Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Re:2014 Passat 1.8t P0011

More
3 years 5 months ago #43505 by Tutti57
Complaint of intermit poor running and engine light on. The guy next to me has this with a few misfire codes and a p0016, a type of crank sensor code, so he put a crank sensor in. No fix. He was getting super frustrated with it so my manager had me take it over. My friend said he drove it down the street fine then it would barely run, cleared up and drove it back. Now found P0011, intake cam advanced.

We are a Nissan dealer but have alldata. Service info directs you to the cam adjustment valve. Two wire connector, with one line coming off a fuse and the other going to the ecm. I have good power but about 11.8v on the ground with koeo. That drops to 2.2v when I unplug the connector. I'm assuming it's a pwm controlled valve where the ecm controls the ground? Valve wire is not open.

I couldn't for my life find an ecm pin out, so I popped the caps off the ecm connectors and backprobed all of the red/white wires I could find. I believe there were three, and all showed about 0v. If service info is right and that wire doesn't change colors from the valve to the ecm, I have high resistance/nearly broken wire to find.

Does anyone have service info that can confirm this or maybe where that wire is on the ecm? The connectors and pins I found in the manual were not the same. I'm assuming I'm on the right module, ha. It's supposed to be pin 105, but the manual only shows them going up to like 94, with a note that you add another connector and some nonsense. Mine are two connectors that look about the same size but SI has two different sizes. The one I'm on is next to the batter and fuses. Sure looks like an ECM but who knows.

Nissan Technician

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #43507 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic 2014 Passat 1.8t P0011
It looks like the ECM should have two connectors. One with 91 pins. And, one with 105 pins. The wire you are looking for should be the last wire on the connector.

File Attachment:

File Name: 2014Passat.pdf
File Size:945 KB

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
3 years 5 months ago #43509 by Paul6004
Replied by Paul6004 on topic 2014 Passat 1.8t P0011
If the code is related to incorrect correlation of the sensors that could also mean a stretched timing chain.

More
3 years 5 months ago #43517 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 2014 Passat 1.8t P0011
For what it's worth, I don't think it's an accident that you found 2.2V on the control wire with the valve unplugged. Sounds like a bias voltage. Did you set a circuit code for the valve when you unplugged it?

I'd suspect the cam adjustment valve (vee dub calls it N205) is sticking or otherwise not doing it's job. If it's the part I'm thinking of, you can pop it out of the timing cover and Power Probe it to make sure the pintle moves. It should give you a pretty solid CLICK when full fielded.

More
3 years 5 months ago #43532 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:2014 Passat 1.8t P0011
Thanks for the relies. This morning I did a few voltage measurements moving toward the ecm until I lost that 11.8v, and after I did, my boss told me to do an overlay to fix it.

The cam code has not returned, but I did get more multi cyl missing. Tyler, I always forget about bias voltage. I was imagining this being a different type of part I think, not a vvt solenoid for some reason. It was low on oil, which of course mucks this stuff up, even though the dang manual says nothing about checing oil level/quality, only an ohm test, check power, replace with known good, the worst...After driving it a bit, there was a time when I got all of the cylinders missing again, which did make me think that the valve is sticking. Tomorrow I'm going to see if there is scan data for desired vs actual advance to see if I can catch it sticking.

Nissan Technician
The following user(s) said Thank You: vinnyAudi

More
3 years 5 months ago #43538 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:2014 Passat 1.8t P0011

Tutti57 wrote: Tomorrow I'm going to see if there is scan data for desired vs actual advance to see if I can catch it sticking.

There are. I like the VW Measuring Blocks for VVT concerns. Ross-Tech is kind enough to give us a reference:

www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/m_blocks/090-098.html

More
3 years 5 months ago #43547 by Tutti57
Nice, thanks. I'm having a hard time understanding my values. Before the wire repair I had B+ on one side of the component and the ground side had 11.8v with nearly 0v at the module. I knew the values on the ground side should be the same at each end and expected that the ecm had a driver that grounded it as needed. What I expect with the repair was b+ all the way to the module koeo but only have 11.8v all the way from ground to module and b+ on the power side. I'd expect v drop when the driver grounds it, but why am I seeing a loss there when reading what I would expect to be open circuit voltage?

Nissan Technician

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds