the brick and other snap on but I hate those personality keys. The launch updates are frequent and fast downloads.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #16907 by arbez

mph855 wrote: Thanks for all the comments. I contacted Launch USA, provided them with the serial number. Launch USA stated the tool I have was "not intended for the USA market". I would have to go through the seller for support which could be from??? country. They provided a list of Authorized resellers of Launch USA which included AESWave.com. Since it was from AmazonPrime I sent it back today and am awaiting a full refund since its been under 30 days.

If your still thinking about an Autel:

AUTEL DS808 Lightning Deal on Amazon - $639.20 - Today only

www.amazon.com/Autel-Diagnostic-Function...ywords=MaxiDAS+DS808

It's only for the next few hours

Unbeatable deal
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by arbez. Reason: Mental Issues
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57

More
6 years 3 months ago #16911 by Tutti57

arbez wrote:

mph855 wrote: Thanks for all the comments. I contacted Launch USA, provided them with the serial number. Launch USA stated the tool I have was "not intended for the USA market". I would have to go through the seller for support which could be from??? country. They provided a list of Authorized resellers of Launch USA which included AESWave.com. Since it was from AmazonPrime I sent it back today and am awaiting a full refund since its been under 30 days.

If your still thinking about an Autel:

AUTEL DS808 Lightning Deal on Amazon - $639.20 - Today only

www.amazon.com/Autel-Diagnostic-Function...ywords=MaxiDAS+DS808

It's only for the next few hours

Unbeatable deal

Wow. Just buy that if you have the money.

More
6 years 3 months ago #17050 by mph855
Thanks for the link, I saw your post a day after the Autel deal expired.

I bought a Launch 431 pro through AESwave.com. They were the cheapest authorized dealer I could find for the tool. I considered an Autel, but was worried to be in the same situation with getting a grey market scan tool. Awaiting the new Launch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57

Time to create page: 0.363 seconds