Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2000 Cherokee Crank but no Start

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28360 by guafa
Hi JeepMe,

There are two things i need to confirm with you. You are our eyes in that engine:

1. It's not clear if cat is plugged or unplugged

2. Can you expand the concept "engine doesn't start"?

Can you post video/sound of engine cranking?
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago - 5 years 3 weeks ago #28361 by guafa
I can tell you i have started engines with 90 psi, rough idle, lack of power and other issues, but it does start.

Andy: This engine should start at least for a few seconds with that pressure. Don't you think?
Last edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by guafa.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28364 by guafa
70 rpm is too low. With your good logic (i already know that because of you have posted), you should hear an abnormal crank (think about 1 rev per second) you would for sure have noticed.

Scanner is lying you. You can also check good rpm you have in your scope.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28365 by guafa
About A/F ratio. You have the advantage of a clone car. Check for pulse width at start .

About MAP, check for revs vs voltage with scope.

Just ideas. I still don't have scanner, then i have to look for methods with my screwdrivers and scope.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #28368 by juergen.scholl
Jeepme,

somehow I feel you spend a considerable amount of energy in trying to explain to us and yourself why certain diagnostic steps you're asked to carry out actually do not make much sense to you based on your prior diagnostics. This "been there, done that " approach is a hindrance with regards to having a clear view and open mind in order to find the real issue with your car.

Some of your assumptions are simply wrong, for example an early closing intake valve -on your cam design this equates to early opening - probably results in HIGHER peak pressure because of the longer compression stroke/time. This peak pressure would still to be seen at TDCC. An earlier peak compression - before TDCC as you "assume" _ would show up with a valve leak, not with a cam that's one tooth off.
On late valve,timing: How laaaate has valve timing to be so that compression will take place on the exhaust stroke??
How will timing being off( one or two or three teeth) show up on a RELATIVE compression taken thru voltage drop?? You'd need an amperage reading of the starter current and a lot of experience with this kind of test to be able to compare it to other, normal starter current draws before you venture to speculate on "timing being off".

What signal would a good ,working MAP sensor send to the pcm if the exhaust was restricted.....Even a good MAP sensor would not make start the engine with a severe restriction in the exhaust. This is one point where your testing not is conclusive. So the sensor reacts to shop vacuum, that's fine; but does the engine produce a vacuum? You could even pull a spark plug and try to start the engine on 5 cylinders if the exhaust was restricted (short out the coil tower if you try this).

Did you do an injector balance test ? This would actually confirm they're opening or not. Once again, just knowing there is a pulse to them does not proof they are injecting......, how old is the fuel by the way?

I'd like to see a data list, A faulty tps could even cause clear flood mode.

Many, many possibilities . Don't be reluctant to revisit what you did so far because the root cause of the problem isn't found yet.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #28385 by JeepMe

juergen.scholl wrote: Jeepme,

somehow I feel you spend a considerable amount of energy in trying to explain to us and yourself why certain diagnostic steps you're asked to carry out actually do not make much sense to you based on your prior diagnostics. This "been there, done that " approach is a hindrance with regards to having a clear view and open mind in order to find the real issue with your car.

Some of your assumptions are simply wrong, for example an early closing intake valve -on your cam design this equates to early opening - probably results in HIGHER peak pressure because of the longer compression stroke/time. This peak pressure would still to be seen at TDCC. An earlier peak compression - before TDCC as you "assume" _ would show up with a valve leak, not with a cam that's one tooth off.
On late valve,timing: How laaaate has valve timing to be so that compression will take place on the exhaust stroke??
How will timing being off( one or two or three teeth) show up on a RELATIVE compression taken thru voltage drop?? You'd need an amperage reading of the starter current and a lot of experience with this kind of test to be able to compare it to other, normal starter current draws before you venture to speculate on "timing being off".

What signal would a good ,working MAP sensor send to the pcm if the exhaust was restricted.....Even a good MAP sensor would not make start the engine with a severe restriction in the exhaust. This is one point where your testing not is conclusive. So the sensor reacts to shop vacuum, that's fine; but does the engine produce a vacuum? You could even pull a spark plug and try to start the engine on 5 cylinders if the exhaust was restricted (short out the coil tower if you try this).

Did you do an injector balance test ? This would actually confirm they're opening or not. Once again, just knowing there is a pulse to them does not proof they are injecting......, how old is the fuel by the way?

I'd like to see a data list, A faulty tps could even cause clear flood mode.

Many, many possibilities . Don't be reluctant to revisit what you did so far because the root cause of the problem isn't found yet.

I'm not reluctant to testing anything. I just need some direction on what to test and sometimes how to perform those tests. Someone asked for testing for a good spark so I hooked up a spark tester and checked it was sparking at the 20kV gap. I'm willing to perform testing anyone things will help or provide data. I just need to know what to perform.

So for things like check a clogged exhaust what does that mean? I've looked down the exhaust pipe and see nothing. I had it cranked with my hand over the pipe and it provided plenty of force to push my hand off the pipe. To me the exhaust is free and clear. But if there's something I'm missing in checking that means I shouldn't make that conclusions I'm asking for what I need to do in order to fix that bad assumption.

You are 100% correct that just because I see a signal at the PCM doesn't mean I know anything about what's happening at the engine. That's exactly where I'm currently at in my troubleshooting is checking those. For spark I've tested the signal at the rail connector (to eliminate any wire issues between PCM and coil rail), good signal (at least consistent with PCM). I've swapped the coil rail with a known good coil rail and use the spark checker to make sure each output was jumping the 20kV gap. I've plugged in each plug to see if they spark and they do. In my mind I've done everything I can and can conclude spark is good (if that's a bad assumption, please correct me).

For fuel I've seen the signal shows consistent at the injectors and PCM. I've used a mechanics stethoscope to make sure the relay on each injector is opening/closing. As of tonight I swapped the injectors with ones that have run an engine (I don't know if they're 100% good, I do know they are good enough to run an engine without a missfire). I haven't run an injector balance test but I have ordered the injector tester, hopefully get to it this weekend. My thoughts are that starter fluid would reveal if it's a fuel issue and it doesn't do much. But I have ordered the injector tester to properly test everything. At this point the fuel is probably 3 weeks old. All the old fuel was removed from the system prior to trying to start the engine. Old fuel was removed by jumping the fuel pump relay with the fuel line disconnected from the injector rail and pumping gas out until the tank was empty. Then about 6 gallons of new gas was added and the pump was run to clear anything out of the line. There was a distinct change from a greenish color of the old gas to the standard yellowish tint of new gas. I then let the pump run for another minute to make sure it was new gas.

I'm not trying to have a "been there, done that" mentality. I see how it comes off as that but that's not my intent. When I say something it's not to say I'm not going to try something. It's to give my logic that I'm thinking and for someone else to either agree and confirm my thoughts or disagree, tell me where I've gone wrong in my thoughts, and help me figure out how to correct.

You ask to see a data list, what exactly do you mean and want to see? I can work on that but don't understand what you're asking to see. As far as flood clearing mode, I don't think this car has that (unless there's another way to activate it besides holding the gas to the floor?). I used my other Jeep, held the gas pedal to the floor, and turned the key. It started right up and the RPMs started to climb.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #28386 by JeepMe

guafa wrote: Hi JeepMe,

There are two things i need to confirm with you. You are our eyes in that engine:

1. It's not clear if cat is plugged or unplugged

2. Can you expand the concept "engine doesn't start"?

Can you post video/sound of engine cranking?

1. I put my hand over the exhaust while cranking and air comes out with enough force to push my hand off the exhaust pipe. I've looked in the pipe on each end and don't see anything clogging the exhaust.

2. Due to the file size of the short video I uploaded to Google drive. Below is a link to two videos. The first is cranking when I started this evening. The second link is later in the evening after I removed the valve cover because I wanted to physically see the valves opening and closing.

drive.google.com/file/d/10aRo6n1prBV0t8W...Odx/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/file/d/1gJEpFJ7QBuJ4q3D...ul1/view?usp=sharing

More
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #28387 by JeepMe

guafa wrote: About A/F ratio. You have the advantage of a clone car. Check for pulse width at start .

About MAP, check for revs vs voltage with scope.

Just ideas. I still don't have scanner, then i have to look for methods with my screwdrivers and scope.

I'll try to check pulse width tomorrow. One thing that might make a difference is the project car is a 2000 Cherokee that started life as a 4.0L engine that's been bored/stroked to a 4.6L. The daily driver is a 2003 Grand Cherokee with a 4.0L engine.

My plan going forward is to first get a reading on the MAP when cranking. Then I'm going to pull the timing cover and check the timing chain alignment marks. I've already talked to CompCams and they said don't advance cam timing because it ground 4* advanced from them. Once the injector tester arrives I'll check the injector balance and also compare injector pulse signal on the project to the daily driver. If anyone has another way to further check for a clogged exhaust, let me know and I'll check that. Anything else I should do?
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by JeepMe.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #28431 by guafa
Hi JeepMe

I watched videos and scanner is not lying you. I estimate 90 rpm. That could be a reason of 105 - 120 psi in compression test. Anyway i believe is enough pressure to start engine.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #28432 by guafa
So, until now:

Spark:
*Enough power (OK)
*Synchronized with TDC (OK)
*Synchronized with correct cylinder (OK)

Fuel:
*Injectors swapped (OK)
*Fuel pressure (?)
*MAP reading (?)
*ECT & IAT reading (?)
*Injection schedule (?)

Air:
*No restriction on exhaust (OK)
*No restriction on intake
*No vacuum leaks (?)
*No throttle body blade leaks (?)
*No clogged IAC (?)
*No decalibrated IAC (?)
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by guafa.

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #33930 by hamid
Very interesting subject, waiting for your update, I have the same problem, not solved yet.
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by hamid.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34018 by ptebo1
just by listening to the way that thing cranks.. I would say there is a mechanical issue for sure. does the engine spin easily by hand? I had a seized a/c compressor cause a similar issue once. Could you take a current measurement on the starter so we can see how many amps it takes to turn this thing over? The starter should be spinning that thing way faster IMO. I would be looking into why that starter isnt spinning the engine over quickly... Gotta be something lugging the engine down. I seen the volt gage in the cluster go way down implying a huge amperage draw...

More
4 years 6 months ago #34043 by BetterCallBrody
I'm in too. 9 Jeep 4.0's in the family. I've seen these run with 90psi of compression. I don't hear any of the cylinders even trying to fire? Wrong Cam? Maybe?

More
4 years 6 months ago #34044 by BetterCallBrody
Hello all, new member here BTW! And I agree, we need to know fuel pressure, low pressure could still result in wet plugs but no fire, as could contaminated fuel. Have seen too high an ethanol content cause similar issues.

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds