Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1989 gmc 5.7 tbi cranks but won’t start? Need help!

More
1 year 4 months ago #58895 by wajn420@gmail.com
Hello this is my first time and first day with this form and this subscription I am just looking for some repair help I have a 1989 GMC 1500 5.7L tbi 350 small block 2wd auto 8ft bed. It have a crank but no start problem. I’ve only owed it for a month now it was previously my fathers he owned it for a year maybe 2. Never drove it but always started it and it fired up no problem periodically. I picked it up it started I put gas in it and drove about 2 1/2 hours home drove it for a day everything was fine except it hesitated stalled and died on me twice and it was almost as if it had lack of fuel because I had to almost keep my get my foot down on the gas pedal and my foot on the break at the same time to keep it running for a minute and I got better shortly after that and then completely fine and normal drove it home parked on the street went to go start it moved it into my driveway turn the ignition off and I removed an old airhorn that was super old it just had two wires connected to it but underneath my dash where I disconnected the wires from there’s also four different wires that are disconnected five wires disconnected two of them I believe are for the rear trailer attachment hook up wires and one orange wire I believe turns my rear tail lights on when I connected it so one of those wires are for my rear tail lights of some sort anyways I went to go start the vehicle and it wouldn’t start so I pulled the spark plugs out just cause I was curious on how they looked because I don’t know the condition of the vehicle I just wanted to take a look at them so I pulled one out and it was completely shot it was garbage they needed to be replaced so I replaced them I didn’t check for spark I didn’t check for fuel I didn’t check anything I tried to start the vehicle it wouldn’t start and so then I checked for spark and there was no spark I replaced the distributor the module inside the distributor the coil spark control module. At this point I have spark I also have fuel and fuel pressure I believe I said it at 0 Top Dead Center aligned the distributor to cylinder one I have the spark plugs in the correct firing order 18432somthing i’ll confirm firing order later I have the distributor number one on the cap at the same spot the coil is that and I’ve tried with and without disconnecting the electric time wire I’m not sure if I’m getting the distributor lined up in the correct timing spot because I go to start it and then I get backfire and sometimes a flame or two come back up and out I turn the distributor the opposite way I start it and it seems as if there’s no compression no spark no nothing almost seems like it’s dead in a sense well that’s my story if anybody wants to take the time to read it And can help me be my guest my spelling may not be right I’m using speak to text on my phone and I don’t feel like editing it so read it understand it ask me questions thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #58919 by Hardtopdr2
timing on that motor is 10 degrees base timing (number 1 plug wire post should be aimed directly at valve cover in board of the valve cover bolt on intake side). reset engine to top dead center compression stroke. then recheck rotor location in distributor it should be at the #1 cyl plug wire location

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.389 seconds