A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

New Impact Wrenches

More
4 years 4 months ago #34925 by Andy.MacFadyen
Oh I want one of those thread repair kits, must be really useful for SAE fittings which can be a pita, DIN tend to be easier

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #34926 by Andy.MacFadyen

Tyler wrote: Not quite a hammer or spanner, but still an awesome value:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QXQH3ZN/

$30! I initially had concerns about how it'd hold up under professional use, but it's worked every time. Get one and quit using those goofy plastic cones. :silly:

This Phoenix Systems reverse bleeder has also been a gamechanger:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GRV800S/

Twice now it's paid for itself in time saved bleeding clutches. First use was after manual bleeding didn't work out. Second time, we didn't even bother manual bleeding and just went straight for this tool. Five minutes and the job was done.

Two great tools I really should get the easy intake it would be great for checking turbo hoses.
I like the brake bleeder -- I have pump up top down bleeder great time saver for major brake jobs but overkill for clutches also a lot of clutch resevoirs on european cars are now mounted inside the car above the pedals.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #36308 by Noah
Just scored a great deal on the big boy Mac tools impact gun :)

HIGH PERFORMANCE 1/2” DRIVE AIR IMPACT WRENCH
MPF990501

Two guys at my shop each bought one from the Mac man for over $500 (with tax and such) within the last year.

www.mactools.com/en-us/Power-Tools/Air-D...ve-Air-Impact-Wrench

My Snap-On rep shows up today and asks if I have any interest in the same Mac gun,(he took on trade for a cordless rig), for $100!
I said yes right away, then asked if he had any interest in taking my Snap-On gun in trade. Been collecting dust for over 2 years now anyway.
He gave me $50 for my old Snappy and I walked off the truck with a $500+ impact gun for $50.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Noah. Reason: Add link
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

More
4 years 2 months ago #36310 by Matts Auto
Nice! Let us know what you think of it. Was looking at one the other day

More
4 years 2 months ago #36344 by Tutti57
I picked up a Wilton hammer set on Amazon for $80 and think they are great. This set came with a ball peen, dead blow, and sledge. Great deal and lifetime warranty.

Nissan Technician
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Andy.MacFadyen

• Noah
More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #38425 by Noah
I finally found a light that works for me.
Work lights have been a bit of a thorn for me.
They're generally expensive and get beaten up quickly. Not to mention that if you walk away with it stuck under a car and the battery dies, it can very easily end up taking a forever ride away.
With prices hovering in the hundreds of dollars, they're just to expensive to be disposable.
After I broke my last $70 light, exchanged it and broke it again in the course of a month, one of the guys loaned me his Snap-On neck mounted work light.
I saw them on the truck and scoffed, but I was in the dark and needed something, so I gave it a shot.
First off, wearing it around my neck was rediculous. It only lit up my beard and never pointed where I wanted it. But once I started wearing it on my head, I never looked back.
My hands are always free, the light is always where I need it and I'm never going to lose it or break it with it stuck on my dome. It lasts almost all day, unless I'm doing a head job or something where I don't break away from the car. I liked it so much I bought I second one for when the battery dies to always have one ready. Retail is around $60, my rep likes cash so I got mine for $50.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Noah.

• Noah
More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #38426 by Noah

Matts Auto wrote: Nice! Let us know what you think of it. Was looking at one the other day

After living with this gun for some time now, I'm very impressed. No regrets, very strong and well balanced.
The only thing I have close to a complaint is that the snub nose can make it difficult to reach some places that a gun with a traditional tapered nose will reach easily.

Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Noah.

More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #38481 by Andy.MacFadyen
Crimper for battery and starter cable terminnals,low cost simple hit with a hammer design. I haven't had a chance to try it yet as the lug terminnals I ordered haven't arrived yet due to the virus but it came highly recommended from several members on car builders forum and seems well made. Also sold under Draper brand name

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

• Noah
More
4 years 1 week ago #38483 by Noah
That looks great! I use a C-clamp style one, but I'd like to try that one.

More
4 years 3 days ago - 4 years 3 days ago #38603 by Andy.MacFadyen
The starter cable end crimper was a great success it makes neat triangular crimps on 0 gauge cable. To start crimp folding needed a couple of heavy wacks --- so heavy mash hammer required with the tool on a hefty wooden block such as an off cut of fence post.

Last edit: 4 years 3 days ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
4 years 8 hours ago #38739 by Tutti57
I have one but forgot all about it because of the BFH but I may break it out again. The lower ball joint on newer Rogues can be stupid to get out and we do LCAs in them all the time or pull them for CVTs.

Nissan Technician

More
4 years 8 hours ago #38741 by Tyler

Tutti57 wrote: I have one but forgot all about it because of the BFH but I may break it out again. The lower ball joint on newer Rogues can be stupid to get out and we do LCAs in them all the time or pull them for CVTs.

Nissan Technician

What's stupid about them, exactly? So can be prepared when they make it to my bay. B)

More
4 years 8 hours ago #38742 by Tutti57
I don't know! They just don't like coming out of the knuckle I guess. It usually involves the air hammer for some reason where none of the others do.

I just realized I forgot to quote your post when I first posted. I am talking about the suspension tool you posted. It might be just what I need for these.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #38765 by Andy.MacFadyen

Tutti57 wrote: I don't know! They just don't like coming out of the knuckle I guess. It usually involves the air hammer for some reason where none of the others do.

I just realized I forgot to quote your post when I first posted. I am talking about the suspension tool you posted. It might be just what I need for these.

ISTR These are basically Renault Megane/Senic as is the smaller Nissan Note --- I have change more than a few wishbones and front springs on these the first time thay have to be dismantled is a swine. In addition to the spreader I bought one of these after seeing eric O on SMA use one.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #38767 by Tyler

Tutti57 wrote: I don't know! They just don't like coming out of the knuckle I guess. It usually involves the air hammer for some reason where none of the others do.

Ohhhh, you mean the joint popper. B) I just used that on my Sentra and an old Altima, both for transmissions. It may not fit beneath the outer CV joint without some gentle grinding/modification.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Tyler.

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #41910 by Andy.MacFadyen
Recently had a major drawn out battle with a large heavy duty ball joint in an awkwared postion after trying every puller, air hammer pickle fork and trick in the box and decided I needed a very large hydraulic ball joint splitter --- found this one which did the job with very lound BANG!
Chinese made but US Pro are a good value brand at £73 with next day delivery I am more than happy :-) A really good tool highly recommended although it needed a little attention from the grinder to work particular vehicle.
I had a search around eBay and found a huge variation in the price of exactly the same tool anything from £63 to £266.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
3 years 7 months ago #42202 by Andy.MacFadyen
Caliper carrier thread repair using £8.75 eBay Helicoil kit.

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #44173 by Andy.MacFadyen
I have been on something of a tool buying spree before Brexit & Covid sends prices up here in the UK I decided I wanted an additional proper heavy duty 3 ton jack. I found this Sealley300CXD jack very similar to the one of a different brand I have had for 20 plus years. Really heavy duty and good quality over the moon with it :-) Might be too heavy for mobile techs

Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

• Noah
More
3 years 4 months ago #44190 by Noah

This thing kicks ass! It's my go to for break jobs, cleaning the rust off the brackets.

It's got abrasive around the edge of the auger side as well and is suitable for cutting and grinding.
My friend at the shop bought his 3 years ago and it's still like new.

More
3 years 4 months ago #44406 by Andy.MacFadyen
I didn't know these were available
Replacement cable for most battery boost packs.

Time to create page: 0.291 seconds