Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2011 GMC Terrain 2.4L SLE : Overheating and no hot air blowing from heater core

More
4 years 10 months ago #30738 by Tyler
That's definitely one to keep in mind for the future. :ohmy: Thanks for the follow up.

I'd be very interested to see how the chain was sitting on the water pump sprocket when they took the timing cover off. The sprocket had to have been at least trying to spin with the chain, otherwise Robert wouldn't have been able to drive it as much as he did.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #30816 by robert.lesaca
Yes, the engine would struggle when overheated...i guess PCM wanting to protect engine by shutting down which is what owner experience.

THANKS all...

More
4 years 9 months ago #30837 by chasencai
I find a car repair blog on your problem,and i share it here,hope it can help forum friend.
www.car-auto-repair.com

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #30875 by Minor
I going to suggest you check the sensor that was replaced if it was an aftermarket sensor, it's resistance may be set too high because of patent rights for them to make it. I've been down this road once a long time ago on a Cadillac the fan sensor was not turning on the fan soon enough causing it to run hot. It had been replaced with a NAPA brand. I had to go to the Dealer to get the right one. Problem was solved. I'd also suggest wiping the memory in the ECM and the body control module. Let the engine block relearn again after replacing the sensor, I found many cars will run still on the old data from the last 40 starts making you think the problem is still there. Also if the body control module has the type the has to have the Doors in the heater box center to react right, that could be part of your problem. If it got corrupted or has lost power for some reason. Run the rest to center the doors in the control head. These are things no one thinks of and I found to cause problems and that has driven me nuts figuring out...
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Minor.

More
4 years 9 months ago #30887 by TheTechWhisperer
I've seen at least 10 of these ecotecs with broken water pump chains just this year. You just take the 3 bolts off the access cover and try to move the gear with your finger (engine off obviously). If the gear moves, the chain is broken. The local parts stores stock the whole kits with guides, because it is so common.

I didn't read through the comments, so if someone already suggested this, then just ignore me

"You will always find the greatest fulfillment in life when you are operating in the gifts God gave you"- Dad

National Director of Technical Training & Mechanical Operations - Express Oil Change & Tire Engineers
ASE Master L1 Tech
BMW Master Tech
Ford FACT Advanced Electronics Instructor

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds