A place to discuss hardware/software and diagnostic procedures

Re:Re:Re:APT-100 Pressure Transducer

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #59551 by Tyler
I finally got around to ordering one of these transducer sets off AliExpress after Juergen gave it his endorsement:

www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801110009701.html

In case you don't speak AliExpress-ese, APT-100 translates as, "Pico WPS-500 photocopy." :silly: Look, I'd love to have the real deal, but the WPS *starts* at $900. This thing is $300 shipped! I see a lot of value in having an in-cylinder transducer around, but it's not a tool that gets used every day. Love my PV-350, but it's getting on eight years old now, and it quit zeroing correctly awhile ago.

There's been several excellent YouTube reviews if you're curious:

Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Tyler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 2 months ago #59588 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:APT-100 Pressure Transducer
But did you get around to taking some captures with it?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

More
1 year 2 months ago #59592 by juergen.scholl

I happened to do so. I took some captures actually together with the WPS 500 at the same time/cylinder.

Currently I am out of town but I could post these captures later if someone was interested.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
1 year 2 months ago #59593 by Ben
Yes I would love to see how it compared to the wps 500!

More
1 year 2 months ago #59601 by Tyler

Nah, I don't have it yet. Made this thread mostly so Juergen would have a place to post his captures. :lol:

More
1 year 2 months ago #59687 by Tyler
It arrived! Finally got time to play with it a bit today. Didn't have time for comparisons with the PV350 or a pulse sensor. That'll come later. Some in-cylinder shots:

I'm a bit confused at the readings. :silly: In 1st gear (or what the WPS-500 would call Range 1), the conversion is something like this:

I took that cranking capture off my '13 Sentra. Soooooo by that capture, my engine only making 118 PSI cranking? :huh: I don't know what spec is, but that sounds low. Am I missing something here? Just for giggles, I tried converting 1180 kPa (1.18 V) into PSI and got 170-ish. Maybe the adapter was leaking...

I also tried out the WPS equivalent of Range 3 and got some entirely decent looking intake pulses:

It's a win so far. :cheer: I'll compare it back and forth later. I'll also take the opportunity to make a custom probe on the Ultra, since I've never had reason to play with that before.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, juergen.scholl, Chad

More
1 year 2 months ago #59730 by Tyler
Got to play with the new APT-100 a bit more. After the last post, I had a few concerns about the in-cylinder captures. So for a direct comparison, I hooked up the APT-100 to the #1 cylinder (red) and the good ol' Fluke PV350 to #4 (green). The conversion values are a different between the two transducers - The APT-100 is set for 1V/100 PSI (or 10mV/PSI), while the PV350 is set for 1mV/PSI. That's why there's a difference in scales. Cranking compression first:

APT is showing right at 116 PSI. Again. But the PV350 says otherwise:

Flukie says 166 PSI, which I find to be much more reasonable. Interestingly, if you take 1.16V, change that to 1160 mV and figure 1mV/kPa, you get to 168 PSI. :silly: Not sure if that's a coincidence or not.

Anyway, I tried some running compression waveforms as well. Turned the scales down for more detail.

#1 definitely doesn't look right. :unsure: Leaning compression towers, decompression pocket doesn't reach full vacuum, and the exhaust plateau is missing detail compared to the PV350 (which has a filter applied).

So maybe there's leakage in the hose or adapter, right? Nope, I got it to hold vacuum with a hand pump. Maybe that cylinder really is leaking? Moved the PV350 to #1 and got good waveforms. What the hell. :blink:

Tried the same setup on my '15 Equinox and the problem got even worse:

You don't have to be an expert to know something's wrong here. Aside from the transducer itself, the only thing I can figure is there's something wrong with the provided compression hose. :huh: The APT-100 uses a different style (Foster? Honestly don't know) connection than most compression testers (Milton M-style). That means I can't use any of my existing compression hoses, or swap hoses between transducers for test purposes.

Maybe the included hose just sucks? :lol: Juergen had mentioned the APT-100 benefitting from a stiffer hose. As always, any thoughts you have are welcome!

More
1 year 2 months ago #59732 by juergen.scholl
Tyler,

when I got my APT 100 the passage within the brass portion of provided hose was bad/clogged and caused erratic results. After drilling it out it performed much better.

Nevertheless I changed the interface/coupler on the transducer itself so I can work now with any standard compression hose.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
1 year 2 months ago #59735 by Matt T

when I got my APT 100 the passage within the brass portion of provided hose was bad/clogged and caused erratic results. After drilling it out it performed much better.

I was thinking it looked like a restriction/snubber between the cylinder and transducer was at least part of the problem.

Regards the kPa looking peak pressures see what the thing reads with a known shop air pressure. Then you'll know whether you've got a kPa unit or not.

More
1 year 2 months ago #59752 by Tyler

Interesting. :huh: I'll have a look at mine tomorrow.

Nevertheless I changed the interface/coupler on the transducer itself so I can work now with any standard compression hose.

Definitely going to do that. Do you happen to have a link to the coupler you're using? While I'm at it, I'll probably buy a sacrificial compression hose to use for intake pulse testing.

Regards the kPa looking peak pressures see what the thing reads with a known shop air pressure. Then you'll know whether you've got a kPa unit or not.

Another excellent idea. B)

More
1 year 2 months ago #59886 by Tyler
Ended up stealing the hose coupler off the PV350 and an adapter out of my OTC oil pressure test set. Now we're free to use normal compression hoses. B)

Back in #1 on the Sentra, the cranking compression is closer to what I was seeing with the PV350:

My whole kPa scale idea is out - 1,550 kPa converts to 224 PSI. :lol: 155 PSI is much closer to the 166 the PV350 was reporting. The running compression still isn't perfect...

I'd do another direct comparison capture, but I scavenged the coupler off the PV350 to make the APT work. :silly: I'll get another coupler and follow up later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 year 1 month ago #59932 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:APT-100 Pressure Transducer
I'm looking to up my transducer game, but I think that also is going to me uppingy scope game, lol.
Looks like a quality tool.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #60010 by Tyler

I'm looking to up my transducer game, but I think that also is going to me uppingy scope game, lol.
Looks like a quality tool.

Coming from the guy that makes his own transducers? I think your scope and transducer game is fine just fine. B)

I got around to comparing the adapted APT-100 and the PV350 in another known good engine. This time it's an '11 Kia Sportage 2.4L. Cranking first:

The rulers show these two reading within a few PSI of each other. Good enough for me. :cheer: Now running:

The APT compression tower still seems to be leaning/asymmetric. :unsure:

I also had the chance to try the APT on a known blown head gasket. '08 Equinox 3.4L. APT in red on the coolant bottle, sync on #6 in green:

The way this sensor behaves is noticeably different than other head gasket captures I've taken with normal pressure pulse sensors . There's the building of pressure (which is a red flag by itself), AND there's enough detail to tell which cylinder is blown:

Firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6. The pressure rises in the cooling system immediately after #2 compression.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied. For the price. :silly: It's not perfect, and it needs some modification out of the box to make it useable. But the capabilities are there, and the price is right.
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Tyler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, juergen.scholl

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #60326 by Ben
Well I was having a hard time deciding on the apt-100 or the wps500x... my cheap side won and I ordered the apt-100. I'll let you know how mine works out of the box when it makes its trip from china.

More
1 year 3 weeks ago #60327 by Ben
Also way off topic for this thread but I see your still using the autel, I bought there newest 1 last year (without scope module as I already had there mp408 scope)(turns out not compatible) but I don't love there data vs snapon... what erks me the most is some pids can't be graphed.... and there graphs aren't all that good... anyways all this to say how has your transition gone?

More
1 year 3 weeks ago - 1 year 3 weeks ago #60349 by Tyler

Well I was having a hard time deciding on the apt-100 or the wps500x... my cheap side won and I ordered the apt-100. I'll let you know how mine works out of the box when it makes its trip from china.

Congrats! Mine took about two weeks to arrive from the mainland. Let me know how it treats you.

Also way off topic for this thread but I see your still using the autel, I bought there newest 1 last year (without scope module as I already had there mp408 scope)(turns out not compatible) but I don't love there data vs snapon... what erks me the most is some pids can't be graphed.... and there graphs aren't all that good... anyways all this to say how has your transition gone?

Overall? I'm still very happy with mine. Going on two years now. Wouldn't hesitate to buy one again. Well, maybe I'd wait a year for the price to go down. :blush: Definitely took the place of my Snap-On as the go-to tool.

Maybe I'll start another thread? I love the Ultra, but it's far from perfect. :lol: I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Last edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by Tyler.

More
1 year 1 week ago - 1 year 1 week ago #60536 by juergen.scholl
Here are a couple of WPS and APT measurements taken simultaneously. The APT signal for some reason lags slightly behind the WPS one. With lower pressure, as occurs under idle conditions, the APT reads slightly less - 5 to 7 psi - when compared to the WPS. This difference diminishes as the absolute pressure rises.The overall waveforms do look like twins.

Last edit: 1 year 1 week ago by juergen.scholl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tyler

More
1 year 1 week ago - 1 year 1 week ago #60537 by juergen.scholl
The set up:

The APT reads 10mV for 1 psi.....

Attachments:

More
1 year 1 week ago #60560 by Ben
Well it showed up yesterday! Without a battery.... so I jumped on Amazon to order a button less 18650 because my regular 18650s didn't fit (who knew there were different length 18650s....) anyway it theyvarrived today so straight to the charger it goes! In the mean time I looked at the hose and decided it did in fact need drilled out so into the lath to get a nice centered drill hole and about 3/4 inch in the brass fitting broke off.... soooo time to replace the stupid coupler they come with and switch to automotive style.. I'll let you know how that goes when I get there. BTW did you need any special fittings to connect air coupler?

More
1 year 1 week ago - 1 year 1 week ago #60563 by juergen.scholl

Well it showed up yesterday! Without a battery...

So came mine, official reason being lithium battery transport is soooooo dangerous :dry: Nevertheless you can testdrive it with just the usb charger connected.

BTW did you need any special fittings to connect air coupler?

No, I did not. Straight forward job.

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds