Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1996 Ford F 150 4.9 L6

More
7 years 1 month ago #6897 by toadyboy1957
On the fuel pump relay is 4 wires 1 an orange and blue wire that goes to the dlc them to the pcm.. it is the fuel pump wire .. need to know its path when it goes into the PCM and out of the pcm and where does it end up at / at some point it jhas to end up at a ground // is this wire internally grounded inside the PCM or where does it go after it exits the pcm please help thanks in advance Gerald

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #6898 by Ben
Replied by Ben on topic Re:1996 Ford F 150 4.9 L6
It may have its own ground but theres no info on that. you can look at ecm diagram and check all your ecm grounds if you suspect that to be an issue it will be one of them... what are your symptoms bo power to fuel pump? Does It works when you energize or bypass the relay? Did you check the inertia shut off switch?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
7 years 1 month ago #6899 by toadyboy1957
inertia switch checked and all is good / do you have an ecm diagram for this vehicle ?? when i hook up this wire through the PCM the engine doesnt run but when i run that wire directly to ground the engine runs all day long but id like to hook it up properly

More
7 years 1 month ago #6900 by cheryl hartkorn
the pcm grounds the lb/o wire inside the pcm. the red wire on the other side of the coil goes to the pcm and splices down to the pcm relay. when the pcm relay turns on it turns the pcm on so it can ground the relay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
7 years 1 month ago #6901 by toadyboy1957
Replied by toadyboy1957 on topic 1996 Ford F 150 4.9 L6
so what do you suggest ?? check all grounds out of the PCM or what ??

More
7 years 1 month ago #6903 by Ben
Yea ill loom up a full diagram later and let you know if i find anything else

The following user(s) said Thank You: toadyboy1957

More
7 years 1 month ago #6905 by Jackolope56
Replied by Jackolope56 on topic 1996 Ford F 150 4.9 L6
Check to see if the pcm power diode is blown. Probably why you needed to supply a ground. Hope this helps you.

We cannot change the past or predict the future

More
7 years 1 month ago #6908 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 1996 Ford F 150 4.9 L6
Cheryl is right on here. If you can ground the light blue/orange wire and get the pumps to run, but don't get any fuel with the circuit hooked up normally, then I'd pursue that light blue/orange wire right to the PCM.

If the PCM isn't supplying a ground, then I'd suggest checking all powers and grounds before replacement. :(

More
7 years 1 month ago #6915 by Ben
Like tyler said start with checking your lb/o wire at pcm if you get ground there well chase the broken wire if you do not have ground well check ground inputs to pcm I'll shoot a pcm diagram up here when I get a chance I wasn't able to get to ship computer today to look up all the powers and grounds to pcm I'll post it tomorrow afternoon if we haven't got something figured out by then

More
7 years 1 month ago #6926 by toadyboy1957
Replied by toadyboy1957 on topic 1996 Ford F 150 4.9 L6
if pcm power diode or pcm main fuse or pcm main relay had any problems through the circuitry i would have no power to the fuel pump relay all powers are good

More
7 years 1 month ago #6929 by Ben
Your right about not getting power to the coil side of the fuel pump relay if you can activate it with the ground then that's not where your problem is you need to check the output at the ECM to see if your ECM is commanding ground if not then we need to check powers and grounds to ECM

More
7 years 1 month ago #6930 by Ben
I'll get the full ECM diagram later also the diagram you posted is for a 93? I think that a 96 is likely different....

The following user(s) said Thank You: toadyboy1957

More
7 years 1 month ago #6957 by toadyboy1957
I do believe the PCM is a 104 pin connector. I have no diagram as to where the powers and grounds are to this PCM .I need the pinout diagram for this PCM can you all please help me with this and thanks

More
7 years 1 month ago #6958 by Ben
I'll see what mitchell has later there my favorite for diagrams

More
7 years 1 month ago #6959 by toadyboy1957
the diagram for the underhood wiring diagram was the same from 1990 to 1996 not sure about that but what i was told by the local ford dealer

More
7 years 1 month ago #6961 by Ben
Alright I
This is the best I can do at the moment for the PCM diagram

Let me know if you need any others

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler, toadyboy1957

More
7 years 1 month ago #6974 by toadyboy1957
I have one more question there are three vacuum solenoid on the right hand side of the valve cover looking from front to back I know for a fact one of them goes to the EGR valve I have no idea where the other two go or what they operate they're all three vacuum switches all three of them have two wire connectors can you please help me with this and again thanks for all your help God bless you all

More
7 years 1 month ago #6998 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:1996 Ford F 150 4.9 L6
Nice, Ben. B) That woulda taken me forever to drag out of BBB Industries. :lol:

More
7 years 1 month ago #7005 by Ben
Thanks tyler. I just got access to mitchell on demand I like it a lot better than alldata . It's easier for me to just snap a pic with my phone and upload it rather than downsize it on a computer and upload

More
7 years 1 month ago #7006 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:1996 Ford F 150 4.9 L6

Ben wrote: Thanks tyler. I just got access to mitchell on demand I like it a lot better than alldata . It's easier for me to just snap a pic with my phone and upload it rather than downsize it on a computer and upload

Agreed! I sometimes end up taking pictures with my phone, since occasionally I'll want the wiring diagram AND a connector pin out. Mitchell won't let you use both at the same time, so I just photograph both and take it with me to the car. :)

Time to create page: 0.314 seconds