Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Crankshaft variation relearn

More
6 years 3 months ago #16920 by autojoe
If after replacing a cps and not doing a crankshaft position variation relearn what would be the symptoms?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16923 by arbez
Replied by arbez on topic Crankshaft variation relearn
What kind of vehicle? Some cars nothing. Some cars check engine light. Some cars may not start at all.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16925 by autojoe
Start run 10-20 minutes then stall. Misfire.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16926 by arbez
What kind of vehicle?

Year, Make, Model & Engine Size. Please.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16927 by autojoe
2008 Buick Lucerne 3.8

More
6 years 3 months ago #16928 by arbez

autojoe wrote: 2008 Buick Lucerne 3.8

Yea.....

GM you should have to do a relearn. I would expect random misfire codes, not really stalling after 10 minutes.

Check engine light on? Any codes?

More
6 years 3 months ago #16929 by autojoe
P0300. Stalls after 10-20 minutes. Misfire on cylinders 2/5 on scanner. Fuel gauge fluctuates during misfire.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #16931 by arbez
300 Is your random misfire. Do a relearn & retest. Hopefully the relearn will take care of the rest.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by arbez. Reason: Can't spell worth a darn

More
6 years 3 months ago #16932 by autojoe
Thanks do you need a scan tool for relearn?

More
6 years 3 months ago #16933 by arbez
Yes
The following user(s) said Thank You: autojoe

More
6 years 3 months ago #16934 by Gjauto
Replied by Gjauto on topic Crankshaft variation relearn
yes you need a scanner to do the relearn.

You might also check misfire counters on scan tool see if any cylinders report active misfires. If the engine runs smooth, and you do not feel misfires, try using injector disable on scanner and see if the engine responds to each cylinder. Common problem solved by relearn. Good luck!

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #16969 by Tutti57
I just did one on a 3800 and either my scan tool or Mitchel 1 have another procedure if you do not have a scan tool. I'll check to see if I can find it but it looked like it would be a pain to get it to work. It I involved holding certain speeds for specific periods of time.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Tutti57.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #16998 by graywave
I know on some GMs, after initializing the crank variation relearn in the scanner it asks you to floor the throttle till the engine hits the rpm limiter and then its all learned. Not sure if its the same for this vehicle though. I think this was on GM 4.3, 5.7 and 5.3 engines

Confirm what it's not, and fix what it is!
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by graywave.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #17015 by graywave
Crank Variation Relearn Information from ALLDATA for your specific vehicle.

Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn

Important: The Crankshaft Position (CKP) system variation learn procedure is also required when the following service procedures have been performed, regardless of whether DTC P0315 is set:

* An engine replacement

* A control module replacement

* A crankshaft balancer replacement

* A crankshaft replacement

* A CKP sensor replacement

* Any engine repairs which disturb the crankshaft to CKP sensor relationship.

Important: The control module monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the CKP System Variation Learn Procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool displays the signals of the following components:

* CKP sensors activity-If there is a CKP sensor condition, Refer to the applicable DTC that set.

* Camshaft position (CMP) signal activity-If there is a CMP signal condition, Refer to the applicable DTC that set.

* Engine coolant temperature (ECT)-If the engine coolant temperature is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.

1. Install a scan tool.
2. Monitor the powertrain control module (PCM) for DTCs with a scan tool. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P0315, Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle (See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions) for the applicable DTC that set.
3. With a scan tool, select the CKP System Variation Learn Procedure and perform the following:

1. Block drive wheels.
2. Set parking brake.
3. DO NOT apply brake pedal.
4. Cycle ignition from OFF to ON.
5. Apply and hold brake pedal for the duration of the procedure.
6. Start and idle engine.
7. Turn the air conditioning (A/C) OFF.
8. The vehicle must remain in Park or Neutral.

Important: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.

9. Accelerate to wide open throttle (WOT) and release when the fuel cut-off occurs.

4. The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this Ignition. If the scan tool indicates that DTC P0315 ran and passed, the CKP variation learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P0315 failed or did not run, or another DTC is present, Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle (See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions) and perform the appropriate diagnostic procedure.
5. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully in order to store the CKP system variation values in the PCM memory.

Confirm what it's not, and fix what it is!
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by graywave.

More
2 years 4 months ago #53599 by Golliher
What are inexpensive scanners that are capable of doing the cps variation relearn?

I have a 2007 GMC 6L v8 vortec (in an RV)

More
2 years 4 months ago #53630 by autojoe
www.mythinkcar.com
thinkdiag by thinkcar
Bluetooth that runs on your smartphone
Runs like 100 dollars
Look at manufacturers software when purchase you might get all of them for one year free then have to pay for individual ones then not sure has bi directional controls and special functions
You could contact them on web site and ask them. I seen good reviews
I have pricey snap on versus edge. Wanted to share this with you let me know how you think

More
2 years 1 month ago #55365 by hodged
Replied by hodged on topic Crankshaft variation relearn
I replaced a PCM on a 2005 Corvette (long story short - no run condition) for customer. I programmed PCM with the latest calibration file per GM SPS2 application using CARDAQ 3. I then performed security procedure and now the vehicle runs great. I am trying to perform crankshaft variation learn procedure and one of the steps is to perform WOT until fuel limiter engages. My problem or concern is that I was at around 6800 RPMs (at redline or slightly past) the vehicle never hit the rev limiter. I immediately released the throttle in fear that I would blow the engine. The CEL is on because of the crank variation issue. It also had an EVAP code before but I cleared all PCM fault codes and the only code that returns is P0315. How do you perform the crankshaft variation procedure with no rev limiter? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

More
1 year 4 months ago #59247 by ian.evesham
How about an honda fit 2003

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds