A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Home made in cylinder transducer

More
2 years 9 months ago #49892 by al514
The setup I have works really well, it's a 300psi transducer, and measures vacuum if the correct calculation is put into pico custom probe settings. I just need to figure out how to lower the setting by 2 psi. That's all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #49897 by Matt T

The setup I have works really well, it's a 300psi transducer, and measures vacuum if the correct calculation is put into pico custom probe settings. I just need to figure out how to lower the setting by 2 psi. That's all
Ā 

Try using a lookup table. Numbers I threw in are guesses for a 300 PSIA 0-5 V transducer. You'll have to adjust the voltages in the table to match your transducer. Also bear in mind that if you do have an absolute transducer the PSIG zero will drift around a bit due to changes in barometric pressure.

Ā 

More
2 years 9 months ago #49941 by al514
Ā  This is the Linear equation I used for the 300psi transducer so I could use it for incylinder. That way I can see the vacuum pockets, it's just about 1.8psi off. I just need it to read zero at atmosphere. I can see incylinder waveforms with this equation great. I watched a video about setting the custom probes using a look up table with a 5 volt sensor, and it instructed to want to set your 0 psi at 0.5v and your max psi at 4.5v. Here's the video about that. I set my 80psi transducer by this and it compensates for atmospheric pressure I guess is the reasoning behind it

• Noah
  • Noah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 1 month ago #54887 by Noah
I'm still playing with these, just wanted to share an update for anyone interested.
Really my only complaint using salvaged pressure sensors is the lack of accurate voltage to psi scaling.
I recently discovered that the oil pressure sensor on Chrysler 3.6l V6 engines is just about a perfect 1-1 scale using the 100psi transducer setting on Snap-On scopes.
When bench tested against a trusted gauge I never saw more than a 3psi variance up to 100psi on the Verus Edge and Vantage Pro scope.
And, bonus, since I can use the transducer preset, now I can power the sensor with the appropriate AUX connector on the scope and not the USB port. (The aux power source is only switched "on" when selecting a preset that requires it, so on voltage scale the transducers need a different 5v power source)

I have changed a handful of the oil filter housings on these engines under the intake manifold (mostly Grand Cherokees and Chrysler 300s) and decided to harvest the pressure sensors.
It's a pretty common issue so chances are if you're in an independent repair shop, you'll have a chance to score one no charge.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler, juergen.scholl

More
2 years 1 month ago #54888 by juergen.scholl
Thank you Noah for this interesting update. Two questions here:

- Did you take a scope capture of both the pressure reading and the signal voltage as such at the same time?

- Do you happen to know the range/ max. pressure this sensor is capable; does it work with snap throttle acceleration reaching the 300 psi region?

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

• Noah
More
2 years 1 month ago #54889 by Noah
I was looking for a picture to upload, but I guess I didn't save one. If I have downtime today I will post a picture.
I am however doubtful that it will be capable of reflecting pressure of the magnitude you mention.
I have yet to try it in a cylinder, but even if it's not an appropriate sensor for in cylinder testing, it will still be useful for other testing such as oil pressure and perhaps fuel pressure.

More
2 years 1 month ago #54890 by Matt T

- Do you happen to know the range/ max. pressure this sensor is capable; does it work with snap throttle acceleration reaching the 300 psi region?

Since the sensor works with a 0-100psi scale it's probably putting out at least 4 volts at 100psi. It uses a 5V supply so the voltage isn't available to get anywhere near 300psi. The output will likely be clipped at 5V somewhere around 120psi.

More
2 years 1 month ago #54911 by juergen.scholl
I understand your reasoning. Voltage and pressure readings would confirm the sensor's operating span/correlation. It still may be the 100 psi range limiting a higher reading.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

• Noah
More
2 years 1 month ago #54927 by Noah

• Noah
More
2 years 1 month ago #54933 by Noah
That was plugged into my cylinder leak down tester, from high pressure to low.
Max is about 100psi @ 4.5v
Min about 0.3psi @ 0.5v

The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl

More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #54934 by juergen.scholl

That was plugged into my cylinder leak down tester, from high pressure to low.
Max is about 100psi @ 4.5v
Min about 0.3psi @ 0.5v

This confirms pretty much Matt's assumption about the operating range.

P.S. You really like this picture, donĀ“t you?:woohoo:

Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by juergen.scholl.

• Noah
More
2 years 1 month ago #54951 by Noah
lol, I'm more impressed at how easy it was to save a BMP right from the Vantage pro to a USB stick and upload the image.

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds