× Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

DodgeDad needs help with trying to get a truck to run

• Noah
  • Massachusetts, USA
More
05 Aug 2019 21:06 - 05 Aug 2019 21:28 #32522 by Noah
So, I just want to clarify a couple of points before going off into the weeds. Forgive me if it seems redundant, but I don't want to make any assumptions moving forward.

Have you corrected the no spark/intermittent spark condition, or is that still a symptom?

I made the assumption that you regained spark based on the statement you made about being able to start the engine by feeding it fuel, and you never confirmed or corrected my assumption.

I also assumed you had no engine codes only because you never mentioned any. Do you have a check engine light when it does fire up? Does it illuminate with the key on engine off? Can you scan the truck for codes?
I think if you cycle the key 5 or 8 times it will display trouble codes in the odometer screen. Any codes could be greatly helpful!

If I was there helping you I would do a long cranking spark test.
This will greatly effect the direction of the diagnosis.
If you have spark the entire time, this will verify the sensor inputs and the secondary ignition system.
Like Tyler mentioned, the ignition coils are a high failure component on these.

If you are losing spark and I was there helping you, my next step would be to plug a tail light bulb into the coil connector and give the engine an extended crank.

If the light flashes the entire time the engine is cranking but you still are losing spark, then the coil is need of replacement.

If the light does not flash the entire time the engine is cranking, then we need to revisit the control test.

Your reply to Tyler about testing coil control:
"When testing the green/orange wire, the light stays on only when the fuel pump is on. There is no light on cranking.
I tested the black wire and there was no light at all."

Is very similar to the results of the test you did on the injectors.

I would expect power at the coil only while the fuel pump is energized because of the Chrysler ASD relay setup.

This is one of many videos that explains how the ASD relay works and it's function:

You observed no light during cranking.
Even if you were on the coil control wire instead of the power wire by mistake, I would expect the test light to flicker or light dimly

While cranking, the coil and injectors should have steady power and pulsing ground.
I am interpreting your test results as though you might be losing the power at the ignition coil and the injectors during cranking.

But we can investigate that further if need be based on where we ever up from here.

Hope this helps you out

"Learn, apply, repeat."
Last edit: 05 Aug 2019 21:28 by Noah.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Massachusetts, USA
More
05 Aug 2019 21:15 - 05 Aug 2019 21:16 #32525 by Noah
...And I merged your threads into one :)
It's better for anyone trying to help (or anyone researching in the future) if all the suggestions, tests and results are in the same thread.

I know that it's easy for a question to get swept up onto the next page, and out of sight out of mind from there.

But if you make another reply you'll get bumped back to the top of page one.

Even if you just post "bump".

"Learn, apply, repeat."
Last edit: 05 Aug 2019 21:16 by Noah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDM

• DodgeDad
  • Topic Author
More
07 Aug 2019 18:51 #32589 by DodgeDad
Thanks for getting back to me

I'll try doing all of my tests again, I figured since pouring gas down it kept it running that my coil was ok.

DodgeDad

• Noah
  • Massachusetts, USA
More
08 Aug 2019 16:47 #32624 by Noah
You don't need to start at square one, just a good proper spark test, and get back to us with any codes.
If the spark test fails replace the coil with a bulb to determine if it's the coil thats faulty or something more sinister.

"Learn, apply, repeat."

• DodgeDad
  • Topic Author
More
16 Aug 2019 12:06 #32859 by DodgeDad
DodgeDad test light is on positive

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.564 seconds