Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

FIXED 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L PO880. Trans in limp mode 4th gear

More
3 years 2 months ago #46077 by rpd1125
Hey everyone

I have a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe w/3.5 liter
Only code is Trans code PO880 TCM power signal error Open/Short

Transmission is stuck in 4th gear limp mode. Harsh shift from park to reverse and gear

Both TCM power feeds are solid and not loosing them when shifting into gear. However the TCM is not providing voltage to Solenoid power 1 And 2. Intermittently it will provide battery voltage for a split second when starting the vehicle then it goes to 0v

Have checked all 5 grounds all the way to up to pcm and solid both with continuity tester and ohms

I rarely condem a PCM but seems like it may be going that way

Shop owner provided a junk yard computer and it did not help (we did not program it )

Have checked for shorts to ground on both solenoid power wires from pcm to transmission solenoid connector. No opens or shorts to ground on both wires or shorts to power

Has anyone out there run into this? Is PCM only way ? See attachments where you can see how on start up the battery voltage on both channels plugged into solenoid power 1& 2 spiked up on start up and then went to 0
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #46080 by Hardtopdr2
This might be a short with the internal harness in trans or solinoid is shorted by some metallic debris. Have you ohm tested the solinoids and checked from power pins to trans case? It may be some debris is sitting on solinoid shorting it out.

Also have you inspected pins for green crusties, bent, missing pins pins stuck into harness conector?
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Hardtopdr2.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46082 by rpd1125
Thats where I'm going to proceed with tomorrow. I tested the harness from PCM to Trans was and not shorted to ground there. Will update tomorrow

More
3 years 2 months ago #46299 by rpd1125
Shorted Harness inside the transmission, thats why it would intermittently short to ground. PCM Logic would turn off voltage. Vehicle is fixed and shipped to customer.

pretty simple to check the power circuit for short to ground at transmission connector.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 2 months ago #46301 by Noah
Nice find, thank you for posting the fix.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
3 years 2 months ago #46303 by Hardtopdr2

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds