Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1997 Pontiac GranAm SE 3.1 Stalling and backfiring under load & WOT

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #28350 by ScannerDanner
Those spikes in your 7x ckp signal are from the ignition coil firing events and can be normal interference events as the 7x ckp sensor signal is going directly to the module. BUT I DO NOT like the one event that is actually distorting the double pulse on the 7x crank signal, this could be why you are dropping coil firings. It seems to be messing up the count. Didn't you say you had to fix the 7x harness? Did you twist the wires together (twisted pair). Also, did you route it correctly? Away from plug wires and stuff?

Don't be a parts changer!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #28352 by rpd1125
Yep repaired and twisted. Connections were soldered too. And completely routed away from ignition wires. They are not even close to the ignition wires at al

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #28404 by rpd1125
Here are some of the captures of the secondary ignition waveforms in the firing order to this engine respectively

Looks like it has an open wire on two cylinders. Let me know what you guys think?

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #28421 by rpd1125
This one is Fixed boys. It also had Open Plug wire on cylinder 5. This being a waste spark system making it misfire on its companion cylinder under heavy load.

Thanks Paul for your input

More
5 years 1 week ago #28465 by ScannerDanner

rpd1125 wrote:

So you are saying this image was being caused by an open plug wire? I'm just trying to clarify for everyone else.

More
5 years 1 week ago #28466 by rpd1125
Hey Paul good morning. It did have a Bad Coil arching to Ground but even after we replaced that IGNITION COIL it still had a bad miss where it would almost stall under heavy heavy load.

So got the Mini USCOPE and got some Secondary Ignition Waveforms and found the open wire on cylinder 2 causing misfire on cylinder 5 also being on the same coil.

My Supervisor thought i was nuts and disagreed with me and so did everyone in the shop. So i told him I would be willing to pay for the wire set if I was wrong so he got it and boom Amigo, this car is done and full power restored. You can see the secondary waveforms i posted on 03 Apr 2019 12:08. They are posted in firing order. Take a look at cylinder 2 and 5. Those were taken at about 1500 rpms.

Thanks for your input Paul this one is completely done and customer was blown away. This car has been sidelined for months because no one could figure it out. Everyone else's diagnosis was that it needed another PCM or Ignition switch. Hope this helps someone

More
5 years 1 week ago #28470 by guafa
Hi rpd1125.

Just for my learning process.

If spark were arching to ground, don't you think amp ramp should still be there?

Maybe coil was opening with heat and current didn't have a path to go?

Again, i would love to have a deep background at interpretation of this waveforms

More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #28500 by ScannerDanner
Awesome that you fixed this one! But I just want to clarify for those following about those coil primary current ramps that were missing.
The only way that on open plug wire was causing that was from that open plug wire actually distorting the 7x crank sensor signal (for those that don't know, the 7x ckp signal goes directly to the ICM, so this interference is possible). We are absolutely seeing that event taking place the exact time one of those coils was firing (trailing edge of the current ramp). Other than that, there is no way that current ramp pattern would be missing primary events from the open plug wire. Make sense?
So again, was that latest current ramp pattern with the missing ramps taken AFTER replacing the ICM and coils and before doing the plug wires? Thanks so much!

Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by ScannerDanner.

More
5 years 1 week ago #28541 by rpd1125
Hey Paul

Yeah absolutely those were taken before the IGN Wires were replaced. After that we had no more of that happening and the customer was excited to take the car. Coil ramps looked perfect after the Ignition Wire were replaced.

Thanks again for all of your input I learned a lot from this one

Ruben

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds