Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2004 F-150 running rich: P0172/P0175

More
5 years 2 months ago #26853 by Tacitus043
Would it be possible for a fuel pump to push extra volume through the injectors with fuel pressure still staying in spec? This system has a returnless PWM pump.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #26866 by cj1
Is this a flex fuel engine?

More
5 years 2 months ago #26875 by Tacitus043

cj1 wrote: Is this a flex fuel engine?

Non-Flex Fuel as far as I can tell. No stickers in the engine bay, or in the gas gap area. I also don't see any alcohol sensors in the fuel lines. I know the GM FFV's have the alcohol sensors, not sure about Ford's though. If the computer thinks it has E-85, and you really have pure old fashioned hydro carbons I can see how the system would run rich.

More
5 years 2 months ago #26878 by Tyler

Tacitus043 wrote: Would it be possible for a fuel pump to push extra volume through the injectors with fuel pressure still staying in spec? This system has a returnless PWM pump.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm not sure. :silly: But, my gut instinct and (limited) understanding of hydraulics says no. If the pressure is in spec, and the injectors are correct for the application, then the pump flow has to be correct.

Speaking of, has anyone replaced injectors? :huh: I ask because I went down this road on a BMW recently. Guy replaced all six 'just for maintenance', and ended up introducing a huge rich condition. Didn't mention that when he brought it in, OR that the injectors flowed far more fuel than the originals.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #26882 by Tacitus043
oops, please delete
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Tacitus043. Reason: deleted for redundancy

More
5 years 2 months ago #26883 by Tacitus043

Tyler wrote:

Tacitus043 wrote: Would it be possible for a fuel pump to push extra volume through the injectors with fuel pressure still staying in spec? This system has a returnless PWM pump.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm not sure. :silly: But, my gut instinct and (limited) understanding of hydraulics says no. If the pressure is in spec, and the injectors are correct for the application, then the pump flow has to be correct.

Speaking of, has anyone replaced injectors? :huh: I ask because I went down this road on a BMW recently. Guy replaced all six 'just for maintenance', and ended up introducing a huge rich condition. Didn't mention that when he brought it in, OR that the injectors flowed far more fuel than the originals.

The injectors were replaced in the very beginning. When this customer first came to the shop with this rich condition, before any real diagnostics were done, I pulled the part number off his injectors and found it did not match his 04 VIN number. After some research I found Ford did have some changes in it's fuel system for that model year, 04 also being a year shared with an older body style. I told the customer that he should put the correct injectors in to match his PCM calibration before we started going down any diagnostic rabbit holes. The customer changed the injectors himself, but the issue remained. As far as I can tell the injectors are the right ones for that year, but who knows at this point. Almost everything drive train related in this truck has been worked, and re-worked on before it ended up in my bays. I am shop number 7 at this point. Luckily this customer has been the very definition of patience and graciousness. At this point the job is not exactly a money maker, however I am determined to make this vehicle right.

Thanks for all the help.

More
2 years 9 months ago #49866 by samuel.barajas
So, did you managed to fix it ?

More
2 years 9 months ago #49870 by Cheryl
How’s the oil look? Contaminated with fuel? I’d change it since it’s running rich. Purge valve stuck open?

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds