Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Re:Diverging fuel trims, help me understand

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #47941 by Speedwagon
2002 Ford Explorer 4.0. Idles ok, but throws misifire codes on bank 2 when under load, and doesn't want to climb anything somewhat steep faster than about 45mph.

I was looking at several data points, and noticed the fuel trims diverge from each other when the vehicle is climbing.

The other odd thing I'm seeing, is the fuel trims and O2 sensors flatline when the cruise control is set

Is this telling me the O2 sensors are going bad? They appear to be original to the vehicle (connector colors match the vehicle connector colors), and it has 200k miles.

Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by Speedwagon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #47946 by Matt T
Looks like a bank to bank breathing problem. Bank 1 getting too much air and Bank 2 not enough. Maybe a plugged Bank 2 cat or a cam timing problem.

The flatlining with cruise set it might be going into open loop for some reason??? Try monitoring loop status PID to see if it goes open when you set the cruise. Pretty sure it's just a symptom caused by the breathing problem but I'm just wondering why the PCM is doing it......

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #47950 by VegasJAK
Does B1S1 peg lean and B2S1 peg rich at 2500 rpm while not on cruise?

Not while driving, check the 02's from idle then increase to 2500. What the readings?

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #47951 by Speedwagon
Turns out, I have an 'error' for bank 2 fuel loop. Before is idle, and 2500 rpm in neutral

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #47961 by Noah
Error is likey a default message for a missing pid.
I've never worked on anything that actually used that fuel system 2.
The FuelSys pid is the only one you want to use.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Speedwagon

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #47975 by Speedwagon
Appreciate that info.

Trying to eliminate things, just did a compression test. 145-152 on all cylinders (warmed up for a few minutes, but not at operating temp, and at 5000ft Denver)

Resistant check all injectors, 15.5-15.8 warm (cold, they all measured around 14.5 if I recall correctly)

edit to add: Injector pressure drop test, starting at 59 psi on each, I got 30, 31, 30, 32, 32, 30

These are the plugs. 1 in bottom left. Doesn't look like 3 is firing correctly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #47981 by Tyler
I agree with Matt T, this screams VE problem. Restricted cat on bank two.

With FORScan, capture at least one wide open throttle run from a stop through first gear and into second. Watch engine speed, MAF, BARO, IAT, both upstream O2's and throttle position.

The OBD PIDS in FORScan are a little goofy. :silly: It's cool that they're provided, but they don't always work perfectly. Like the Loop Status. The OEM PID designations can be confusing, but I think you'll have better results that way.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #47982 by Matt T

Speedwagon wrote: These are the plugs. 1 in bottom left. Doesn't look like 3 is firing correctly.

#3 looks a lot newer than the other plugs. Maybe it ain't been in there long enough to get dirty? Do you know the history on this vehicle?

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #47983 by Speedwagon
Somewhat. I went through it after purchasing it for my mother, and found #3 had some random plug in it. So I replaced that one with what should be in there. Several of the plugs weren't in tight when purchased, either.

If memory serves, bank 2 is where I found 2 loose spark plugs. 4 and 6, with 6 being buggered threads that I had to reverse chase.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #47985 by Speedwagon
I had to let off the throttle for it to shift info second.

I just figured out I can rig my compression tester hose to my vacuum/carb fuel pressure tester, and make it an exhaust back pressure gauge. So once it cools off a bit, I'm going to try that out.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #47986 by Tyler
Thanks for that capture! Confirmed terrible VE:

Note that I added the actual BARO reading for Denver, which is currently 30ish inHg according to Google. But that's not what the scan data said. ;) The scan data says the local BARO is 72.something kPa, which is closer to 9000 feet. That's because the BARO is calculated by the PCM based on MAF readings. Because the engine isn't breathing correctly, the BARO calculation is impacted. With the skewed BARO reading, the VE numbers look like this:

That's closer to what they SHOULD be. But the first calculation tells the real story. I still maintain you're looking at a plugged cat on bank two. A timing problem is possible, but you'd think it'd show in the static compression readings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Wightscope, Speedwagon

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #47987 by Speedwagon
Just did the back pressure test on bank 2. I got 3psi (fluctuating) at idle, and up to 6-8 revving it up a bit.

Bank 1 was 1 psi, with almost no increase with throttle.

I'm fairly certain this is solved now.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #48004 by Wightscope
Thanks @tyler, went off to investigate that diagnostic method and learned a whole lot more at atgtraining.com/atg-volumetric-efficiency-calculator/
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by Wightscope.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #48012 by Matt T

Speedwagon wrote: I'm fairly certain this is solved now.

Just bear in mind that cat might've been killed by misfires. So check for those after the cat has been dealt with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Speedwagon

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #48013 by Matt T

Wightscope wrote: Thanks @tyler, went off to investigate that diagnostic method and learned a whole lot more at atgtraining.com/atg-volumetric-efficiency-calculator/

This is a good article on VE testing boosted engines.

www.vehicleservicepros.com/service-repai...d-engines?page=0%2C2
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wightscope

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #48018 by Wightscope
Thanks that was really interesting. Seem to be getting a lot of good stuff from VSP site recently

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #48027 by Tutti57
Here is another good article on VE and fuel trims being opposite bank to bank.

www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j...V45cCGn44omBMFb3D8Ic

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wightscope

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #48030 by Speedwagon

Matt T wrote:

Speedwagon wrote: I'm fairly certain this is solved now.

Just bear in mind that cat might've been killed by misfires. So check for those after the cat has been dealt with.

Yes, it probably was. But before I got the vehicle. 2 loose plugs, one of them being not threaded in correctly on that bank, and the electrode was horribly undergapped.

I did the right thing though, and just drilled a couple holes in the cat to test.
It's working much better now. Ordering a new cat to put in there.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #48043 by Tutti57
And if there isn't a core on the new cat, you can scrap that old one for some $$. Not sure if they'll care about the holes drilled in it or not. I just got $250 for three last week.

To test next time, and if possible, you can disconnect the exhaust before the cats and see if it gets better, and it's also possible for it to be clogged farther back than the cats. Just a heads up, since that would suck if a muffler or something was clogged and then you need cats too.

I remember seeing an SMA video where Eric got burned replacing a cat and it was farther back.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

More
3 years 1 week ago #48185 by Speedwagon
Given that the bank 1 cat joins the pipe just behind the bank 2 cat, it seemed highly unlikely, in this case, it could be anything other than the bank 2 cat itself.

Time to create page: 0.330 seconds