Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2005 dodge magnum RT 5.7- Cranks but no Start, Starts By Gas pedal then Stalls..

More
5 years 3 months ago #26009 by hacerz
yes the light remains ON after the crank... and it was also the same before my crank gone bad.. but this time Initial start didn't need the gas pedal to be pressed..whereas if you remember, I needed gas pedal to be pressed even to start for a second..

EGR code , I didn't take care of it... I read somewhere , that the valve might not be open or stuck open something, you tap on it while the car is on idle to get rid of the stuck open or stuck close to do reverse and hopefully it reverses that p0406 code , saw this on south main auto repair youtube channel..
since i can't start the car, so couldn't do anything...

Does the EGR makes it stall? should i disconnect the harness and cranks?

will try the fuel relay removal...(by the way i was using gas pedal to start the car not brake pedal, may be a typo)

Thanks

Note: Not sure if this gives us direction to rich fuel like you said.. but whenever the car starts with me pressing gas pedal , I noticed if I try start it few times at the same time to see if it stays idle..i see white smoke burst out may be after the 3rd start...i have read its a rich (more fuel) symptom but not sure if its rich because of the try that I did few times before i am seeing this smoke or its rich from days of trying to start..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #26012 by Busted Knuckle
Rich from egr valve staying open ;) Tapping on it may not work. Also, trying to start a lot of cars with an egr valve stuck open could trigger it to shut down? I would take the valve off and look at it....even if it's not stuck open, try to put a piece of duct tape over intake hole where egr mounts and try it again. Pretty easy to take off of there.

Repair and despair since 1990

More
5 years 3 months ago #26018 by hacerz
ok. i replaced the pcm to check if pcm will supply ground to starter relay now its doing..may be the old pcm gone bad or its the shutdown as you mentioned? and since new pcm is just installed its just a matter of time it will shutdown too?

Oh may be you talking about engine shutdown....

More
5 years 3 months ago #26037 by hacerz
Not after I changed this new PCM, and also its starting without me pressing the gas pedal now.., so it could be just the EGR stuck open..

The sad part about this they towed the car from the street, so when i went to the Auto pound to pickup, i attached the pcm there and started it, it started without pressing gas pedal but stalled after few seconds...since they don't allow to repair anything there or even check something..i had to tow it to a mechanic rather than bringing back to the street...

Now its like you know what to do to fix it but gave the car to the mechanic to repair it..bad luck...

just spoke to him, he is working on it..but he said in the lines that he changed the battery..(damn its 1.5 years old and its totally fine, just need to charge-) hopefully he just charges it or installed a other one to do his diagnosis....

Will update on what he says...i am sure it will come down to EGR stuck open

1) can we release the EGR valve ourself or it needs to be replaced?

2) since its starting without gas pedal and no need to provide ground to starter relay( this wasn't a problem before but something happen and it caused this new problem), was the old pcm bad? or it just the old pcm had temp memory which was shutting down the system..?

3) Is it ok once he finishes with the car, can I install the old pcm to check if the car starts ? will that alter any temp memory or something..and bring it back to old no start issue..

4) was also thinking of checking it with the old gas pedal but i think since there is no continuity between signal and return circuits on pin 2,3 and pin 4,5 on gas pedal Accelerator pedal position sensor in the old one, i am gonna assume its bad since the new one has...so probably will leave this alone..

Thanks

More
5 years 3 months ago #26054 by Busted Knuckle
[/quote]

The p0406 is a circuit high code. It could be an open in the sensor, in open in the signal wire, the signal wire shorted to the 5v reference or to battery positive, or simply a bad ground or a bad pcm. It will probably be something else, not a stuck open egr.

You can try reinstalling the pcm and see what happens. I, myself, wouldn't. It depends on what the mechanic says the problem is.[/quote]

The reason p0406 will set with a stuck open egr valve is that the pcm is seeing the egr position sensor as high when it should not be as compared to other sensor readings such as tps and maf sensor (or map depending on vehicle) Not to mention that it is seeing this value in "start up mode." I've been a professional technician since 1990 and have seen this a lot....not so much with Chrysler products but GM is notorious for this. It used to be that you could hold the throttle open and get them to start but they would run terrible and stink like crazy. But with the advent of fly by wire throttle, some manufacturers have built in programs to keep them from actually starting in order to prevent engine damage and terrible exhaust emissions. It's called "intentional shut down." ;)

Repair and despair since 1990
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monde

More
5 years 3 months ago #26057 by hacerz
he just called soon after i gave him all the keys i have, that its a key issue and he didn't had to do anything and charge the diagnose fee $100.. what can you do, I knew this was an easy solve after the new pcm installation. I got only one or 2 crank chance to see if it starts..the auto pound guys were stopping me to test or repair anything....because they get commission from the towing guys....

I knew if i would have just used the remote starter to unlock the doors or lock, its making the security light go off.. and then start the vehicle with transponder keys and it will start....but they didn't let me test anything.. so like i said, its pure bad luck after repairing everything we could and giving it to mechanic to fix nothing...and $100 gone...

I knew right away that its just the keys issue and need to use remote starter key to remove the security light from dash..because now with the new pcm, the pcm supplied the ground to starter (this wasn't a initial problem though anyways) and also i didn't need to press gas pedal to start the car..so i knew its fixed...but they say a dog will bite you even if u are on top of a camel...
(
)

He is not saying what he did to fix it, just said one key if not working and the other is working when all of them are working..

1) But I think he removed the lower dash and took out a fuse(candle fuse) from the alarm system (gotta confirm-saw the fuse lying around). I had to confirm if he took it out from that place or he just took out the spare ones from the storage box..

2) I dont see p0031-0057 and EGR codes but i see P0137 bank1 sensor 2 code..and the graph do not show anything.. its 0v...not sure if he unplugged it but if i remember p0037 (same sensor) code was the first to come back as current fault others were pending for a while...
so i think need to replace that sensor now..
Will this 0v make the car drink more fuel or less? is it a urgent replacement or doesn't matter/

3) He said battery is bad, but its just has no charge, its a new battery. i know he might be just trying to make extra bucks..

4) I told him about the EGR code but he said no no it do not stall the engine..and kind of ignored it...so not sure if he did something to it or not...i do not see the code...

Now i have to solve the P0137 code.. and not sure if he removed the steering wheel to unplug and plug the SKIM because the horn is not working, its like not placed properly at its place..i have to put it back again now...

More
5 years 3 months ago #26081 by hacerz
the P0137?

when i replaced the pcm after the gas pedal that was it, cars fine. just needed to get rid of the security light using my remote start and start again...I didn't get a chance to use the remote key to get rid of the light and start one more time at the AUTO pound...
(i am also saying this about remote start key because, when picking up the car from mechanic, the car wouldn't crank same like before but the alarm was beeping...and couldn't get rid of it with keys...so the mechanic used my remote start key to get rid of the alarm and then the car started ...(old pcm might work fine too, i think)

I installed the new pcm at the Auto pound not where the car was...just a bad luck...

so mechanic basically didn't do anything to start the car.. and I didn't have a hard time fixing it because WE fixed it together....
(I will install the old pcm but after giving it some miles )

Now i see P0137...will look at the manual about it , its shows 0v in the live scan...may be unplugged or gone bad...

1) Will this code make the car run richer?

More
5 years 3 months ago #26087 by hacerz
so 0v makes it use more fuel or less?

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds