Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

FIXED:Stuck after a lightning strike!

More
4 years 2 months ago #36743 by akwabba
Well, I'm still at it...
ok, I've gone through ALL the modules I can find. What I couldn't get to/didn't have were the Amplifier-Radio Mod, Hands-Free Mod, and the Satellite receiver Mod. I don't think I have those. I looked where they were supposed to be and nothing.
I unplugged each module as I found them and no change to the CAN system that I can tell. Unable to read with a computer scanner and no PRNDL lights coming on either.
I'm getting stuck right now. Does anyone know a good way to test the TIPM or the PCM without a scope? Those are the last two that I can't really check. They are also the modules that I've already replaced...
Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #43823 by akwabba
So, I still can't get the vehicle to start, but have made some progress. The ECU and TIPM are ok - that's been verified. I have perfect resistance now (60 at the OBD2). What I just found out is that my CAN High and Low are both reading 2.4 volts. What I don't know is how I can check to find out where the problem is. I'm guessing that there is either a short in another module (I've replaced many of the modules already) or a short in the wire itself. Any thoughts on what I should be checking next? I feel I'm very close to figuring this out.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #43826 by Tutti57
That actually sounds like the high and low lines are shorted together to me. At least that's about what you would expect on a Nissan if they were.

Nissan Technician
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Tutti57.

More
3 years 5 months ago #44215 by akwabba
I do think that they are shorted together. I'm using a Launch Code Reader (the $300 dollar one) and It still does not detect the ECU or PCM, BUT it does find the SRS system. When I check the SRS it tells me which modules it is having a problem communicating with because I had them unplugged. When I plug those modules (i.e. overhead, radio, and console), the errors go away. I think those modules are working ok. So the problem that I'm trying to figure out is how I can find the short between the CAN Hi and Lo. Any advice? I can't find anything about how to do it online and I am lost right now. I'm thinking it is the wiring to the ECU/PCM (one unit), but I don't know what wires to probe or if I should be testing voltage or resistence, etc. Thoughts?

More
3 years 5 months ago #44401 by akwabba
IT RUNS!
So I was looking at wiring diagrams and getting help from people (Thanks Scott!). We noticed that the ECU and TIPM were fried and on the same CAN C BUS. All other modules that were ok were on a different CAN. I searched for the ABS module which was the 3rd and last module on that CAN. I unplugged it and the truck started right away. After almost 1.5 years, it's running just like it was, but without ABS. I have to get my hands on a new module. Thanks for all the help everyone and I've learned so much more than I ever thought I would have needed to know about repairing the electronics on a vehicle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 5 months ago #44447 by Noah
That's great news!
Way to stick it out to the end, and thank you for posting the fix!

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds