Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

[FIXED] 1998 jeep grand cherokee no start

More
4 years 4 months ago #35679 by bill.rabadue
I'm new here. I love the videos that you have been posting. I need some help with a 1998 jeep grand Cherokee. I bought it off a buddy of mine to use as a trail rig. It sat parked in a garage for a few years before he sold it to me. It started up fine and we loaded it up on a trailer and I brought it home, when I went to pull it off the trailer it started then stalled now it will not start at all. I have no codes I do have spark the engine light is on and the fuel pressure is 45psi. I found the video of you testing for a 5 volt reference. So I tested the TPS for 5 volt what I found was that I have two wires with 5 volts. ( the wire is unplugged from the TPS) I know that I should have a 5 volt reference wire, ground and a signal wire. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35680 by Cheryl
That’s normal to have 5 volts on 2 wires unplugged. It’s a pull down sensor sounds like. Are the injectors firing?? They might be stuck closed from sitting for a few years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Curtis

More
4 years 4 months ago #35690 by bill.rabadue
Not sure if they are. I do not see a change in the fuel pressure when I try to start it.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35694 by John Curtis
Cheryl hit the nail on the head. However, if it isn’t gummed up injectors and you are getting spark, I would check for injector pulse. If you’re getting injector pulse, adequate fuel pressure, and spark, you need to see if the injectors are actually spraying and atomizing the fuel properly. Fuel quality should be a concern as well.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bill.rabadue

More
4 years 3 months ago #36203 by bill.rabadue
I would like to thank all for the help with my Jeep. I got it up and running today. Found that the spark plugs were bad. Tested for spark at the spark plugs wire not thinking to check at the plug but no matter got it running. Thank you for all your help.

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds