Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

[FIXED] 2001 ACURA CL 3.2 CRANKS/ NO START

More
4 years 9 months ago #31558 by tim.smith1
So ready to give up on this car but I have never been a quitter lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31559 by jreardon
When you took that picture, it was coil and injector on the same cylinder?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tim.smith1

More
4 years 9 months ago #31560 by jreardon
I'm good with some pictures I will try to illustrate :)

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #31561 by jreardon
Hope this makes sense :) This doesn't come easy for me either lol

Think about it, if you're spraying fuel during compression stroke, the cylinder is not going to have any gas to burn when the spark goes off !
You have to spray it when the intake valve is open during intake stroke. Then intake closes, cylinder compresses air and gas, then boom

The only time I can think of to spray gas during compression stroke is on gas direct engines where the injector tip is inside the cylinder head, spraying against cylinder compression with it's own pressure to match !

Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by jreardon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, tim.smith1

More
4 years 9 months ago #31564 by jreardon
As i think this through to its logical conclusion as best as my feeble mind can endure, the gas that's sitting behind the intake valve doesn't just disappear. The intake valve will open inevitably and the gas will get into the cylinder. This would NOT cause a no start, or would it....

My theory is the gas would not be as atomized as it could have been, had the fuel been injected through the intake valve as quickly as the injectors fired. Fuel just sitting there in a puddle, falling into the cylinder, would perhaps hinder proper ignition because it does not mix with the incoming air into the cylinder.

Perhaps this is why you have fuel soaked injectors maybe, i'm not sure.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31566 by Tyler
I see where you're going with your thoughts about the injector timing? But I think you'll find that most port fuel injected vehicles DON'T fire the injector during the intake stroke. :silly: It's almost always during the power or exhaust stroke.

Why? I've never gotten an answer that truly made sense to me. :( Here's an example from my own car. Triggered off #1 coil, injector fires during the exhaust stroke.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, jreardon, tim.smith1

More
4 years 9 months ago #31571 by tim.smith1
What trace is on what off that scope Tyler?

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #31578 by tim.smith1
so where you guys think i should go from here lol. if anyone wants to call me my number is 850-597-4568
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by tim.smith1.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31582 by guafa
Hi everyone,

I have read all this thread and had came to my mind two ideas. I always try to return to the basics (fuel flow / air flow / spark flow)

Do we have enough fuel flow? Yes, we do. Actually seems more than normal
Do we have enough air flow? we don't know. Could this be the cause of soaked spark plugs?
Do we have enough spark? Yes, we do

Idea # 1 Try to simulate more temperature than real. I usually take 5kohm potenciometer and reduce ECT voltage. That way pcm injects less fuel than real. IF injector pulse width changes, i would rule out pcm and would look for a bad sensor or mechanical issue.

Idea #2 Try to read MAF or MAP

More
4 years 9 months ago #31583 by robert.lesaca
How about timing?

More
4 years 9 months ago #31584 by tim.smith1
i don't have a potenciometer i do have 3 resistors i could maybe try not sure the ohms but i will check in the morning. i have data pids of the map sensor and the baro reading they match what other method could i use to read them?

More
4 years 9 months ago #31585 by tim.smith1
timing has been checked with scope patterns and the covers are off if anyone would like me to take pics of the marks i could also do that in the a.m. also thanks very much guys with trying to help with this car it has been very difficult to figure this one out i am thinking E.C.M. but we know that is hard to truly prove lol

More
4 years 9 months ago #31586 by guafa
i don't have a potenciometer i do have 3 resistors i could maybe try not sure the ohms but i will check in the morning.

Use the resistor/s in paralell with ECT sensor checking that temperature increases 40 degrees. that way you can see pulse width change. I don´t think without a potenciometer, you can start engine (because you need little changes in resistance/voltage to precissely change pulse width)

i have data pids of the map sensor and the baro reading they match what other method could i use to read them?

While cranking, you should see a significant vacuum (diference between baro and map).

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #31590 by tim.smith1
This is data stream graphing map and baro while not cracking then cracking then not then cracking again
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by tim.smith1.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31592 by Tyler

tim.smith1 wrote: What trace is on what off that scope Tyler?

Sorry about that. :blush: Blue is relative compression, yellow is IGT for coil #1, green is injector #1.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31622 by tim.smith1
Today I unplugged the ECT just sis everyone knows it dropped to -40 on data stream then I found some resistors and managed to get temp to read 192 on the data stream took the plugs out dried them off and reinstalled them tried to start it and no luck.

More
4 years 9 months ago #31623 by tim.smith1
A few things I thought of today is as soon as I unplugged the ECT a code for it came up the one thing I have never seen is a code for the coils and I don't think I have seen for injectors I know I have had the key on with the coils unplugged and also I think with injectors unplugged I also don't recall seeing any codes for the map or the tps and I have cranked the engine over with those unplugged. Is this car that slow on codes with a sensor or component unplugged or should that bother me and lean me more towards ecm?

More
4 years 9 months ago #31624 by tim.smith1
Last thing I find funny is I did get a code p1279 for the vtec system I know that controls timing could that cause a not start?

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 9 months ago #31635 by Noah
This thing is bananas, lol! I've never seen a j motor put up such a fight! Does this guy cheat on his wife? Sugar in the gas tank?
Windshield washer tank connected to intake vacuum?
I know you checked timing, just want to verify that you eyeballed the mark on the crank too. I'm sure you did, but this thing should start....

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 9 months ago #31637 by tim.smith1
in the morning i will post picks of timing just so you guys see what i see lol thanks again guys

Time to create page: 0.451 seconds