Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

04 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 2.0l Cranks but won't start.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31671 by jboy11
Cranks but won't start! has spark for coil 2/3 spark plug, but no spark for coil 1/4 spark plug. Both coil connectors has 12V coming in. Thought it was bad coil, so I switched the coils and got the same result. I have checked fuel pump for sending fuel, but no valve on fuel rail for pressure check - getting fuel. Check timing belt and alignment - good. Check fuel injector connection, all have voltage. Checked for voltage going to crank sensor - good. I think spark is the issue. Just a DIY guy for life!
The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #31673 by PDM
Need to also check the control from pcm to coil during cranking.

DIYer myself and I don't know enough about mitsubishi to offer any specifics.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by PDM.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #31674 by John Curtis
Do you have rpm signal during crank?
I would imagine so since you’re getting spark.

I would chase the no spark on 1/4. Where exactly are you testing for spark?

The fact that 1/4 are not sparking and it being a waste spark system I would check and make sure you don’t have an open plug wire that cause the coil to fail initially.

Check engine light come on during initial KOEO?

Does the check engine like flicker or dim? How about during crank?

Injector voltage is different than injector pulse... your injectors fire when the computer grounds the circuit... I would use a test light to confirm injector pulse.

You can still tie into your fuel system with a fuel pressure gauge without a Schrader valve it just takes more effort.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by John Curtis.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31677 by jboy11
I would chase the no spark on 1/4. Where exactly are you testing for spark? Coil to spark plug wire to if it will spark across.

The fact that 1/4 are not sparking and it being a waste spark system I would check and make sure you don’t have an open plug wire that cause the coil to fail initially.

Check engine light come on during initial KOEO? light comes on and then goes away with ignition on. Does not come on with cranking.

Does the check engine like flicker or dim? How about during crank? No check engine light except with initial.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31680 by John Curtis
As PDM suggested. Check ECM for control of the coil pack. Sounds like bad ECM.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #31715 by jboy11
My son had brought me a bluetooth scanner for my birthday last year. I finally connected it to my cheap phone. I finally download the OBd II Pro and did a scan with iginition on. Got code PO340 camshaft position sensor bank 1. So I tried replacing camshaft sensor. Did not help a bit. Cleared code it kept coming back. So I try to see if ECM was sending any signal to camshaft sensor. Dido { ;>( ]. Not sending to coil either. So I am going to get a ECM from salvage yard. Probably won't get to it till Saturday.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by jboy11. Reason: Progress

More
4 years 9 months ago #31721 by guafa
Hi jboy,

If you are not getting any signal in cmp line and you have a new sensor, it could be power or ground. Remember signal is send by sensor to pcm.

Do you have Paul's book? You should.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jreardon, jboy11, aboudi.naddaf

More
4 years 9 months ago #31722 by jreardon
Looks like pull down design. It's an open, short, or faulty pattern to set that p0340 code.
See expected voltages in image please.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31827 by jboy11
I did not get a ECM/PCM since the one the junkage had was out of a 2003 and the 2004 is different. So back to testing. Testing for voltage at camshaft sensor result in 12V going in but only 3V out (using a makeshift probe from coaxial wire, didn't want to break wire coating). Lower than expected! So I lower down ECM to check there. What is strange to me, is only getting 0.3 V at connector. Was fun finding the correct wire. (just a little history: I got this car when it had a little over 28000 miles, it now has a little over 339000. I have only been stranded once 10 miles from home (about 150000). That was in -21 degrees and timing belt lost some teeth. Replaced and it been fine since.

More
4 years 9 months ago #32096 by jboy11
I got an ECM with the same numbers, connected it - no problem. Checked it for codes ad it had none. Gave it a crank and rechecked for error codes and got the same one P0340. Except I had a little box before it that said "Current Fault".

Fault log report generated by Torque for Android =================================================

Vehicle VIN: Not present
Vehicle Manufacturer: Unknown
Vehicle Calibration ID: MN132868FA

Current Fault Log
P0340: Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

Pending Fault Log
ECU reports no pending faults

Historic Fault Log
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)

End of report.

So with this I guess the only way to proceed is to begin checking for where the power is being lost along the line in that circuit. I would really be bent out of shape if it was a faulty relay!

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds