A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

GODIAG GT100 BOB - Thoughts?

More
3 years 3 months ago #45460 by Tyler
Since the AESWave SmartBOB always seems to be out of stock these days, I was considering this item from Amazon:

www.amazon.com/GODIAG-Breakout-Protocol-...ostic/dp/B08L4H9H4M/

It looks pretty capable? And the price is competitive. Does anyone own one? Alternatives, suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #45464 by AJeep18
Well the OTC and Power Probe ones look a little less.... Chinese, (yes I'm sure they are all made there), but it would certainly be hard to beat the price. Have not used one. The idea of bench testing modules is interesting, but I am not exactly sure how it would work in practice. Kinda handy that it can be used as a memory saver when replacing a car's battery. I haven't needed one enough to buy one yet, but would be interested in a review :)

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #45468 by Tutti57
I've had this cheapo generic one for like 3 years and it does what it's supposed to. Some of the reviews on others like it talk about pin placement issues but mine is fine. You can find them for like $45 on eBay and probably if you shop around on amazon.

www.amazon.com/dp/B07M9K6RNX/ref=cm_sw_r...a_fabc_x5P5FbYKWYSY5

We have the otc at work too that I've used a few times. Definitely better quality feeling but also like 4x the price.

A few weeks ago I thought I had an open on a CAN main line and was about to test the tool then found a bent pin on the dlc side of the tool. Not sure if the bend had something to do with it being low quality or what.

You kinda have me wanting to open up the tool to see if it's a rats nest or looks like it was built by an adult. This is one of the tools where I'm not sure you have to spend a lot on to get results, so I'd go for the one you posted. Then again, whenever I recommend stuff that has been fine for me, the person who buys it has trouble with it or hates it, so there's that.

Nissan Tech
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Tutti57.

More
3 years 3 months ago #45476 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic GODIAG GT100 BOB - Thoughts?

AJeep18 wrote: Well the OTC and Power Probe ones look a little less.... Chinese

You're not wrong there. Also, whenever I look at the GODIAG logo on the tool, my eyes can't help but read it as CODIAC. :lol:

I've had this cheapo generic one for like 3 years and it does what it's supposed to. Some of the reviews on others like it talk about pin placement issues but mine is fine. You can find them for like $45 on eBay and probably if you shop around on amazon.

www.amazon.com/dp/B07M9K6RNX/ref=cm_sw_r...a_fabc_x5P5FbYKWYSY5

I saw that one, too! At that price, even if you only used it a few times a year, it's still worth having around. B)

I liked the idea of that breakout harness that comes with the GT100 for bench testing? Not sure if it's worth the extra money.

More
3 years 3 months ago #45487 by gav09
Replied by gav09 on topic GODIAG GT100 BOB - Thoughts?
I bought the cando one and saw this one came out shortly after. I probably wouldve gave it a shot. Still might.

More
3 years 2 months ago #45794 by spit64
Replied by spit64 on topic GODIAG GT100 BOB - Thoughts?
I own one but have not used it so far I tried to use little force on the pins they does not feel weak.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46018 by spit64
Replied by spit64 on topic GODIAG GT100 BOB - Thoughts?
I noticed that this guy use it as professional can't be too bad
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
3 years 2 months ago #46052 by Tyler

spit64 wrote: I noticed that this guy use it as professional can't be too bad

No joke. :woohoo: I can't think of much higher praise. Consider me sold!

More
3 years 1 month ago #46606 by Tyler
Finally got my hands on one of these last week. Gotta say, it's well worth the money! B)

Works perfectly as a BOB. Works even better when bench testing modules. The test harness it comes with has enough power/ground/CAN/network pins to connect to everything I had on hand. I tested a '13 Sentra PCM and an '04 GM BCM with no problems:

More
3 years 1 month ago #46613 by juergen.scholl

Tyler wrote: Finally got my hands on one of these last week. Gotta say, it's well worth the money! B)

Works perfectly as a BOB. Works even better when bench testing modules. The test harness it comes with has enough power/ground/CAN/network pins to connect to everything I had on hand. I tested a '13 Sentra PCM and an '04 GM BCM with no problems:

I completly agree with you, working very good both bench testing and in car/bob. Additionally, it is cheap moneywise.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
3 years 1 month ago #46640 by AJeep18
That is pretty sweet...

More
3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #47257 by Wightscope
I really don't need one as I have a basic unit already, ... but look at all those blinking lights and shiny bits, and switches. :woohoo:
I'll have to think up some spurious reason to buy one, just because.!
- Even though it does annoy me that the pin positions are wrong relative to the socket, I'll get over it.
Not that I need one anyway of course...

A question on bench usage, are you providing external power to the BOB, then pin out to the ECU and bringing only the ECU outputs you are interested in back into the BOB? Can you then hook up the scan tool to talk with the ECU as well as test outputs at the sockets. Would I be correct in assuming this is to eliminate any ECU inputs on the car causing it to fail (Like the DDan BMW video with the shorted handle killing the locking module that killed the car for example).
Last edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by Wightscope.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #47258 by Tyler

Wightscope wrote: A question on bench usage, are you providing external power to the BOB, then pin out to the ECU and bringing only the ECU outputs you are interested in back into the BOB? Can you then hook up the scan tool to talk with the ECU as well as test outputs at the sockets. Would I be correct in assuming this is to eliminate any ECU inputs on the car causing it to fail (Like the DDan BMW video with the shorted handle killing the locking module that killed the car for example).

That's a big one, sure. Another would be to do bench programming, or to verify that an EEPROM repair worked as intended

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #47259 by Wightscope
Great. Well I definitely need one then..

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #47268 by Tyler

Wightscope wrote: Great. Well I definitely need one then..

:lol: I forgot to mentioned it works well as a memory saver. I've done three or four battery replacements now with no problems.

My coworker has his own Zeus with the wireless dongle. After having left it in customers cars a couple times, he figured out the best way to not lose it was to leave the dongle connected to the GT100 and bring both along everywhere. :lol: Like a big 'Remove Before Flight' tag.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #47270 by Wightscope
So now I'm 100 bucks lighter!

I thought I would have the same issue with the little 906BT dongle but the machine beeps like mad to warn you to remove it. Was going to attach a bit of scary looking wire to it just in case, but I like the idea of the Godiag!

Thanks for the review. It's such a shame that lot of the genuine assessments of products by techs has been lost on the alter of sponsored products. [rant deleted!]

Hopefully it's first job will be that Cadillac next week.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #47391 by Wightscope
Got this a few days ago, have to say that it's great value... even for a tool I didn't strictly need :whistle:

Question, what are the 12v(15) and 12v(30) switches for is that just power supply to the breakout cable from the DC converter?

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #47436 by Tyler

Wightscope wrote: Got this a few days ago, have to say that it's great value... even for a tool I didn't strictly need :whistle:

I just take comfort in knowing that I've spent more money on worse tools. :silly: Like the Texas Twister:

Question, what are the 12v(15) and 12v(30) switches for is that just power supply to the breakout cable from the DC converter?

Those are there to power the bench test harness with hot at all times power (15) and key on power (30). It's useful when bench programming modules that require key cycles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wightscope

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds