Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

[FIXED] 2001 ACURA CL 3.2 CRANKS/ NO START

More
4 years 9 months ago #31624 by tim.smith1
Last thing I find funny is I did get a code p1279 for the vtec system I know that controls timing could that cause a not start?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 9 months ago #31635 by Noah
This thing is bananas, lol! I've never seen a j motor put up such a fight! Does this guy cheat on his wife? Sugar in the gas tank?
Windshield washer tank connected to intake vacuum?
I know you checked timing, just want to verify that you eyeballed the mark on the crank too. I'm sure you did, but this thing should start....

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: tim.smith1

More
4 years 9 months ago #31637 by tim.smith1
in the morning i will post picks of timing just so you guys see what i see lol thanks again guys

More
4 years 9 months ago #31638 by guafa
Today I unplugged the ECT just sis everyone knows it dropped to -40 on data stream then I found some resistors and managed to get temp to read 192 on the data stream took the plugs out dried them off and reinstalled them tried to start it and no luck.

It makes sense the engine did not start. The point here is after you tried to start engine, were the plugs wet again? i mean, wet like with no resistors?
did you noticed different injector pulse width with and without resistors?

A few things I thought of today is as soon as I unplugged the ECT a code for it came up the one thing I have never seen is a code for the coils and I don't think I have seen for injectors I know I have had the key on with the coils unplugged and also I think with injectors unplugged I also don't recall seeing any codes for the map or the tps and I have cranked the engine over with those unplugged. Is this car that slow on codes with a sensor or component unplugged or should that bother me and lean me more towards ecm?

We don´t know yet if pcm is bad. I think at least is sending injection and ignition pulse, which should start the engine.

The fact that you have spark, air (confirmed by MAP drop), compression (180 psi) and fuel makes me think you have a fuel control issue. Again, were the plugs wet again?

• Noah
More
4 years 9 months ago #31639 by Noah
Maybe I'm looking to much into it, but the compression waveform does look staggered. It kind of "marches down". The highest event appears noticably higher than the last
event before the pattern repeats again. :huh:

I don't think It would alert me given different circumstances, just an observation.

I've got access to a TL of the same generation if you need data or waveforms to compare

More
4 years 9 months ago #31640 by guafa
What if spark plugs are wet?

my next move would be get a potenciometer and precissely change ECT voltage. I know is not the root cause of what you are facing, but this drives me to a fuel control (pcm sensor) issue.

In fact, you mentioned you started this engine with brake cleaner, which makes me think there is not a mechanical issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, tim.smith1

More
4 years 9 months ago #31642 by tim.smith1
@guafa sorry i missed that you wanted me to check those also i will redo that test in the morning also and i will post those results

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #31644 by tim.smith1
@Noah i took all the plugs out and dried the cylinders out with air hose then i rechecked compression on all the cylinders every cylinder was at 205 punds of compression except number four cylinder it had 195 i did not mention this here because it did not seem that would change my path any. I am guessing the first time the cylinders were fuel soaked.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by tim.smith1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
4 years 9 months ago #31646 by Tyler

tim.smith1 wrote: Last thing I find funny is I did get a code p1279 for the vtec system I know that controls timing could that cause a not start?

Not that I'm aware of. Maybe try disconnecting the VTEC solenoids, just for giggles.

I was considering an intake restriction, but that doesn't explain how you can get it going with brake cleaner, OR the 180 PSI compression. Or the MAP readings. Opening the throttle doesn't make any difference?

• Noah
More
4 years 9 months ago #31647 by Noah

guafa wrote:
In fact, you mentioned you started this engine with brake cleaner, which makes me think there is not a mechanical issue.

Exactly. It just about has to be fuel. Either contamination/quality or an input issue resulting in so much it drowns the plugs.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31648 by tim.smith1
@Noah reasons i am not looking back into fuel and just an fyi i have a r/c bottle with a fuel sample in it from this car at my shop is when we changed the fuel pump like idiots lol we noticed there was very little gas in the car so of course when the car would not start we put 5 gallons of gas that i ran up to circle k a big chain gas station and put it in the car. then someone questioned the gas so for that reason i did take a sample and i look at it everyday it has no separation i sure wish it would but it is not cooperating with me lol

• Noah
More
4 years 9 months ago #31650 by Noah
Is this a type S, with a normally open electronic throttle body mounted in front of the mechanical throttle body?
Maybe not relevant but I am curious.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31652 by tim.smith1

Noah wrote: Is this a type S, with a normally open electronic throttle body mounted in front of the mechanical throttle body?
Maybe not relevant but I am curious.

yes s type sorry maybe i should have said that before now

More
4 years 9 months ago #31653 by guafa
Guys, do we know anything about injectors?

How about a balance test? but all injectors at the same time?

cheers.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31659 by jreardon
Take a fuel sample from the fuel rail and see if it will burn.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31661 by ScannerDanner
Replying at page 3 to when the injectors should fire.
I've seen them fire during the exhaust stroke on many, many cars. In my opinion, it gives the fuel more time to vaporize. Intake valve is closed during that time, so the fuel sits there for a few extra milliseconds.
Injectors do not have to fire on the intake stroke and certainly shouldn't be firing on the compression stroke on a non gdi system.
I haven't finished reading the posts yet...

Don't be a parts changer!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jreardon, tim.smith1

More
4 years 9 months ago #31662 by tim.smith1
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jreardon

More
4 years 9 months ago #31664 by tim.smith1
Just so you guys see what the plugs I took out look like
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jreardon, aboudi.naddaf

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #31665 by jreardon
@ScannerDanner Are these ignition control signals to base of transistor supposed to look like that? I thought they'd be more squarish.

@tim.smith1 On the bottom pic where it's more square, you had the connector off cop correct?

It does look a little funny but I wouldn't be concerned with that as long as the coils are firing and they clearly are. The second picture, is that the same signal with the coil unplugged? That looks more like what we would expect but I definitely have seen the base circuit trigger signal be distorted by the current flow of the coil. So again, I don't think this is your problem. I think someone commented on inputs and timing and I would like to see this too. Maybe a relative compression test synced with the base circuit trigger signal on one of the coils to start with.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by ScannerDanner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

More
4 years 9 months ago #31666 by tim.smith1
Okay so cleaned off plugs again and dried out cylinders as you see in data pid where the blue trace is car started on its own for a second you will see that rpm is at 1280
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

Time to create page: 0.288 seconds