Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Nissan no ECM comm.

More
6 years 4 months ago #16830 by Bigfoote13
Greetings, I have this 2005 Xterra that has no start, no spark and no 5 volt reference 2 the modules. And I am trying to locate exactly which ECM relay is in the power distribution center. Anyway I have a question about "CAN voltages checked via CONSULT". I found this procedure on Identifix in the network diagnostic flow chart during my research. Can anybody clue me in on what is CONSULT? Thanks for any info. I know which fuse is the ECM fuse but not exactly which relay it is in the IPDS. I actually didn't check fuse 12 and 19 under the dash for the data link connector power I was looking under the hood at the ECM relay. I will do that tomorrow to see if one of those fuses are blown.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #16876 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Nissan no ECM comm.
Hey there! CONSULT is the Nissan OE scan tool. I believe CONSULT II or III is the version that'd get used with your '05 Xterra, but they're up to III+ for newer vehicles.

Anyway, I dunno if this'll help, but here's an IPDM diagram that points out exactly which relay is the ECM Relay:

File Attachment:

File Name: document12.pdf
File Size:226 KB

I think you're right to chase the ECM Relay, BTW. I've heard of these being a common failure item, so don't hesitate to swap it with another relay in the IPDM if you're suspicious.
Attachments:

More
6 years 3 months ago #16892 by Bigfoote13
Replied by Bigfoote13 on topic Nissan no ECM comm.
Thank you Tyler that helps a lot I couldn't find that anywhere. I know which 20 amp fuse is the fuse to it but it wouldn't click any relay so it just might be that! And it did say and I'm Nissan TSB file that it was a No-No to just switch out the relays because each one of them could be different and not to disconnect them when the key was on but the cooling fan relays power on all the time with the key on also. Anyway I'll let you know what I find out today. Thanks again! By the way where did you find that diagram?

More
6 years 3 months ago #16917 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:Nissan no ECM comm.
Be sure to check all your fuses in the interior box as well I had 1 a while back that had no com no fuel pump and no 5v ref and i traced it to a fuse that had nothing to do with any of that but it showed it on the diagram as supplying power to a relay that had something to do with it!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

More
6 years 3 months ago #16930 by Bigfoote13
Replied by Bigfoote13 on topic Re:Nissan no ECM comm.
Yeah band thanks I did check the ones in the glove box area and they all seem to be good maybe I'll get back to that. I've been trying to trace everything down I found the ECM relay didn't have a ground reference through it so I disconnected the connector pins on the ECM found which one it was supposed to be then connected it back and then I was getting power through that but that didn't change anything fans continue to stay on and no 5 volt reference I've unplugged just about everything I can think of except the airbag module and a couple of others. Grounds seem to be good I'm thinking it's a bad ECM but there's got to be a reason why. The fuel pump was changed recently in the gauges are acting wacky because of that.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16936 by Gjauto
Replied by Gjauto on topic Re:Nissan no ECM comm.
check powers and grounds at the ecm before you replace it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bigfoote13

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds