Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

[FIXED] 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7L

More
4 years 8 months ago #31396 by robert.lesaca
This jeep was brought to me today. owner mentioned that when driving; he would turn on his AC and after a while it would turn off by itself while at the same time the airbag and OCS light (passenger airbag "off" position); AC will resume working as soon as Airbag/OCS light disappears. He also mentioned that a mechanic replaced the ignition module recently but the problem still persisted.
Initial scan showed:
1. B212D - ignition run only input circuit open
2. B1206 - Passenger airbag indicator circuit open
3. B1204 - Passenger airbag indicator circuit low

has anyone experienced something similar? thank you...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #31397 by Cheryl
Just the air conditioning turns off and airbag light come on? Or the vehicle turns off?

More
4 years 8 months ago #31400 by robert.lesaca
yes, AC turns off and airbag lights turn on

More
4 years 8 months ago #31405 by jreardon
"B212D - ignition run only input circuit open" The set condition for this is telling. So somewhere between the Run Relay and the Occupant Restraint Controller, there's a voltage drop to below 6 volts.

Further diagnosis required. I'm going to guess the run relay (in junction block) has bad contacts, fuse 10 has bad contacts, or wiring problem through the upper switch bank (what is that?) to the orc (occupant restraint controller).

Get this fault to stay (easier said than done right? ) and use your multi meter to find this voltage drop between the wires to zone in to the section of wire or component.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
4 years 8 months ago #31491 by robert.lesaca
Being a Sunday, I was looking at the wiring diagram I remember the owner mentioned AC is affected when airbag DTC comes on, having a bigger power requirement compared to the rest of the components (park/neutral switch, inside rear view mirror, electronic overhead module and that share the same power, upper /lower bank switch) sharing the same battery feed.

I will keep you posted. Thanks for your response...much appreciated.

More
4 years 8 months ago #31824 by robert.lesaca
hello...sorry for the late posting. owner finally brought is jeep to my place. after taking out center console exposing the ORC, I probed pin # 16 (fused ignition switch) and pin #24 (fused run-relay out put.

in the attach image, at KOEO, my red meter (for pin 16) and yellow meter (for pin 24) read battery voltage. at KOER, both meter read 14+ V and no airbag lights. i momentarily turned ignition off and put to run position, my red meter read 12V while my yellow meter read 0V and airbag lights on. KOEr, my red meter showed 14+ V while my yellow meter showed 0V and the airbag light lit.

so it seems pin 24/fused run-relay output is the problem is.

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #31825 by robert.lesaca
i forgot to attach the DTC...notice B212D is active after the fused run-relay output voltage dropped to 0V

ooops sorry picture inverted
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by robert.lesaca.

More
4 years 8 months ago #31828 by jreardon

robert.lesaca wrote: notice B212D is active after the fused run-relay output voltage dropped to 0V

Yup. I didn't realize until now but if you read the DTC description it says exactly what wire (is wire correct term, or more like circuit, i dunno) it is. For B212D it's F100, and for the others, B1206 and B1204, it's R106. Lol that's so nice, it right there in the image haha. It was so small I didn't even see it!

I circled them in blue

As for how this air bag thing is connected to the A/C, all i see is Fuse 10

More
4 years 8 months ago #31829 by jreardon

ooops sorry picture inverted

Totally fine, I just open image in a new tab and orientation is fixed. Dunno why images get messed up when hosted here. That's why I use imgur :D

More
4 years 8 months ago #31834 by robert.lesaca
Ive double check power and ground. unfortunatey there is a special tool to use to check resistance of:
1. R106 between ground and ORC adoptor #9 to see if it falls below 100 ohms. You have an idea how to check resistance without this adaptor?
2. another adaptor to measure resistance of R106 between adaptor and cavity 1 of upperbank connector.

im not comfy whrn it comes to airbag diagnosis. but i hv a feeling is the ORC that is defective here. what do you think?

More
4 years 8 months ago #31835 by robert.lesaca
fuse 10 is ok...

More
4 years 8 months ago #31836 by robert.lesaca
here is an image of R106 voltage when no airbag lights on. but as soon the light come on, voltage drops to almost 0V
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #31840 by jreardon
Concerning F100, I would do voltage drop test KOEO and KOER. To rule out issue with ORC, jump fused jumper wire to power on that wire at pin 24 and see if the DTC goes away.

Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by jreardon.

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #31841 by jreardon

at KOEO, my red meter (for pin 16) and yellow meter (for pin 24) read battery voltage.

That voltage reading at pin24 alone rules out a blatant short to ground in the wire. Now to see if ORC is faulty or no, jump fused power to pin 24 at ORC and see if dtc clears up.
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by jreardon.

More
4 years 8 months ago #31872 by robert.lesaca
I explained today with the owner the results of my test. We were discussing the possibility of the ORC being faulty. He called after market shops who did not carry the controller; he called the dealer and was told that this is no longer in production and if ever it would cost $800 plus. I mentioned since the fault is intermittent and surprisingly if the airbag light does come on, AC would still work. He decided to just learn to live with it as long as no drivability problem. So all was left at that and drove the vehicle home.

I was not able to do your suggested jump but it did occur to me to do just that. But my gut feel is a faulty ORC after all electrical integrity was done - no open, no short to ground, no broken fuse or relay...all probable causes was eliminated except for the ORC. But hey, the owner decided to just live with it.

Thank you for your inputs as it greatly helped.

More
4 years 7 months ago #32590 by robert.lesaca
UPDATE...owner finally decided to buy a new ORC (which by the way is no longer in production), installed it and problem fixed . It was the ORC that was at fault !!!

THANK you to all who responded and offered help, This vehcile is FIXED
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tyler

More
4 years 7 months ago #32600 by Tyler
Thanks for the update, Robert! Definitely a strange one.

More
4 years 7 months ago #32642 by robert.lesaca
Totally agree with you...but I guess it is what it is !!!

Thanks Tyler.

More
3 years 8 months ago #41466 by Gasoline2Diesel Tech9
I just joined this forum today just to thank you for making this post. It cut down my diagnostic time in 1/2!!

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo with a 3.7L v6 168,000miles with the Same exact issue. The customer came in a few weeks ago, another tech evacuated and recharged the a/c system and sent the customer down the road. They got 1/2 mile down the road and the system quit. Luckily I know the customer's boss, so they brought it back with strict rules that I am the only tech to touch the vehicle. Nothing pisses a person off like charging them and not fixing the issue then on top of that saying you don't know take it to the dealership.

I was going through wiring diagrams to see where the AC and SRS (Airbag ) system shared power AND/OR ground. Already checked fuses and relays. Then something said "even though this is not a common code let's google it " my results brought me to this forum. I tested the same 24 pin wire with my power probe 4. As soon as that wire lost power 14v with KOER the blower motor shut off then shortly after the airbag light came on. I still had power at the other wire. So it seems to me the module was shorting out internally once it got too hot. Only If you turned the vehicle off and let it sit for 15mins it work again for 5 or so mins then cut off again. Clearing codes did nothing.

What made this challenging is the code lead you to believe it was an issue with the ignition switch.

The module is $450 and there is $100-$120 programming fee. The customer is happy to finally have answers, our shop did not charge for the 2nd trip which was more expensive (truck was smoking due to a valve cover leak, also truck was run a little hot due to the thermostat, and had a swollen radiator hose, as well as a few other issues they wanted looked at) also their Boss knows a guy at a dealership to save the customer money on the module and reprogramming, lastly the customer asked me to leave the center console out they will put it back together once the new module is installed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tyler

More
3 years 1 month ago #46840 by Mattypow585
I am having the same issue with my 2005 4.7 jeep grand cherokee. After reviewing this thread i replaced my ORC and had it reflashed at the dealership. The next day the same issue happened, ac turned off and the airbag light turned on. Im guessing the ORC wasnt the issue. What steps can i take to find out which wire, fuse, or relay is bad? Im more mechanical than electrical but i can figure it out with the right steps. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.260 seconds