Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

[FIXED]03 Tacoma #1& #4 no spark

More
4 years 4 months ago #35599 by Otbrecords
what polarity or voltage should IGT1 pin be? If it is a problem then I should double check. Happen to be glancing through that Mitchell schismatic and found something interesting. See PDF But back to IGT1, I will check that first.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35604 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic 03 Tacoma #1& #4 no spark
If you have the pcm and igniter unplugged you should not get a ground on the igt 1 wire from pcm to igniter. If you do the wire is shorted to ground somewhere.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35631 by Burt
Replied by Burt on topic 03 Tacoma #1& #4 no spark
2003 toy taco Service Manual. I hope this helps someone.
www.markofshame.com/fsm/03_Tacoma/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Otbrecords

More
4 years 4 months ago #35633 by Burt

More
4 years 4 months ago #35636 by Otbrecords
Burt! Yes sir extremely helpful and I thank you. Funny thing I remember now seeing that flow chart in the beginning when I wasn't so far up to my elbows but dismissed it like a dummy. Geez, if it were a snake it would have bit me and then I would have bigger problems. LOL thanks again it gives me yet another direction to go in.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35637 by Burt
Replied by Burt on topic 03 Tacoma #1& #4 no spark
Awesome ! I got that manual off a Tacoma site a couple of years ago and being a Tacoma owner since 2003... its just great to have it, so thanks for that guy sharing it and i'm glad I can carry it on to someone else in need.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35715 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic 03 Tacoma #1& #4 no spark
Making any progress?

More
4 years 4 months ago #35718 by Otbrecords
Thanks for asking Cheryl. I decided to "regroup" and put everything back together again. Since I'm not the one who initially started working on it, I thought it best to start with it assembled. That way I could find out if something was missing, I could get a fresh look at the enging, take a break with racking my brain and start it possibly take it down the road. I'm hoping that will clear up the issue or clearer idea whats happening. I went to Autozone for fuel line to empty the tank from the engine bay. I tried siphoning but either I'm hitting an anti-siphoning device or the bends in the tube are to much. The salesmen used the "force" and Jedi mind tricked me into buying that crappy clear tube w/hand pump. I HATE THAT GUY, HATE! lol I also bought a fuel filter and ended up drain the tank before reinstalling filter. That was last night and now with fresh gas I hooked up a scanner. Didn't run it long enough to get to temp because it was kinda late and it was spewing smelly fumes out the tail pipe. I'm getting ready to pull it out of the side yard out on the street so fumes aren't up near the house. I have some clue of what the live data is about but not necessarily in this context of "not a clue" what is the issue. I hope to come back with some info to share. Cheryl what makes a computer completely shut off signal to only one coil? I'm excellent at Googling info but can't find anything with that symptom. I will tell you I have one suspicion. The guy who did the timing belt also replaced spark plugs. When I performed a compression test I notice how easy the removal of spark plug were. I found out that he didn't torque them to spec and he doesn't have experience enough to not use a torque wrench. My point? That means he also didn't torque the crank gear and I can't help but wonder if the keyway pin sheared. Timing marks would still look good but timing would be off. The reading on the vacuum gauge is 10 inches just like i have a timing issue. When I started it up last night I looked for any kind of wobble for the crank gear but nothing. Darn, this isn't an easy one. Thoughts? Thanks again for checking on me.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35719 by Otbrecords
I'll let these screen shots say what they will, I will share that there was a smell of "hot" coming from the truck or tail pipe. Please tell me what you see in the data.
Attachments:

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #35726 by John Curtis
these Tacoma’s are notorious for the injectors failing electrically. I’m not sure if the ecm will cause intentional shut-down on this vehicle but it is something that should not be overlooked.

Usually with intentional shutdown the misfire counters stop counting (I don’t know if that’s an always or not) but from what I have seen it appears to be the case. Though this would equally disable injector pulse on the correlating cylinders to prevent baking the CAT

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by John Curtis.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35728 by Otbrecords
Thanks for thinking out load John, I appreciate it and learn a great deal. The 3 weeks I've been messing with this truck has VASTLY improved my diagnostic skills and I'm eager to learn. The information you posted is it good to know. Having that insight will only serve me well now and in the future. As far as what the computer is doing and why I don't know but it has IGT 1 shut down on the original computer and the replacement I have. The injectors are firing verified with a pulsing test light, a stethoscope, and wet plugs on 1 & 4. With my limited experience I gathered that this is unusual mostly because of extensive web searches turn up nothing about this specific symptom concerning IGT1.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35990 by thatmechanicguy
Hello, Toyota MDT here. You have a hard miss on cylinder's 1 and 4. What is the throttle body code you mentioned, P0...? I will take a look at the wiring schematic and repair manual this week for you at work and see if I can help you. Have you made any progress? Was the camshaft sensor wire plugged in after the timing belt was replaced? Was the harness yanked or pulled on when the timing belt was replaced? You did not have this condition before the timing belt was replaced? How does the base timing look? Have you pulled off the the plastic timing belt cover and rotated the engine to top dead center by hand to see if the timing is correct?

More
4 years 2 months ago #36969 by Otbrecords
SOLVED! One of the teeth on the crankshaft pulley gear was broken off. The brother who did the timing belt replacement remembers dropping the tensioner and so thought it possible that he might have dropped the pulley gear.:angry:
I was a little heated but what can one do? It definitely reminds you to never trust the customer. Not an actual photo of my pulley gear. .
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.564 seconds