For those interested in the other side of eternity

Struggling to get sober.

More
3 years 4 months ago #45026 by johnathon.balderas
Not many know I'm an alcoholic due to being able to manage it well. I don't drink everyday mostly weekends and when I do its at night where I can manage it due to everyone being asleep. I dont even drink liquor only beer. I don't hide it though my wife knows. I used to never understand addiction I had never gone through it. When i used to smoke pot in high school I just stopped.

I feel cursed with this. Might be a generational curse passed down from my mom. She is an alcoholic as well and she garners alot of attention due to her behavior. I feel alone in this sometimes due to no one having gone through this except my mom. But she is unreliable due to being drunk half the time. My dad is an ex drug addict/alcoholic but his addiction was more extreme than mine and he seems to dismiss my struggles.
That's not his fault though. So much is going on with my little family we are struggling financially and its not helping my addiction. Sorry for this jumbled mess of words I just have alot going on in my head and need to vent
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #45028 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Struggling to get sober.
Strength to you, brother. If you have the desire, when the time is right, you will make the change. It won't be easy. But, you can do it. :) I believe, the time is near. ;)

12 years sober, and counting.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen, johnathon.balderas

More
3 years 4 months ago #45032 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:Struggling to get sober.
Hang in there. Times are tough now, so I'm sure that's not helping any. If you feel that you need help, when you are ready, reach out to a local group for some assistance. There are online options now where you can meet with a counselor through video chat at your convenience too.

Nissan Tech

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 4 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #45078 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:Struggling to get sober.
Addiction is a real mother fucker
I had to make HUGE mistakes to realize that I had a problem.
Thankfully I survived and learned from my mistakes. I've lost very close loved ones to addiction, add it fucking hurts every day.
I'm not exactly a role model, but if you need to talk you can PM me.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Noah. Reason: Roll-Role

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #45120 by Andy.MacFadyen
Having had an alcoholic mother myself I get where you are coming from and where you are.
We are the products of our genes but we are gifted with free will, not always easy in fact most times dammed it is tough but when we are in a bad place we can find our way out. As an older guy looking back on life I made good decisions, bad decisions, some for good reasons some for selfish reasons. Just try and be the best person you can be, don't blame yourself for where you are look to the future and be determind to find a way to a brighter life.

The artist Frida Kahlo wrote " At the end of the day we can endure much more than we think we can."

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnathon.balderas, Tutti57

More
3 years 4 months ago #45123 by CeezerG
Replied by CeezerG on topic Struggling to get sober.
Go vent somewhere else man, I’m sure there are other forums for that. that’s not what this forum is for. I’m not paying monthly subscription to hear your sob stories. Suck it up and be a man.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46058 by fall7rise8
Replied by fall7rise8 on topic Struggling to get sober.
An alcoholic friend told me he found some help at intherooms.com.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46672 by Paul P.
Replied by Paul P. on topic Struggling to get sober.
You don't have to struggle my friend. Get your butt to an AA meeting. You CAN NOT 'fix' this by yourself. It takes a recovering Alcoholic/Addict to 'fix' the suffering ones. Period. You are NOT alone by any stretch. Reach out for that help and never look back!!!!

Your already half-way there, you admit your an Alcoholic, that's Step One. Seek help my friend, you'll be surprised by the amazing people you're gonna meet!!!

In my personal case, if it wasn't for Jesus Christ, AA, I would still be suffering.

Signed,

Sober 10 years (I'm gonna catch up to Chad!!!)

Paul

Never stop Learning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen, Warloxian

More
3 years 1 month ago #47350 by John Curtis
My friend, addiction is a very difficult thing to deal with.

Addiction is the continuation of doing anything that you know will have a negative impact on yourself.

Like beating the addiction, the addiction itself is a choice (always a far easier choice than beating the addiction)

The only way to truly overcome addiction is getting the right mindset. Once you are truly ready, you will give it up. It takes a massive amount of mental toughness to overcome. Mindset is absolutely everything.

Do not feel hopeless, your wife knows your struggle. There’s no better person to ask for help than your lifelong companion.

Sit with her, set goals. It doesn’t have to be related to your addiction, set goals of what kind of life you want and want for your family. Make an action plan. Ask her to hold you accountable for reaching those goals. It might be as simple as saving an extra $$$ a month until you reach a goal to invest into yourself and your future. When you know where you want to go, take the time you would have spent drinking and use it toward working towards achieving your goal.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.

More
2 years 7 months ago #50780 by ScannerDanner

Go vent somewhere else man, I’m sure there are other forums for that. that’s not what this forum is for. I’m not paying monthly subscription to hear your sob stories. Suck it up and be a man.
I restored this deleted topic to address this comment. You posted under a "Scripture/Encouragement" thread! What do you think this is for! This is a free forum and is not part of your monthly subscription for SD Premium. In fact, please feel free to cancel your subscription. I don't want your money or your attitude. I'm seriously pissed about this comment. I know it is old, but this needs addressed. Anyone else that has this attitude, can also take their money and leave, you are not welcome here!

Don't be a parts changer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl, Chad, scott.tucker, Lupe, George Uk, A.Bernier, DarrenG

More
2 years 7 months ago #50781 by ScannerDanner

Not many know I'm an alcoholic due to being able to manage it well. I don't drink everyday mostly weekends and when I do its at night where I can manage it due to everyone being asleep. I dont even drink liquor only beer. I don't hide it though my wife knows. I used to never understand addiction I had never gone through it. When i used to smoke pot in high school I just stopped.

I feel cursed with this. Might be a generational curse passed down from my mom. She is an alcoholic as well and she garners alot of attention due to her behavior. I feel alone in this sometimes due to no one having gone through this except my mom. But she is unreliable due to being drunk half the time. My dad is an ex drug addict/alcoholic but his addiction was more extreme than mine and he seems to dismiss my struggles.
That's not his fault though. So much is going on with my little family we are struggling financially and its not helping my addiction. Sorry for this jumbled mess of words I just have alot going on in my head and need to vent
I'm so sorry I haven't been here. If this isn't a wake up call for me to be on the forum more, I don't know what is. How have things been lately? I have a story to share too, but it is still being written. When I am ready, Caleb and I are going to be talking about it either in a podcast or video. It has been about 20 days since I've stopped self medicating and I need more time to be able to tell my story. Praying for you my new friend. 

Don't be a parts changer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnathon.balderas, scott.tucker, Warloxian

More
2 years 7 months ago #51538 by scott.tucker
I can understand I'm glad you're trying to get some help stand up and fight for yourself and your family even if you have to fight yourself against your own lust and desires ,don't be ashamed, come boldly to the throne of grace ask God for help and also your friends, you done the first big step by admitting you have the problem
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScannerDanner, Lupe, Warloxian

More
1 year 5 months ago #58649 by johnathon.balderas
Omg I haven't been here in a while. Thank you everyone for the wise words and encouragement. The good news is I've sobered up and am doing better financially. I have been sober for almost 4 months. Unfortunately my mom passed away back in April due to alcoholism. I've been emotionally up and down. I struggle daily with my mental issues and staying sober is a challenge at times. But I'm blessed to still be here and able to watch my children grow. Thank you Scannerdanner for everything you do. Finding your YouTube channel changed my life literally. Your are a master at your craft as a teacher and technician. Plus your love for Jesus was the cherry on top. You have made me want to get closer to Christ and I thank you for that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Warloxian, DarrenG

More
1 year 5 months ago #58657 by scott.tucker
I'm glad to hear you're doing better , trust in Jesus that will give you strength for Jesus says he is a friend that will stick closer than brother he will never leave you or fail you,, I to went through a season of alcoholism after a failed marriage of 30 years, and I've always been a Christian and tried to live right since I was a child I went 48 years without having the desire for alcohol and started hanging out with the wrong friends that led me down the wrong path, I gave that stuff up 5 or 6 years ago and the Lord has blessed me by returning to me my old friendships that I lost and allowed me to start a new automotive business where I enjoy going to work everyday, that being said I just want to tell you that even Christians fell at times and it's wonderful that our true friends and most importantly Jesus will give you support
The following user(s) said Thank You: Warloxian

More
1 year 5 months ago #58771 by Esteban J Reyes
We all have our battles my brother but if we have Christ the Bible says that we are already conquerors so stay close to Christ,be filled with his spirit and renew your mind daily by reading his word and seeking him with all your spirit,there's nothing we can't overcome through him and sometimes God uses our human weakness to makes us grow spiritually ,to strengthen our relationship with him and to use our testimonies to then help others!Glory to God for these months that you have been sobered already and for the awesome things that he will do in your life!
Be blessed in Jesus name!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Warloxian

More
1 year 3 months ago #59597 by Warloxian
Replied by Warloxian on topic Struggling to get sober.
My name is Bill and I am a recovering alcoholic and drug addict. I am 56 years old and I have 16 months of being clean and sober. Brother i will pray for you. We all should pray for him. My wife's prayers are what delivered me, I am 100% sure of this. I was stuck, I knew I was killing myself and I did not have the power within myself to get clean and sober. My life is still full of struggles that are a direct result of my chemical use. I do understand this now, that I had to have a desire to get clean and to do WHATEVER it took to get clean and sober. If I kept going I would have either DIED and left my wife alone in this world, or been incarcerated. I have friends that are dying from this curse, but their desire to use is stronger then any desire to quit.
YOU CAN DO IT!!! You have our prayers, which means God is going to be working in your life, it doesn't matter if you can see or feel that, but he is doing a work in you that will bring you to a decision in your life. Do I want to loose my wife and my life, do I want to hang onto my former friends and associates. Or am I willing to separate myself from the people and places that help me to keep drinking, save my relationship with my wife and LEARN how to live a DIFFERENT life? I was the only one that could make that decision. No one else can make it. Once I made that decision, God started putting people in my life that would listen to me and help me through the rough times. If you need to talk, send me a private message. Or add me as a Facebook friend so we can talk in private. I love you brother, and if I can do this, after all these years, then so can you... I believe in you. www.facebook.com/bill.alexander.779857

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds