Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

[FIXED]03 Tacoma #1& #4 no spark

More
4 years 4 months ago #35569 by Otbrecords
Girlfriend's brother replaced timing belt on her truck afterwards P0301, P0304, and a throttle body code that he can't remember. He started throwing parts at it. New plugs, wires, coils, and a junk yard throttle body. That's what I know about prior to me working on it. I have 3 codes that show after every delete P0301, P0304, & P0033 with P2195 only once. I have no signal from ECU IGT1 to igniter. Borrowed an ignitor
& ECU but still no signal on IGT1. IGT2 & IGT3 pulsing at 3.9v Igniter has good ground, 12v, 5v. Continuity good between ignitor and coils also between ignitor and ECU. I've also made sure these wires are good under load. Injectors cleaned and firing but not replaced, 12v to all coils w/good grounds, 5v reference good on all sensors that I've checked. Compression good on all cylinders. Vacuum low, needle on gauge keeps slowly moving between 9-11 inhg. My question is this, what's happened to IGT1? Thank you in advance I truly appreciate any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35575 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic 03 Tacoma #1& #4 no spark
With that low of engine vacuum I’d say the timing belt is off a tooth or two. That vacuum is way to low.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Otbrecords

More
4 years 4 months ago #35576 by Otbrecords
Thanks for jumping in and helping me solve this mystery, this is really a strange case of chasing my tail. The timing was the first thing the brother checked and rechecked. When I took over the job as well and rechecked a couple times also. I've found top dead center more than once in disbelief hoping I missed something but each time all the markings line right up like they should. Please correct me if I'm wrong but if the timing was off would that create a zero signal on IGT1 from the ECU? That fact is what has me confused. I'm left wondering whether or not I've already corrected the problem and it's come down to a "relearn" situation for the computer. Maybe I need to drive it to give the ECU a chance to figure it out?? Thank you for thinking this through with me, please keep the ideas coming. They're much appreciated. HELP?

More
4 years 4 months ago #35577 by Cheryl
What engine is in it? I’m trying to find diagrams

More
4 years 4 months ago #35578 by Otbrecords
It's a 3.4-liter DOHC EFI V6. What exactly do you need? I have a 1 month subscription to Mitchell on this vehicle. Thanks again

More
4 years 4 months ago #35579 by Cheryl
Got a diagram of the ignition system??

More
4 years 4 months ago #35581 by Otbrecords
Let me know if you need anything else or if I'm missing anything. Once again thank you.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35582 by Otbrecords
I realize those images are blurry. Let me get to my laptop and I'll send them again

More
4 years 4 months ago #35583 by Cheryl
I see 6 injectors but only 3 coils. What page are the other coils on

More
4 years 4 months ago #35584 by Otbrecords
Here are some better quality images. Only 3 coils on cylinders #1, #3, & #5, Each coil has a secondary wire for the other three plugs. That's why i have P0301 and P0304 because cylinders #1 & #4 share the same coil.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35586 by Cheryl
If ya had a scope I’d clear the codes and scope the #1 coil and see if ya get a pulse if the computer is intentionally shutting it down. For some odd reason

More
4 years 4 months ago #35587 by Cheryl
Got a description on the ignition system of how the pcm would know the cylinder 1 is ready to fire. I’m assuming crank and cam sensor

More
4 years 4 months ago #35588 by Cheryl
The other thing that comes to mind is terminals are the pcm and the coil itself. Terminal fitment tightness

More
4 years 4 months ago #35589 by Otbrecords
This is what i've found so far. There's a lot of info, well worth the investment in Mitchell but I'll keep looking. I appreciate it once again. You've given me new Ideas and direction.
Attachments:

More
4 years 4 months ago #35590 by Otbrecords
The PCM harness portion that controls the IGT1 is a little suspect to me. When I first installed second PCM I had voltage on IGT1. (I'm fairly positive but this can make anyone second guess) Partly assuming that voltage was there and was shut down by PCM. Keeping it in the back of my mind on the look out for info if it's possible to correct/fix harness without replacing it. Could end up with more issues replacing, so trying to avoid that but prepared to do so.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35593 by Cheryl
Hate when other people try and fix stuff but they build problems in...

More
4 years 4 months ago #35594 by Cheryl
By chance you did check igt 1 for short to ground right? I know ya tested continuity from pcm to igniter then coil you igniter. Unhook pcm hook ohm meter negative lead to battery negative then probe igt circuits should be infinite resistance

More
4 years 4 months ago #35596 by Otbrecords
Huh, no I didn't. I'm unplugging the harness from the back of PCM and checking for continuity between IGT1 pin and BattNeg? I did power probe it and it came back as negative polarity but didn't do continuity.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35597 by Otbrecords
what are your thoughts about the possibility of whatever the issue was, that It might be fix but the PCM needs to "relearn" by drive it a short distance?

More
4 years 4 months ago #35598 by Cheryl
I never seen a relearn like that. But anything is possible. Try it if you want. You had pcm and igniter unplugged and power probe showed ground?? If so that’s a problem

Time to create page: 0.316 seconds