A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

New buisness owner alldata subscription

More
4 years 7 months ago #33672 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Scantool Reviews
I've been meaning to play with that functionality more. :blush: I've also got a new ELM327 adapter to try out, so I'll let you know what I find!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #33688 by Tyler
Finally got the bidirectional control to work. :lol: Donut, you were right on with the 'Control' button. I never would have gotten there without your suggestion.

For everyone else, the button we're talking about is this one:

But before you click it, you have to first load up the data PID's you want to watch, AND which controls you want to use. I went with the VCT system as an example because the commands will reflect in the data nicely.

Choosing the data to watch:

Then picking out the output control:

Then hit Play at the lower left, then Control, and you get the menu to run the outputs. :cheer: The first picture shows the VCT control working perfectly.

There's other fun stuff, too, like the Commanded Equivalnce Ratio function. This gives you direct control of the air/fuel ratio, much like the Toyota and Nissan functional tests. I have a Modis Ultra at 19.4 - this test is nowhere on it.

Only had a couple minutes but while I was able to find the menu, couldn't get any outputs to actually work. The Forscan forums say the module needs to be put into a diagnostic mode in order to use output commands, which is news to me and am unsure if the Forscan software does that automatically when an output command is sent.

From my experience, I think this has more to do with the test you're choosing and when you try to run it? For giggles I tried the All Injectors Disabled test for relative compression purposes. It works, but only if you start the test KOEO. :silly: If you try it with the engine running, nothing happens.

There's other limitations that I found while playing around. With the VCT command, if I had the slider at -13 degrees (which is possible for this engine) and moved it to +25 degrees (which is impossible on this engine), the test quit and just went back to open loop.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Tyler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen, Andy_, sajnoor

More
4 years 6 months ago #33710 by TheTechWhisperer
Replied by TheTechWhisperer on topic Scantool Reviews
I recently heard about FORScan on Diag.net and downloaded it last week. I am shocked how much it can do, in the limited time I have used it so far. It honestly seems like one of those things that seems too good to be true. It's amazing!

"You will always find the greatest fulfillment in life when you are operating in the gifts God gave you"- Dad

National Director of Technical Training & Mechanical Operations - Express Oil Change & Tire Engineers
ASE Master L1 Tech
BMW Master Tech
Ford FACT Advanced Electronics Instructor

More
4 years 6 months ago #33731 by Donut
Replied by Donut on topic Scantool Reviews

Tyler wrote: Finally got the bidirectional control to work. :lol: Donut, you were right on with the 'Control' button. I never would have gotten there without your suggestion.

Glad to be of service! Although it was a little tricky to parse through the instructions since the developer's first language does not appear to be English.

From my experience, I think this has more to do with the test you're choosing and when you try to run it? For giggles I tried the All Injectors Disabled test for relative compression purposes. It works, but only if you start the test KOEO. :silly: If you try it with the engine running, nothing happens.

I'm like 90% sure I was just doing something wrong. Just to see if it worked I commanded the purge solenoid on at around a 50% duty cycle but couldn't hear/feel anything. But by that point my time to play with it was over, had to give the car back empty handed. One day I'll get another Ford product to test it out on!

That's pretty cool with the commanded equivalence ratio. Can definitely see some uses for that in the future. And I'm not too surprised that the Modis, or any other 3rd party scanner for that matter, wouldn't have that output control. Their software designers probably don't even know what that is and fewer techs will know how to use it unfortunately.

The thing I love most about FORScan is you don't have to have memorized or written down measuring block channel numbers like with VCDS, which is a functionality on the Modis that is very frustrating when working with VW/Audi. The (comparatively) cheap Launch X-431 gives you the option for a full PID list or channel selection and a full list of every channel and a description; Something else Snap-On should take note of if they plan to still charge a kings ransom for their scanners.

"Don't ever say 'easy' until the check clears."

More
4 years 6 months ago #33911 by Tyler

Donut wrote: Glad to be of service! Although it was a little tricky to parse through the instructions since the developer's first language does not appear to be English.

Agreed, there's definitely a learning curve involved. But for this price, worth it!

Since my BAFX ELM 327 adapter will only do HS-CAN, I went looking for a better adapter that'll do MS-CAN as well. There's tutorials out there on how to add your own switch? But I'm lazy. :silly:

Picked up the OBDLink MX+ , and it works perfectly with FORScan. :cheer: Can't say it's any faster? But the functionality is there.

More
4 years 1 month ago #38257 by tspinat
Replied by tspinat on topic SCAN TOOLS
HI ANDY : YES YOUR RIGHT WHAT YOU SAID .HOW EVER SNAPON YOU HAVE TO PAY $50 A YR FOR GATEWAY ACCESS. THIS SHOULDBE INCLUDED INTHE UPDATES. AS FAR AS AUTEL GOES THERE BEST AND FASTEST SCANNER IS THE ELITE.YOU WILL STILL NEED THE 12-8 CABLE UNTIL BOTH COMPANYS INCLUDE IT IN THE UPDATE PRICE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtech494

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #39867 by Bumfne
Replied by Bumfne on topic SCAN TOOLS
I recently bought this Autel MaxiCOM MK808 OBD2 Scanner bestobd2scanners.com/autel/maxicom-mk808-review/ and so far this scanner is the best one I have used so far. I'll add more details to my opinion an review after I have used it some more.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Bumfne.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41037 by sajnoor
Replied by sajnoor on topic Scantool Reviews
As far i know most dealer diagnostic software supports pass thru so one scanner and all the software should be all you need, peeps correct me if im wrong.

More
3 years 7 months ago #42373 by Wyeth
Replied by Wyeth on topic Scantool Reviews
About 6 months ago, I purchased a Delphi DS150e clone which I thought would be a good buy, seeing that I had two different vehicles. At first, it worked very well, used it twice on the Jetta v5, and tried once on the Mercedes W210 with the 38 pin connector. I could read connet to any of he modules on the Mercedes, even with the proper 16-38pin connector. As for the scanner, that was the last time it worked.

About a month ago, I purchased the iCarsoft MB V1.0, which is a vehicle specific scanner, to save costs I think. And I can honestly say, Im very happy with it. Plugged it into my W210 using the proper 16-38pin connector, and immediately picked up a P0100 error code. I can do live date, reset service lights etc. Build quality is great, comes supplied with a handy carry bag and a usb cable. I tried this unit on a 2004 C240 without problems. Im not super adept with the use of it, yet, so cannot comment on what exactly it is capable of doing. The website does mention a whole list of tests that can be done with this unit.

There are other vehicle specific models available as well. So far Im a happy chappy, its done what I wanted it to do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tyler

More
3 years 5 months ago #43976 by Magic Mike
Replied by Magic Mike on topic Scantool Reviews
I am thinking about purchasing a new diagnostic scanner for my business and have been looking into the alltel ultra and the alltel 908s pro. I was wondering if there were any suggestions on the type of computer for diagnostics that gives the widest range and capabilities... I really like the alltell ultra seems to have the best bang for your buck. My main focus is being able to program and code ecms after replacement with vin mileage and flashing OEM programming if necessary which they both seem to be capable of. I would also like to be able to program keys and fobs however I don't want to breach locksmithing or get into locksmithing and am concerned if I go with the alltel 608 that I will end up border lining on having to get license for locksmithing. So have seriously been thinking about staying with diagnostics type scanners only. Any feedback or information you guys could give me would be great it's an expensive purchase and I want to try to my make the right choice. I have a saying by to try which I really hate because you don't really know what things are totally capable of or which one you like the best and tell you have purchased it and decide you don't like it but are then stuck with it. I hate wasting money so I've turned to this new channel and forum that I have found while researching the capabilities of the scanner that I'm looking at which I really like the in-depth information that scanner provides and have looked into signing up for his paid channel for furthering my understanding and abilities while using my diagnostics tools and knowledge. Without rambling on forever thanks again for any information. BTW I have looked into other scanners as well as the snap-on matco and a few other more top of the line tools but like everyone I do have a limit and need to keep it somewhat in the medium price range even though I'm trying to get the best I can for what i can afford...

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #43978 by Andy.MacFadyen
Replied by Andy.MacFadyen on topic Scantool Reviews
Wyeth Re Delphi not working a ripp-off clones get the software shutdown when on line. Con't blame them the official "puka" Delphi package is far from cheap, quality costs.
I agree the iCarSoft one make tools are good value especially for BMW, Jaguar, Land-Rover, Mercedes & Porche.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #43979 by Andy.MacFadyen
Magic Mike: It is a really pita that scantool manufacturers never give a full rundown on exactly what a scantool will access on a particular vehicle , even more annoying is when you click on a module or function and get the "This Feature is Under Development" message.

Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
3 years 5 months ago #43987 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic Scantool Reviews

Tyler wrote: Picked up the OBDLink MX+ , and it works perfectly with FORScan. :cheer: Can't say it's any faster? But the functionality is there.

The phone app that comes with it is pretty good for the price too. OE codes and PIDs for Toyota, Ford/Mazda and 2006+ Nissan. GM only has OE codes not PIDs but seems to work, a little too well if anything :lol: Also supposed to have Honda and Hyundia/Kia OE codes but I haven't tried it on either.

It's also compatible with several third party apps. I don't have android so the only one I've tried is Car Scanner Pro. Being able to switch PIDs while you're graphing is worth the $3.

More
3 years 5 months ago #43988 by simclardy
Replied by simclardy on topic Re:Scantool Reviews
I purchased the launch x431 v+ from amazon. $1200ish.

I don't do this for a living.

diagnosed my friends savanna 1500 2013 air bag system.

works well with my ford 250 2007
I think I was able to deactivate injectors.
nothing wrong with this truck

worked well on my honda odyssey 2007. used to fix tpms issues

just worked to learn an optical sensor on a 2003 workhorse p43 step van 6.5l diesel.
it was also able to deactivate injectors.

overall very happy but have little to compare it to.
cheers

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

More
3 years 4 months ago #44895 by PC
Replied by PC on topic Scantool Reviews
Anyone out there heard of or tried or reviewed the Zurich Pro scanner sold through Harbor Freight? It's a smidge over $1000. Seems to have a substantial amount of abilities for a scan tool of that price. Many features the mid to high end professional scanners have. Seems to be a really good full blown scanner for DIYers who are on a tight budget. Would like some fees back if possible.
Thanks.

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #45126 by PhantomOBD
Replied by PhantomOBD on topic Scantool Reviews
Has anyone tried the thinkdiag it is said to be made by launch and support enhanced dtc codes, special functions and actuation tests .

I have been looking to buy one from thinkdiag but I would prefer some feedback from people who have the device if possible.
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by PhantomOBD.

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #45139 by Andy.MacFadyen
I have been watching it for a while the software is basically the same as the Launch X431 range but on a pay per rmanufacturers basis. I use a Launch X431 Diagun V it is a great tool with a lot of the special functions but not perfect I mainly use BMW and Rover and Land-Rover modules and at least on the older BMW some of the more specialalised functions are on the menu but don't work

The Alternative is the Autel AP200 which is also high quality www.autelsale.co.uk/wholesale/autel-ap20...mEAQYASABEgI3yvD_BwE

Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
3 years 4 months ago #45195 by lpburke86
Replied by lpburke86 on topic Scantool Reviews

PhantomOBD wrote: Has anyone tried the thinkdiag it is said to be made by launch and support enhanced dtc codes, special functions and actuation tests .

I have been looking to buy one from thinkdiag but I would prefer some feedback from people who have the device if possible.

I think my biggest issue with the think Diag tool is that subscription that is required to use the tool at all. I don't like being locked into a payment to make something not a $125 paperweight. It would be different if it kept at least a basic obd2 functionality without the subscription.... but no. You spend $125 the first year, and $40 a year after that, or it's the lightest brick you'll ever buy.

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #45198 by Andy.MacFadyen

lpburke86 wrote:

PhantomOBD wrote: Has anyone tried the thinkdiag it is said to be made by launch and support enhanced dtc codes, special functions and actuation tests .

I think my biggest issue with the think Diag tool is that subscription that is required to use the tool at all. I don't like being locked into a payment to make something not a $125 paperweight. It would be different if it kept at least a basic obd2 functionality without the subscription.... but no. You spend $125 the first year, and $40 a year after that, or it's the lightest brick you'll ever buy.

Like it or not up to date diagnostic software costs money.
As I need good Euro box coverage my main tool is a Launch Diagun V it came with 2 years free updates after which it will continue to work I decided that for the way I use it most economic path was to simply replace the whole tool every 3 to 4 years.
In North America is are fairly lucky in that the big three domestic manufacturers are well covered by lower cost tools or software but fFor Euro boxes and Asian diagnostic access beyond EOBD or JOBD less is avaialable at low cost.

There is of course a selection of one make hand held tools aimed at car owners and software iCarsoft for example have a good range of fairly powerful handheld devices. One brand low cst PC Software includes Forscan (Ford), MultiECU (Fiat group & increasingly Chrysler). inPA (BMW group), Ross-Tech VDS (VW group), TOAF (Mg-Rover but not LR) and there are lots more.

Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chisel

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #45841 by cadman777
Replied by cadman777 on topic Scantool Reviews
This looks like an updated version of my old Pegisys.
I'm getting sick of this boat anchor, b/c it lacks must of anything for usefulness and the scope is so low res that it's hard to read the signals.
OTC had a laptop program called PCScan, but I think they put it on that Bosch tool now. What I don't like is that nobody will put all the years, makes and models ON ONE PC DIAGNOSTIC SOFTWARE so we can go to one solution with any VCI we want. If USG will mandate 'right to repair' then all the OEM's will be forced to disclose all data so that can happen, and thus end the tyranny of data metering for money. At least in Europe they've started that process.

If I'm wrong about this, then will someone please tell me which software I can buy that has all years, makes and models on it with full functionality that works on any VCI? I have a Launch J-box2 (CarDaq-Plus2), GM MDI2, Chrysler MicroPod2 clone (works great!), and old Pegisys VCI. Surely someone's PC software can work with all of those? That's the reason I came in here today, to see if such an animal exists. I've been waiting since the days of Snapon's MT2500 and STILL they're all living in the dark ages of computer tech!
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by cadman777.

Time to create page: 0.262 seconds