Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

[FIXED] Dead Misfire

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38707 by Blessie@123
Dead Misfire was created by Blessie@123
Hello Guys. I’m in need of Waveform and help Cam and crank Correlation on 96 Dodge Ram 1500 3.9lts distributor ignition system. Symptoms are cyl. 4,5,6 are dead as per cylinder drop down test. So three cylinders are not contributing. First we dis relatively compression are good, spark and Ignition are good. Customer have replaced the distributor rotor, cap, wires and plugs. Exhaust is good and no restriction. We checked those wires making sure they are on the right cylinders and they are all good. Injectors are good and we even checked flow test and they are all relatively the same. Now we are down to Input side of it. We have taken the Cam and Crank Signals and we will compare that with the Good Known Waveform. Pls i need ur help with the waveform and with some ideas for diagnostic. The distributor have been adjusted to 0 or near 0 degree according to Procedure and problem continues to exist. Pls need ur help guys. Need more diagnostic ideas. On the trouble shooter they talk about Distributor not in 0 degree at idle and shaft itself has a excessively play but not the case on this one. We checked it and they are all
Good and we turned the distributor 0 degree at idle using Data PIDS on Verus. Pls i need Help. Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #38721 by John Curtis
Replied by John Curtis on topic Dead Misfire
update: here is a known good from diag.net to compare to. Your cam/crank are spot on.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by John Curtis.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38723 by ScannerDanner
Replied by ScannerDanner on topic Dead Misfire
Is the misfire there at higher RPMs too?
Two checks I would start with at this point.
1. Head gasket issue (use a block tester)
2. Possible intake gasket leak (why I asked about higher rpm)

Don't be a parts changer!

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38785 by Blessie@123
Replied by Blessie@123 on topic Dead Misfire
Higher RPM has a misfire Too. It does not seem to change at idle and higher RPM. At Some Point of Diagnostic I have thought about Internal Vacuum Leak as this is a V-Type Engine, but it Does not Match the Vacuum Leak sypmtoms as Dead Misfire is Constant at idle and Higher RPM. We are gonna try to do Leak Down test to those affected cylinders 4,5,6. Put each cylinder to Top Dead Centre on compression stroke and leak down test it and see what happens. it is easy to get to those Cylinders anyway. I will keep u guys posted. Thanks for ur response guys

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38786 by Blessie@123
Thanks. My Waveform is dead on. Thanks and I appreciate

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38788 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic Dead Misfire
Do you have injector control and flow on them 3 cylinders?? Possibly a bad distributor cap to like on the gm’s that cross fire and cause misfires.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38789 by Cheryl
Also what does map sensor voltage and vacuum reading look like? Is it nice and steady or oscillating like a vacuum gauge would with a mechanical issue

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38791 by Blessie@123
Cap And Rotors are New and it was a tune up that customer did prior to bringing it in to the shop. we already through those Checked. Thanks

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38792 by Blessie@123
Injector control and flow test are all good. We did go through those checks as well. Thank You. it MISFIRE AT IDLE AND higher RPM. and No change at all

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38793 by Blessie@123
Vacuum Reading at Idle with dead misfire is bouncing between 13-14 Steady

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38794 by Blessie@123
We did Checked those Affected Cylinders for Leak down and each losing about 20PSi of pressure as well as the rest of the Cylinders in the Piston Rings as it is shown in the Dipstick tube and none through throttle plate and Exhaust Tail Pipe. My question now is, is it possible that those affected cylinders are not getting enough Air or not getting Air At all and How is that Possible? I have Exhausted all my Diagnostic ideas on this one.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38795 by Blessie@123
ADD On: No visible sign of leaking in the Cooing system during leak down test on those affected cylinders as well as known contributing cylinders

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38796 by Cheryl
What’s the oxygen sensors look like? Readings? Maybe see if the exhaust is plugged up free flowing on both sides

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38797 by Cheryl
And just because it’s a new cap and rotor doesn’t mean it’s good.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38832 by Blessie@123
Hi Guys. Just Keep Everybody Posted. Running Compression Test is the answer to this One. During Cranking Compression Test, it shows Relative Compression test is relatively the same as well as Compression gauge shows 150-155 PSI compression pressure in every cylinder. However, We did a Running compression Test and Number 6 Cylinder has 0 PSI compare to the rest of the Cylinders so We decided to take the valve Cover off and see it Physically what is going on in there. We found Exhaust Broken Spring. so The Running Compression Test is the Winner. WE would have never be able to catch the 0 Compression pressure if we would have relied only on Cranking Compression test or Based upon what the actual Compression gauge says Because really Number 6 cylinder shows the same reading as the rest of the cylinders. Thank You Guys so much for all ur inputs. I'm please with ur responses. we definitely learned a lot from this Truck. It almost get our butts kicked. Thank u guys so much. Peace
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #38834 by Cheryl
did you have a relative compression waveform? im sure it would have looked different for that cylinder because the exhaust couldnt escape the cylinder.

More
4 years 1 week ago #38862 by Blessie@123
I wish I could have saved it but I did not as they were relatively he same and I did not think I saw the red Flag during the test. But anyway, thank you guys so much. I appreciate all your inputs. May GOD keeps us safe in this Difficult time. God Bless You All

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds