Scope.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16722 by gerber
Scope. was created by gerber
Hi guys..
If u got to choose between modis. And vantage ultra which u will pick ? Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16726 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Scope.
The MODIS will do everything the Vantage Ultra will do. Plus, it will give you 2 more scope channels, than the Vantage Ultra. It is, also a scanner/code reader. The Vantage Ultra is not.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
6 years 3 months ago #16750 by gerber
Replied by gerber on topic Scope.
I been reading in other forums .. about modis.. and they said ... when we nedd the scope. Is kind a slow.. there is 1 for sale for 500$ is a 13.2 in working conditions
But so far already confused with all the comments here and there.. i not a shop.. but i work on friends car. Every day.. and i really want to buy something to learn about use the scope.. modis for 500 will be a good start up?

More
6 years 3 months ago #16759 by arbez
Replied by arbez on topic Scope.
What Modis is it? I had an older one that was so slow & I hated having the scan tool & the scope in the same unit. The Solus Edge & Vantage Pro & my DSO scope are far better for me. $500.00 isn't a bad price for a scanner & a scope. It all depends on what you want to do & how far you want to go. In the end, it's your decision.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16781 by gerber
Replied by gerber on topic Scope.
Is the old one modis . Big box.. 4 channels. .
I have to choose from old modis 13.2. And vantage ultra 14.2 .. i just going to use the scope. I cont find that much info about the vantage ultra..

More
6 years 3 months ago #16786 by arbez

gerber wrote: Is the old one modis . Big box.. 4 channels. .
I have to choose from old modis 13.2. And vantage ultra 14.2 .. i just going to use the scope. I cont find that much info about the vantage ultra..

Here is the info on the Vantage Ultra:

www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/us/VANTAGEUltra

It is still currently offered & supported.

~~~

The old "big box" Modis is really slow & clunky (at least mine was). Still, it is a scanner & a 4 channel scope, where the Vantage is just a 2 channel scope & not a scanner. If you have nothing, the Modis is probably the direction you should go As you grow, you can pick up some more modern tools & pass that monster on to someone else.

Make sure the Modis works before you buy it. Mine took forever to boot & often had operating system issues, having to be rebooted often. The size, speed & the fact that it was a scope & scanner in one, were all reasons I detested that beast. An Autel scanner & a Vantage Pro replaced my Modus & I never regretted that decision.

~~~

You say that you are "just going to use the scope"? Does that mean that you don't need the scanner? If you don't need the scanner, than by all means, buy the Vantage. It is only 2 channels, compared to the Modis's 4, but is a much more modern tool & should be more reliable.

Only you can decide what is the best tool for your situation.

Good day - arbez

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #16833 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:Scope.
If you are just getting started with the scope, you could always try something cheaper like the uscope or hantek. Then you could decide if you need more from there.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Tutti57.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

More
6 years 3 months ago #16835 by arbez
Replied by arbez on topic Re:Scope.
I would avoid any of the "pocket scopes". Too many limitations. Do a little research & compare them to a proper scope. He didn't say anything about a DSO, so I believe he is looking for a self contained unit. $500.00 for the Modis is a fair deal, if it is working properly. He will get a scanner in addition to the scope & it isn't that much more than the UScope.

If you really look at the UScope, it isn't that great of a scope. Even compared to some of the other "pocket scopes" out there, it isn't very good. Compare it to a real scope & it is just a toy.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16836 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Scope.
UScope is a handy tool.even if you have a "proper" scope.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
6 years 3 months ago #16839 by arbez
I think the Uscope would help if you have a hard fault or one easily duplicated. It's not going to be as helpful on an intermittent issue. The single channel is a huge drawback. If I can hook up the pocket scope, I can hook up a Vantage & be much more confidant in my abilities.

A few years ago I spent 30 minutes playing around with one of these pocket scopes. Against the VP, there was no comparison. Just too many limitations. Also, the Uscope, compared to other pocket scopes, is old & slow. They need to update the hardware & software to be more current. The only thing it has going for it is the special automotive software. It's easy to set up another scope manually & get the same readings.

Here is Dave ranting about these pocket scopes

He hits all the high points

I just wouldn't like starting a diagnosis with a tool so limited. Always wondering if the tool is keeping you from making the right call.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #16862 by Andy.MacFadyen

arbez wrote: I think the Uscope would help if you have a hard fault or one easily duplicated. It's not going to be as helpful on an intermittent issue. The single channel is a huge drawback. If I can hook up the pocket scope, I can hook up a Vantage & be much more confidant in my abilities.

A few years ago I spent 30 minutes playing around with one of these pocket scopes. Against the VP, there was no comparison. Just too many limitations. Also, the Uscope, compared to other pocket scopes, is old & slow. They need to update the hardware & software to be more current. The only thing it has going for it is the special automotive software. It's easy to set up another scope manually & get the same readings.

Here is Dave ranting about these pocket scopes

He hits all the high points

I just wouldn't like starting a diagnosis with a tool so limited. Always wondering if the tool is keeping you from making the right call.

It seems to me he rants about everything .............. I won't rant or get on my soap box but I have watched just a few of videos and don't much care for his style.

Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
6 years 3 months ago #16897 by amarkel
Replied by amarkel on topic Scope.
I have to agree that pocket DSO have their limits. They are good at confirming a signal and maybe shape but not measuring the waveform. For example, here is a CAN Hi and Lo signal on a UScope (One channel=one CAN signal at a time), Autel MP408 (Hantek), Fluke 99 (channel a 2:1 probe setting, opps!) and Pico Scope. Most of these were just auto setups and not too much refinement. The Uscope is great at somethings, but should not be used to make the final call on all things. As a learning device, pocket DSOs are great for learning about triggers, scales and setting up a scope.
Attachments:

More
6 years 3 months ago #16947 by Andy.MacFadyen
I wouldn't even have considered looking at CAN Bus with a uScope/DSO 201 Nano I am actually surprised it produces an almost recognizable trace :-) it isn't a substitute for a fast multi-channel with deep memory for that kind of work but for quick fault finding. I carry mine in my daily driver, along with a cheap OBD2 dongle

More
6 years 2 months ago #17513 by check41510
Replied by check41510 on topic Re:Scope.

amarkel wrote: I have to agree that pocket DSO have their limits. They are good at confirming a signal and maybe shape but not measuring the waveform. For example, here is a CAN Hi and Lo signal on a UScope (One channel=one CAN signal at a time), Autel MP408 (Hantek), Fluke 99 (channel a 2:1 probe setting, opps!) and Pico Scope. Most of these were just auto setups and not too much refinement. The Uscope is great at somethings, but should not be used to make the final call on all things. As a learning device, pocket DSOs are great for learning about triggers, scales and setting up a scope.

How do you like the autel mp408? I have a vantage ultra but would also like a 4 channel scope, I’m undecided. I have the autel 906ts so I would use it with that and not on pc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More
6 years 2 months ago #17522 by amarkel
Replied by amarkel on topic Re:Scope.
I like it because it works well with my 906bt. I like the interface Autel built, you can’t tell it is a Hantek. I did not even realize it was a Hantek until I saw their current clamps in the probe menu. It starts up faster than my pico (probably need a faster PC). But, it does have it’s limitations. For secondary ignition, it will cut off the spike sometimes no matter how you set it up for some coils. There are no rulers so it is difficult to really look and analyze the relationship between cam and crank signals on the screen (exporting a pdf is easy). You can’t build custom probes (or I haven’t figured it out yet in the math channels). I used it recently to look at fuel injector voltage and current. It did a great job at capturing the pintle movement, so I have no complaints about the sample rate. I like, it is worth the money.

More
6 years 2 months ago #17523 by check41510
Replied by check41510 on topic Re:Scope.

amarkel wrote: I like it because it works well with my 906bt. I like the interface Autel built, you can’t tell it is a Hantek. I did not even realize it was a Hantek until I saw their current clamps in the probe menu. It starts up faster than my pico (probably need a faster PC). But, it does have it’s limitations. For secondary ignition, it will cut off the spike sometimes no matter how you set it up for some coils. There are no rulers so it is difficult to really look and analyze the relationship between cam and crank signals on the screen (exporting a pdf is easy). You can’t build custom probes (or I haven’t figured it out yet in the math channels). I used it recently to look at fuel injector voltage and current. It did a great job at capturing the pintle movement, so I have no complaints about the sample rate. I like, it is worth the money.

Thank you for your review. I saw one for sale for 275 which seems like an offaly great deal for an add on to the autel. I would really like to get my hands on a pico scope, maybe with tax returns....

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More
6 years 2 months ago #17715 by wes p
Replied by wes p on topic Re:Scope.
there is another scope even better then u scope its the JYE Tech DSO 112A Touch screen I have one been playing it on my 2007 aveo I can read K2000 protocol serial data line with it I believe is 34.5K baud rate. I havnt tried it yet on cam or crank singals but for 50 dallars comes with alligator leads that are short but does the trick

More
6 years 2 months ago #17998 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:RE: Re:Scope.

wes p wrote: there is another scope even better then u scope its the JYE Tech DSO 112A Touch screen I have one been playing it on my 2007 aveo I can read K2000 protocol serial data line with it I believe is 34.5K baud rate. I havnt tried it yet on cam or crank singals but for 50 dallars comes with alligator leads that are short but does the trick

How is the interface on it? Does it have any presets for a beginner?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

More
6 years 1 month ago #18404 by GypsyR
Replied by GypsyR on topic Scope.
On topic, I have both and very much prefer to use the Modis. Mine looks like it had a hard life before I got it but still works fine. I don't mind it being a little slow to do certain things, I have others that are faster when I need to be quick. I've used newer scanners (Launch in particular) that cost more and are a lot slower.

The Modis has a lot of neat "how-to" features in it if you care to dig. It has a LOT more ability to scan codes in depth than any new pocket type scanner you can buy for under $200 or so. About everything in the Vantage is in the Modis,. but the Modis has lot more software in it than tthe Vantage does not.

Many people seem to just love their Vantages over all else. (Noticed the same thing with Pico scope users) I never found mine to be particularly great for what I do. It's just a tool to me. If I have another tool handy that I feel does a better job for me, I'll use it.

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds