Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Car Electrocutes Me??? WTF

More
6 years 3 months ago #17162 by jsvets2326
So just sent all day fixing a no start. Ended up being an open in BAT+ wire to the COPs, so I had no primary voltage. Now the car starts but when I went to grab my test light it shocked the hell out me. Light was hooked to ground, and I soon realized if I touched a ground I got shocked. Anyone have any idea where I should start, seems like a bad ground but I have no idea where to start on this one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #17179 by jsvets2326
Has anyone ever heard of this problem? It is a constant shock until you let go of the ground.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #17187 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Car Electrocutes Me??? WTF
Seriously?
That's never happened to me...
What are you working on?
Just a regular gasoline engine?

Maybe a combination of a bad block ground and a coil arcing outside the combustion chamber? Just a wild guess.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Noah.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #17227 by Gjauto
Replied by Gjauto on topic Car Electrocutes Me??? WTF
So with both ends of the test light on ground it shocks you?

That sounds like coil secondary voltage to me.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Gjauto.

More
6 years 3 months ago #17243 by jsvets2326
Test light connected to battery ground other end in my hand when I went to pick it up, and the car was off. There's a constant voltage going through the ground that shocked me until I dropped the test light. It's a 2004 mercury grand marquis 4.6. After that when I touched any ground I noticed I was getting shocked with the car off. After about 5min with car off it seemed the voltage disapppates and you don't get shocked.

More
6 years 3 months ago #17244 by jsvets2326
It's not that important they only called me in to fix the no start, as they started throwing parts at it and nothing was working cuz BAT+ to the COPs was open and no part is going to fix a broken wire. And they would have put a Computer in it if it didn't require new keys to do that, so they called me to confirm ECU. Man they wasted a lot of money before calling me maybe they call me quicker next time . But anyways they might not call me back to fix this shocking problem but I've never seen it before and have no idea what could be possible cause; ac voltage, bad grounds, short to BAT+....

• Noah
More
6 years 3 months ago #17256 by Noah
The car wasn't even running?!?
Hid headlights?
I've worked on a lot of those cars, I sure would like to know what was going on. If you get called back to look at it, make sure to keep us in the loop.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #17260 by Smitty Smithsonite
I'm with Noah on either HID headlights, or, all of the coils are partially shorted - that's about all I can come up with there ... aside from a household power wire laying on the roof or something.

Ahh I should read the posts before posting ...

Anyway, there could be something strange going on where all the coils are firing like crazy with the key on, engine off. Eric O. of South Main Auto has a video of something similar from a while back that I recall seeing. He wasn't getting zapped through ground, though.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Smitty Smithsonite. Reason: I am brain dead ...

• Noah
More
6 years 3 months ago #17261 by Noah

Smitty Smithsonite wrote: I'm with Noah on either HID headlights, or, all of the coils are partially shorted - that's about all I can come up with there ... aside from a household power wire laying on the roof or something.

Ahh yes, the old extension cord surprise!
Classic ;)

More
6 years 3 months ago #17272 by Sterline80
Why not use a volt/ohm meter or better yet scope to figure exactly how much and what type of voltage there is and where is it ( batt vs engine block etc)? Might get you going the the right direction anyway. Plus you can the measurement and see if anything changes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
6 years 3 months ago #17273 by rockp2
Replied by rockp2 on topic Car Electrocutes Me??? WTF
Just throwing this out with my limited experience and 0 knowledge on this car. Maybe pull the RAP relay right after shutting down car and see it still has the same problem. If not, maybe a bad ground on one of the accessories the RAP keeps alive or bad ground in RAP circuit itself?

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds