Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Closed loop fault

More
2 years 5 months ago #52323 by VegasJAK
Replied by VegasJAK on topic Closed loop fault
Agree with Tyler all the way, it's that jumper wire that's the problem.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52353 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Closed loop fault

Could I confirm this possibly by comparing both bank 1 & 2 rear O2 output voltages on my scanner or will the bias Chrysler uses not make that possible?

There's no harm in trying! But the bias voltage won't translate to the Global OBD data correctly. :( You may or may not see the issue on the scan data.

I think you're better off making voltage measurements with a DVOM to confirm the issue.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52410 by VegasJAK
Replied by VegasJAK on topic Closed loop fault
That won't work as B2S2 signal wire has been cut and wired into B1S2 signal wire. You'll just get B1S2's readings. That's the do around for that bad cat. That jumper has an open so now the PCM is seeing a steady 5v on the B2S2 signal wire.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #52412 by ksat22
Replied by ksat22 on topic Closed loop fault
On live data, both rear O2s report an identical, steady voltage at idle. If jumper had an open, I wouldn't expect to be seeing that somehow. I'll try to throw a volt meter on both sides and see if it differs any. 
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by ksat22.

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #52535 by ksat22
Just an update here. I rechecked live data for bank 1 and 2 rear O2s at idle. Noticed a flickering in the voltage level on bank 2 . Voltage was indeed going high at times (reached about 1.2) while bank 1 always stayed steady (I think it was ~0.70).

Decided for funzies to swap upstream O2s to see if that CL-fault would move and it didn't. Took a look at the jumper wire (like u guys suggested ages ago) and removed corroded-looking solderless wire tap used on B1S2. The tapped wire was chewed to hell after doing that, of course, but managed to solder the jumper wire to it and volts then stayed steady on scanner. I actually kissed the darn thing when the pending DTC didn't set when it otherwise used to. 

Inspection is tomorrow. Wish me luck and a big thanks to all of you!
Last edit: 2 years 5 months ago by ksat22.

More
2 years 5 months ago #52543 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Closed loop fault
Niiiiice. B) Did you get all but the cat monitor to set?

More
2 years 5 months ago #52544 by ksat22
Actually the cat monitor did set/complete. Just the EVAP wasn't ready (probably cause the gas tank was full). NY allows one incomplete considering the age of the vehicle, so I didn't have to wait for that one to finish.

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds