A place for things that don't fit into the automotive world

Working at Indy vs Dealer?

More
5 years 2 months ago #26255 by Tutti57
Good advice. I have to probe a little on my assumptions with them. Maybe I wasn't clear on what I was doing.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #26272 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:Working at Indy vs Dealer?
I've experienced similar resistance at most shops I've worked at. GypsyR is right - at some point soon, you're gonna diagnose/fix some clustertruck with zero parts shotgunned, if you haven't already. :lol: After a few of those, they'll start to clue in that you're not making this stuff up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tutti57

More
5 years 1 month ago #27087 by Just Jim
Replied by Just Jim on topic Working at Indy vs Dealer?
I done both and here is what I going to suggest neither one , I got of warranty work and no benefits . I went to work in the oil field that at that time the pay was a lot more . Finally the oil field does as it has before price of oil came down and so did the great paying job . I went to work for a large utility company , power generation. They also need folks that can work on equipment including cars , trucks , fleet , and of course power generation, heavy equipment ect . This company has 401 k , insurance , retirement , they pay for your continuing educations , tools , required PPE glasses boots . I get pay increase every year and bonus . I get vacation pay and personal days off . I like the statement no job is more important that safety ok . Do as you wish but there are jobs that will pay your and have benifets ,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
4 years 10 months ago #29765 by Tutti57
So my boss does know how to do a voltage drop test, I think I misunderstood. He is actually a very competent electrical guy. My coworker at the time didn't quite understand the voltage drop test but understood the need to load the circuit, so he used different types of bulbs.

I'm really liking the job here. It's been six months and I've learned wayyy more than I did at the dealership. My old co-worker has left and I am the only tech now. The owner is very hands on and helps out as needed. They just enrolled in a new tech training program too that I'm excited to check out.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbus450

More
4 years 10 months ago #29767 by Columbus450
Sorry about you losing your job hate to see anybody go through that but you doing tires reminds me when I used to do tires about 15 years ago I worked for discount tire for like 4 years and let me tell you we freakin rock and rolled over their tire dismount in mount flat repairs rotations I remember I could dismount and mount all 4 tires and balance in about 45 minutes but I wasn't taking my time I was going at a pretty good pace it was just such repetitious work I had it down pact is was about speed speed speed to them and we did it and While doing safe and efficient too,, At the end of the day I would be exhausted specially sweating all day long
O boy I'm glad those tire days are over lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 10 months ago #29804 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:Working at Indy vs Dealer?
That's good time on a set of 4! We sell a lot of used tires at the junk yard, so you get to break down the 4 "new" tires plus the ones on the customers car.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 9 months ago #30337 by Tutti57
Welp, things haven't been going great at the Indy shop. I love the people and the work, getting my hands on a wide variety of issues, but I've only hit my bonus hours twice and my family is financially sinking. we have a very elaborate process for courtesy checks that includes a 45 point check list and I have to take pictures of what I see on a variety of items, both the good and bad. You type your story into the tablet, then on paper for the service writer. The fastest I've been able to do this process is 30 minutes, on a nearly new car. the more items you find with issues, theore pictures are needed. This can be an hour process and we do it on every vehicle. If we have 4 cars on the schedule, there is 2-4 hours just looking them over. The customers love it because we text them the report, but it is time consuming for sure. We are also a AAA shop, so on Friday I was there from 7-7 because we had 4 surprise tow ins on top of 6 cars on the schedule and I'm the only tech besides the owner.

I've been in touch with my old dealership manager and am moving back. he's offering me $5/hr more than I was making there last year with a guarantee of sending to me to school enough to get two Nissan certifications by the end of the year, which will get my hourly rate up more.

More
4 years 9 months ago #30341 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:Working at Indy vs Dealer?
Sorry to hear it's not working out at the indy shop. :(

I've had similar experiences with tablet inspections. Fantastic documentation, customers love the information and pictures, incredibly time consuming. At the last shop I worked at, we spent about the same amount of time as you generating inspections because... Where do you stop? :silly: Do you document everything? Only big stuff? Pictures of everything? And I'm sure you've noticed how getting GOOD pictures of failed components can be a real pain. Then the customer doesn't buy anything. :angry:

Not criticizing, but have you brought these concerns to your current boss? I don't mean while you're handing in your two weeks. :lol: It may be a huge waste of time, but sometimes shop owners AND techs benefit from frank conversations about issues like this.

More
4 years 9 months ago #30342 by Tutti57
I have for sure. We have had a couple of conversations about how much of a struggle it is. The other guy I worked with left a couple of months ago and brought this up.

I begged for more money a out a month ago but it just wasn't something they could do at the time coming out of a long winter.

Their plan is to hire a service writer and have the owner come back to help me out but bills are piling up and my wife has had it.

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds