Relative compression

More
3 years 2 months ago #46501 by AJeep18
Replied by AJeep18 on topic Relative compression
Are you having a problem with your truck or just want to see what kind of health it is in?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46503 by Mike T
Replied by Mike T on topic Relative compression
That is good information! Thanks for it but this is an older model there is no wires going to the injectors the injectors are fired off of pressure.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46504 by Mike T
Just checking it’s Health and playing with my scope trying to get it all figured out

More
3 years 2 months ago #46505 by AJeep18

Mike T wrote: That is good information! Thanks for it but this is an older model there is no wires going to the injectors the injectors are fired off of pressure.

Oh yeah right second gen... SMH

More
3 years 2 months ago #46506 by AJeep18
You could scope the cam and/ or crank sensor signals, then you would have a known good for the future. I'm not sure how much more there is to look at on those older engines.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46514 by Mike T
This keeps telling me error

More
3 years 2 months ago #46515 by Mike T
This is a screen shot of one of my other dodges it’s a 2002 Dodge Ram 3500. 5.9l 24 valve second gen and it’s not inverted either but now I’m confused. What way is up?
Attachments:

More
3 years 2 months ago #46516 by Mike T
I know I might be driving you crazy with this lol but if that one is upside down then it’s almost perfectly matched on the compression

More
3 years 2 months ago #46517 by Mike T
here is one of my 2011 Ford F-150 5.0l
It all look right but I could have filtered it and inverted my coil but it’s right. Right? Lol I have done a few different tests this was my first one with amp clamp and and it was on backwards I thought. And I didn’t ac couple this one. So should I ac couple? Sorry For so many questions

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #46518 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Relative compression

AJeep18 wrote: not that it is really any easier than using the invert function, but could one just switch the test leads around also?

Yes, you can reverse the leads to invert the waveform. That is how I do it with the Pico. But, know your scope. If your scope shares a common ground with all channels, (and Snap-on does), then you may run into some unexpected results. :woohoo: With Snap-on, I would recommend using the Invert function.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Chad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AJeep18

More
3 years 2 months ago #46521 by AJeep18
Are you using the guided component testing feature?

More
3 years 2 months ago #46522 by AJeep18
These are the settings I used and the capture I got on a 6.7 Cummins with a bad cylinder, black lead on ground yellow lead on the positive battery cable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike T

More
3 years 2 months ago #46523 by AJeep18
I do not use an amp clamp. Just use Volts with AC coupling on

More
3 years 2 months ago #46526 by Mike T
i dont really use the guided one. well i do sometimes but alot of time i just try to figure out the right settings so im use to it if there isnt a guided test. but i still use it to try and get the right idea the first time i test something. i guess i should use it more so i dont have to bug you so much lol

More
3 years 2 months ago #46527 by Mike T
Did you see that picture i put of my 2002 dodge the compression looks so close that it looks right side up and its not inverted the spikes across the bottom of the screen witch should have been the top are straight across... lol

More
3 years 2 months ago #46566 by DougS
Replied by DougS on topic Relative compression
Hi Mike,
It looks as if you did use a voltage scale on your 2002 Dodge and that is how it should look normally. As the starter is cranked, the voltage load on the battery drops as a cylinder hits it's compression stroke and then comes back up until the next cylinder hits compression when it will drop again and so on until you stop cranking. There is actually no need to invert your pattern because that WOULD make the result confusing. Also, unless there is an uneven cranking rhythm (like in your capture of the other Dodge), I would not be too concerned with trying to find a way to synch your capture with something. At some point in the past, I thought Snap-on had a way to synch a diesel by means of clamping some device connected to your scope to a diesel injector tube.
I hope this helps. Take care,
DougS
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike T

More
3 years 2 months ago #46570 by Mike T
I haven’t found anything to clamp to the injector tube yet. I will look in to that. Thanks for the help

More
3 years 2 months ago #46574 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic Relative compression

DougS wrote: At some point in the past, I thought Snap-on had a way to synch a diesel by means of clamping some device connected to your scope to a diesel injector tube.

There are several companies that make diesel pulse adapters for use with 'scopes and timing lights. They detect the injector pressure pulse in the line going to an injector. So they probably won't work for a relative compression sync with fuel disabled.

Could pull a glow plug and use an in cylinder transducer if you want a sync badly enough...

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #46576 by DougS
Mike,
If you were able to connect some sort of Piezo sensor to the #1 Injector tube and your lab scope, could that solve this issue?
DougS
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by DougS. Reason: Addressed to wrong person

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #46577 by DougS
Sorry, Mike, but my last reply won't work because of disabling the fuel system.:( :pinch:
A pressure transducer would work (as long as it's rated high enough for diesel compression pressures).
DougS.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by DougS. Reason: Addressed to wrong person

Time to create page: 0.268 seconds