A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Amazon Launch x431 v+ scanner

More
4 years 8 months ago #31354 by rome83
No problem at all. I will definitely let you know what I think once I receive it and play around. To be honest most of the scanners I own, I'd estimate around 85% of the functions are all exactly the same(except VCDS). There are small differences between them on certain makes and they all vary greatly in price range. Like most of the shop owners on here, you'd find nearly all of them have at least two different scan tools to cover the range available on the market. The Launch is the cheapest scan tool of the lot but I am not sure how close to my other scanners it is. I was told by the Australia distributors that this model does not have the same functionality of the professional level diagnostic tools. They could either be right or saying that because they want me to pay triple the price to buy one from them. I will certainly keep you informed as I go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #31389 by Desmond6004
I live on an island as well in New Zealand :) Our Launch Diagun X431 is about 15 years old and still surprises us with some of the things it can do. Generally because USA cars all went OBD2 from 1996 we can scan any USA vehicle. Japan only went OBD2 somewhere around 2005, Europe around 2002. Japanese vehicles have JOBD and Korean vehicles KOBD, then there are Chinese vehicles that have their own language. There are days when we have 10 vehicles in our workshop and only one of them is OBD2. But then OBD2 is only an emissions related standard that manufacturers have to comply with - there is a lot of other information and features they don't have to provide and this is down to the scan tool, as to whether it does those extras or not. We have An Autoland, Snap-on, Launch Diagun, Launch 24v X431, Fcar, Autel Maxisys - and each has their strengths and weaknesses. The new Autel is the most up to date but it's like Windows 10 - updates can cause issues. I just received my own personal Launch CRP123X and it is a really nice tool. What you have to look for in a scan tool when you're on an island is whether it advertises that it also does OBD1 - that is all the other languages that aren't OBD2.

Getting involved in discussions because I have a lot to learn still.
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Desmond6004.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chisel, aboudi.naddaf

More
4 years 8 months ago #32162 by chisel
Desmond6004, I appreciate this post.
First I've heard of KOBD though Hyundai and Kia are very popular in the island.
The original Launch X431 for a considerable time was the only diagnostic scan tool the fellas took a chance with. They came with a wide assortment of vehicle manufacturer's specific connectors which I was told, were for OBD1 compatibility.

There's a sprinkle of Autels breaking through but no experience with them in action. If there are specific scanners for Korean vehicles the dealers garages would have those. Only the mechanics who work there would have access to them and to associated information. These chaps can comfortably be recruited by USA, British or Israeli Intelligence agencies. Talk about tight-lipped?

There goes another fantastic collection of diagnostic scanners.
As one considers the local dollar value, it's easy to envision a major order of timber for a remodel.(Might just be able to squeeze in a new hurricane resistant roof!).

More
4 years 5 months ago #34265 by Story1
How did the launch X431 V+ work out for you ? I work in Australia to and have been checking these out on Amazon but i am a little cautious.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chisel, aboudi.naddaf

More
4 years 4 months ago #35214 by dustin.moen1
i had a launch x431pro. it was red, bought it off my cornwell guy new about a yyear ago when i first opened my own shop. I onlly had snap on, and tech 2 experience before this. man, this launch suprised me with how much it could do! especially on the euro cars compared to the solus. It is long gone now, due to being slower then a wet fart. sometimes would take 5 minutes just to pull codes from a car. and that was wired, not using the wireless feature. i talked to my dealer, and he claimed it should be fast, but wont be as fast as snap on units. he even sent it in and it came back checked out as ok.! Awesome scanner at a fantastic price even for being slow.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35218 by Andy.MacFadyen
No doubt some tools can pull codes a lot faster than others, some take a long time just to start communiating Euro boxes on the old ISO9141-2 can be a pita. One thing I will praise Launch X431 for is they rarely fail to make a connection at the first attempt also they can communicate with a lot of optional modules such as Eberspacher /Webasto fuel burning heaters on BMW and Land-Rover diesels.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtech494, aboudi.naddaf

More
4 years 4 months ago #35365 by JD435
Replied by JD435 on topic Amazon Launch x431 v+ scanner
I am also looking to purchase a Launch x431 V+ on Amazon. After reading reviews realized not all x431 where not legit. Reading this post seems only one seller is legit but no mention who the this seller is.

Former diesel mechanic 30 years ago who still works families vehicles and equipment. Have been using my VCDS for 15 years now working on a few VW and reading ODBII codes on non-VW vehicles. Need a bidirectional tool for advance troubleshooting with the newer cars and trucks. Most of the shops I talk to are using one of the SnapOn

More
4 years 3 months ago #35422 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic Amazon Launch x431 v+ scanner

JD435 wrote: I am also looking to purchase a Launch x431 V+ on Amazon. After reading reviews realized not all x431 where not legit. Reading this post seems only one seller is legit but no mention who the this seller is.

I've heard a lot of positive feedback from other technicians who bought their Launch from Kingbolen.
kingbolen-official.myshopify.com/
Am friends with the marketing director on Facebook. Nice guy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tyler, Andy.MacFadyen, aboudi.naddaf, jimaik

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #35476 by Andy.MacFadyen
I am going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new tool, the OBDII adaptor for the CarCare TS I was using has went AWOL while I can cover 95% of what I do with my other assorted tools and softwareI have decided going for a Launch Diagun so watching the currency exchange rates before I buy --- the GB pound against the Euro and US Dollar is a bit volatile at the moment.

Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
4 years 3 months ago #35477 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Amazon Launch x431 v+ scanner
Just got myself a Pro Mini from Kingbolen on a black friday deal. Glad to hear they've got good feedback, Dylan. :cheer:

I've only used it on my personal fleet so far. We'll see how it does with real broken cars on Monday.

More
4 years 3 months ago #35512 by Andy.MacFadyen
Pulled the trigger on the Diagun IV same seller but from UK branch, bought via eBay as a considerable cheaper than Amazon Prime --- also they took my best offer which brought price down to £500, delivery expected Friday,

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #35527 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Amazon Launch x431 v+ scanner
Put the new Pro Mini through a day of use on the job. :) I want to detail the experience because I struggled to find examples of how well the tool performs in the real world. Most of the reviews say nice things, but few details about its ins-and-outs. Hopefully this'll benefit any perspective buyers. :cheer:

- 2009 Toyota Camry, EVAP leak faults. Automatic identification of the vehicle doesn't work. :( The manual selection options list is HUGE, mostly because the software includes vehicles that aren't sold in North America. Once ID'd, the scan data and bidirectional testing gets me what I need.

- 2015 BMW 535i. Flawlessly performs the rear trunk lid motor initialization procedure. My Modis Ultra won't talk to that module, much less initialize it. Point, Launch.

- 2013 Ford F-150 3.5L - Again, Automatic ID is out to sea. :silly: Disappointing, because these trucks are everywhere around here. The actual coverage is fantastic and easy to navigate, once you get there. PMI functions are there - Nice. B)

- 2008 Dodge Ram 1500, failed coil driver and a melted coil. Automatic ID works perfectly. There's no live misfire data? :huh: I know the vehicle supports it. Maybe it's in there somewhere...? Not a huge deal. Injector kill test works as advertised.

- 2014 Chevrolet Traverse. No problems, just wanted to play around. Does everything I ask it to.

- 2012 Hyundai Equus, getting a new air suspension compressor. All the data and bidirectional functions are there, perfectly keeping pace with the Autel I connected to it last week.

After the new compressor, with the Launch connected, I get a hard fault for the SAS. Won't clear. Traction light won't go out. We didn't do squat to the SAS, and I know those codes didn't exist last week. I disconnect the Launch, cycle the key, and the light stays out. WEIRD.

- 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan, misfire concern. Again, no live misfire data. I double check to make sure the Modis Ultra does indeed have that function. :( Then I go for the injector kill test. Picking any cylinder stalls the engine. :lol: Oops!

- Saving code reports, screenshots and scan data is easy breezy. Recalling the same data is also quick and painless. Updating the software is exactly as easy as they advertise.

Does it sound like I'm unhappy with the tool? I'm really not. :lol: Despite the quirks, this is still a great addition to the diagnostic arsenal. Keep in mind that I demo'd a Bosch ADS625 a few months ago, and the Launch does 90% of what the Bosch does for 12% of the cost.

The portability and ease of use go a LONG way towards balancing out the weaknesses.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Tyler.

More
4 years 3 months ago #35529 by JD435
Replied by JD435 on topic Amazon Launch x431 v+ scanner
That's Tyler for an informative review. Seen others complain about the Auto-VIN not working. Purchase 431 V+ on Amazon with a $100 discount. Can not wait to use it on Honda CRV with EVAP P0456.

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds