Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

p1698 2000 dodge dakota sport 4x4 with a 318 v8

More
4 years 4 months ago #34940 by jetter3606
the key is black
The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #34941 by Cheryl
Check powers and grounds at pcm and call it

More
4 years 4 months ago #34953 by VegasJAK
readings at the DLC should be 2.45 for pin#3 and 2.47 for pin#11. all others do not matter at this point... the bias voltage comes from the BCM. A reading of 2.5 not correct.

Your problem is communication between the PCM and TCM. The test of pins 3 and 11 are telling you their is a short between the vio/brn wire and the wht/blk wire between the PCM and TCM.

Set you DVOM to 20 in DC volts. That should give you 0.00 scale.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
4 years 4 months ago #34962 by jetter3606
got batteries for my other DVOM and read correct voltage out of the datalink terminal at 2.45 on 3, and 2.47 on 11. as I went to pull pcm from truck, I noticed a considerable amount of oil coming out of the right side bulk connector , im guessing the oil sending unit goes to this connector and has failed causing oil to get into the pcm

More
4 years 4 months ago #34993 by jetter3606
Oil sending unit was dry ,, Power steering pressure switch was the culprit . pulled the connector and it was soaked with fluid, I started the truck and the engine light went out. but came back on and the gear indicator lights stayed on. i guess this fluid migration isnt an uncommon problem for D. according to a D. forum .. i think the pcm is bad still I cleaned the connector good and It may need a wiring harness too .

More
4 years 4 months ago #34994 by Cheryl
I’m confused. So it’s sounds like the 5 volt reference was shorted.

More
4 years 4 months ago #34995 by Cheryl
So was it a no communication with the pcm at any point with a scanner??

More
4 years 3 months ago #35645 by jetter3606
I got a new PCM and still .P1698. There is no signal to trans relay when checking with test light and the relay pulled, cycling the key . im tearing apart wiring harness now and not finding much so far I have 2.46 and 2.49 on the twisted pair wires .out of tcm and pcm and at data connector under dash what color wire sends signal to the trans relay in the fuse box does anyone have a diagram that shows what wires to look for ? I pulled apart the fuse box and looked at underside it all seems pinned correctly any info and diagrams would help thanks

More
4 years 3 months ago #35669 by jreardon

File Attachment:

File Name: trans1_2019-12-09.pdf
File Size:79 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: trans2_2019-12-09.pdf
File Size:67 KB
Attachments:

More
4 years 3 months ago #35675 by Otbrecords
Cheryl, I kinda skimmed through the conversation posted so far and forgive me if I'm wrong or you've already addressed this. It sounds like a 5-volt reference short. We're sensors unplugged one by one monitoring for a correction in voltage? Also have you tried unplugging the battery for a while making sure voltage is drained out of system to reset/ deactivate limp mode. If it is some sort of limp mode maybe that would correct it. Just a thought.

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds