Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Smart car fault code description

More
6 years 8 months ago #12971 by Richey.brown
Hi all, I have a Smart/City Coupe 0.6 L Petrol 2002 eng code 160.910 WME01MC012H028586
Fitted with soft touch transmission

It is a no start with 3 horizontal lines on cluster. Basically means it doesn't know what gear it is in so it won't allow it to start. It has 2 permanent fault codes DTC53 component programme disabled and DTC54 missing calibration. I have 2 scan tools that can talk to it and they both read those fault code numbers. I am pretty sure it is a manufacturer specific fault code and that is the reason I can find very little info on them. I am led to believe that the gear change actuator needs to be adapted to the ecu before it will allow you to start. It has had a new actuator but is still the same. Feed back wiring and scan data check out as there is a 5V ref a good ground and 2 feed back wires with bias 5V on when unplugged. The data pid read in steps also changes when plugged in to unplugged. Does anyone know if an adaptation can be done in any way other than using a main dealer tool. Many thanks for your help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12977 by Dead_Eric
Found a couple comments on this that might be helpful.

One guy said he turned the key on to run, applied the brake, shifted through all of the gears, turned the key off and it started. Someone else said that comment saved him a ton of money.

The other guy said the dealer quoted the shift motor and the actuator but it was only the shift motor.

More
6 years 8 months ago #12983 by Richey.brown
Hi great info thanks. I have tried foot on brake shifting through the gears with ign on but still the same. It has also been fitted with another gear motor all though it was a second hand unit I believe. But the same fault codes are still stored and are permanent. It doesnt have any voltage on the two wires which feed the motor but I would expect this with these fault codes as both wires come from the ECU so it can reverse its polarity. In your post did you mean the key was being held in the crank position?

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds